FNG is guzzling the Aikido Kool-Aid

So, we hired a new guy. I am training him and he and I will be sharing a bullpen. We will be working extremely closely together. We get along fantastically, it is pretty bad actually, we will be getting into trouble at some point. Anyway, today we had to drive all day. Left at 9Am and didn't get back in until 530 with about 1 hour of that not being one-on-one in the car talking time. 

Anyway, the guy does Aikido and speaks badly about BJJ. I have been trying to hear him out, but he just doesn't get it. I am a purple in BJJ and I don't really care what he does but he is trying to talk down on BJJ. He says "Aikido is quicker" as if he thinks he can just snap someones wrist and walk away. I explain how I can try for wrist locks and shit but when I miss them I move to the next thing, and the next thing, and the next, etc. He tells me they train for perfection and they train to get it the first time. 

He goes on with the "Aikido can't be sparred 100% becuase the techniques are meant to destroy all of your tendons in one move." He gave the classic "It's not in MMA because everyone would get too hurt." I asked him about UFC 1, 2, 3 etc and why there were not Aikido guys and explained that there were barely any rules, so why not use them? He says it is not the culture of Aikido to willingly step into a fight, blah, blah. He explains how he hates Joe Rogan for what he says about Aikido. The whole time he is basically talking as if BJJ is inferior. 

I like the guy. I think we are going to get along great. But holy fuck I didn't think people still drank the kool aid. At one point he puts on a podcast of some guy who is talking all badass about aikido. It was painful. I have invited him to come to my gym to check it out. He is not interested. He then invites me to go to his dojo. I told him "maybe some time." 

Aikido is the biggest crock of shit "martial art" there is. It almost belongs in the dance column, not the martial arts column imo. 

Discuss. 

Just nod and smile. Delusional people can't be reasoned with, so what's the point?

The only rational solution to this is to fight him. Make him put these beliefs to the test. 

I'd say go to his dojo but bring a friend or two who have cameras ready, cause in all seriousness they will probably stand it up as soon as you start tying him in knots on the ground and then say you did something dishonorable.

Go to his gym. Choke them all the fuck out.

HexRei -

I'd say go to his dojo but bring a friend or two who have cameras ready, cause in all seriousness they will probably stand it up as soon as you start tying him in knots on the ground and then say you did something dishonorable.

Lol. Probably right.

Dude is going to wrist toss you on your head. 

Cause there ain nobody up stayas!!!!!

Time for a headlock at the office. 

Aiki jujutsu and hapkiyoosool are amazingly effective arts. Aikido is a pale shadow.

I didn't realize that everyone whoever said OP was a faggot was telling the truth until you typoed that TLDR. Did you bust his ass back?

Invite him to come train with you. Offer to go and train with him. He'll figure out really quickly what's legit.

Yossarian -

Time for a headlock at the office. 

this is the only answer.  just guard your junk.

I had a friend back in college who trained in Wing Chun and it was the exact same thing with him. He would tell me that wrestling sucked and bjj is useless because I'd never get past his chain punches. He turned down dozens of invites to come down to the gym, but he also didn't want me going to his gym having seen me wreck plenty of guys at keggers/ closing times.

Anyways, he was also a tremendous asshole whenever he got drunk and one night he was raging after he was the first one out in a poker game I'd spotted him on. He left immediately, going to his house to drink whiskey and continue working himself into a frothy lather.

A couple hours later, the game finished and I called Grant to see if I could get the $20 on the way to the bar. "FUCK you, ******! You faggots cheated and I'm not paying you shit! I was a hot little potato back in those days, and everyone in our social circle kind of knew I wasn't really the guy for that sort of thing (Grant especially). Unbeknownst to me, another friend still at the game called Grant and told him he should probably abscond from his domecile before I showed up and beat him to death.

Well, Ol' Grant took that literally and armed himself with a Bowie knife and proceeded to hide in the bushes outside his place. I pounded on his door yelling at him to open the door before I kicked it down. At that point he steps out of the shadows, knife in hand. I take a step forward and he slashes out with it, cutting my puffy North Face vest and causing down feathers to fluff up between us. I take a step back, cock my head and say "Really, dude?" He throws the knife into the dirt and replies with a half hearted "Fuck it, let's just fight."

At this point, I'm HEATED but knew he really didn't have a chance so I decided to get fancy with hilariously terrible results. I was obsessed with Cro-Cop at the time and had been working on my LHK a lot in sparring so despite my drunkenness (and dress shoes on wet grass), I decided that's how this moron was going down that night. I'm wearing jeans (and not my stretchy Lucky jeans I typically wore to the bars for this very reason)so I end up throwing some kind of retarded mawashi geri, assuredly looking like a complete idiot in the process.

He caught it on the shoulder and I slipped due to the aforementioned factors, falling flat on my back as he chain punches himself right into mount (landing 1 in maybe 6). From here, he just started wailing away with both hands while I covered up for a second until he dropped a post arm and I was able to trap it and bridge out into guard. I passed effortlessly and started POUNDING him, causing him to give up his back. I hit him a few more times and he slumped down, right on the precipice of the abyss so I stop and ask if he's done. He is, so I help him up and he apologizes for trying to shank me and asks if I want to come in and drink a beer.

I agree, he pays me the $20 and I proceed to just hang out playing Xbox and shotgunning beers, forgetting all about the bars. He finally admitted that bjj had it's uses and that he had no idea how he went from mount to mounted so quickly. Nonetheless, he never changed his mind about "Chun" and to this day thinks it's more effective than any other martial art.

Holy shit! I can't believe I typed all that, lol. TLDR: TMA dorks are utterly incapable of seeing the truth, no matter how many videos you show them. Even if you kick the shit out of him, he will never get it. Let him have his delusions, it doesn't hurt anyone! (Literally.)

I'm convinced the real "secret" to enjoying a TMA is to simply believe and embrace the fantasy.

Don't ever try to drag it into the cold light of day by sparring or trying to make it "work in the cage" or whatever. --That's not what they're for.

Some people like to dress up as Civil War soldiers and re-enact battles, others like to dress like they're living in Edo period Japan and play "samurai".

It's all pretty harmless.

Only difference is, civil war re-enactors don't generally try to get into arguments with modern Army infantry soldiers about how the tactics & equipment used back in 1863 were actually superior.

You're gonna get aikido'd

shen -

I'm convinced the real "secret" to enjoying a TMA is to simply believe and embrace the fantasy.

Don't ever try to drag it into the cold light of day by sparring or trying to make it "work in the cage" or whatever. --That's not what they're for.

Some people like to dress up as Civil War soldiers and re-enact battles, others like to dress like they're living in Edo period Japan and play "samurai".

It's all pretty harmless.

Only difference is, civil war re-enactors don't generally try to get into arguments with modern Army infantry soldiers about how the tactics & equipment used back in 1863 were actually superior.

The issue is when people start thinking it will save them. It's a false sense of security that can get people killed.

You also have to find a credible instructor. Like if the guy (unlikely a woman) has been in combat and used the same techniques he is teaching you to actually smash and kill people, then his style will work.

The pony tail herbalist aikido brigade's techiniques... Maybe not effective