Florida Gatos, no more "Gator Bait" chants. Racist

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-Football-UF-to-discontinue-use-of-Gator-Bait-chant-148304677/

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- One of Florida's most well-known cheers at sporting events will be discontinued in an effort to become part of positive change against racism, university president Kent Fuchs announced in a letter to the UF community on Thursday.

The famous "Gator Bait" chant will no longer be performed by the Gator Band or anyone associated with the University Athletic Association.

Wrote Fuchs:

"While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our “Gator Bait” cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific historic racist imagery associated with the phrase. Accordingly University Athletics and the Gator Band will discontinue the use of the cheer."

The cheer has frequently been used after a quick band intro, followed by fans chomping twice with their arms and cheering "Gator Bait."

Lol this shit is getting ridiculous. Sounds like they wanted to just change something so they could be in the news saying they are making changes. 

2 Likes

The band may not do the intro to the cheer but good luck trying to get Florida fans to not do the chomp and gaitor bait cheer by themselves.  Years back they tried to ban Mississippi State fans from ringing those damn annoying cowbells at games but it didn’t last long.

1 Like

Can someone enlighten me in the chant and why it could be construed to be racist? Im not familiar with it. 

1 Like

"While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our “Gator Bait” cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific historic racist imagery associated with the phrase. Accordingly University Athletics and the Gator Band will discontinue the use of the cheer."

Jesus.

What's the historic racist imagery associated with "Gator Bait"?

Just the beginning. When you start trying to appease a mob, there is no end.

What imagery? Is there a history of black people being feed to the gators? And are there pic’s or painting of it?

1 Like

Supposedly black children were used as gator bait and it was a derogatory term, but I've never heard of this previously.

Thank GOD... applaud thy leftists.

President Kent gives no fuchs 

Family has been in Florida for over a hundred years, I have NEVER heard of black kids being called gator bait in Florida. 

TeeKayOh -

"Long before it became a cheer at Florida football games, the term “gator bait” dates to the late 1800s when black babies and children were used as alligator bait and the phrase was used as a slur toward black people, according to Ferris State University’s Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia."

Time to ban the nickname "Gators" 

Actually just close down the University of Florida, make sure scrub it from the history books, because history must be erased for me to feel safe.

Right on, erase anything historical that has anything even remotely to when slaves existed. The problem is due to massive levels of immigration most Americans have zero connection to America's history. But hey whatever keeps share prices higher.

TeeKayOh - 

"Long before it became a cheer at Florida football games, the term “gator bait” dates to the late 1800s when black babies and children were used as alligator bait and the phrase was used as a slur toward black people, according to Ferris State University’s Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia."

Don't you love how there are apparently words and phrases that almost no one knows or think are racists (including the probably 10's of thousands if not more African Americans who have yelled this cheer at a game or at home) that they tell you about as they are trying to strip something from being acceptable?

There have been far more insensitive things in the world that we know are racist that people don't call out, but let's focus on something that only some prof knows about.