Foam roller is a life saver!

TTT for later.

Ive been having rolfing, which is a therapy that works on the fascia...hurts like hell, but i get fantastic results from it

i found the roller too soft, and use a lacrosse ball, which is much better, its a hard ball with rubber on... heres kind of the idea...

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys

Excellent video, thanks Ring Girl.

I have extremely tight ITBs and tightness issues around my left hip, and foam rollers are one of the few things that make an immediate difference.

I used to get pissed because my lungs and muscles would feel great and I would be just getting into my run and would have to stop because of pain in outer knee

Swore it was through years of athletic abuse and just dealt with it.

Dated a marathoner and she swore it was a tight IT band that was creating tension and imbalance..I told her she didnt know what she was talking about

She got me the foam roller and the first time I laid on my side and rolled my outer thigh I wanted to kill someone and yelled every curse in the book.

Now I do it a couple times a week and that pain is gone.

Also feels good to lay flat on it with your back and hear your spine adjust.

I basically do IT, back, glutes

subscribe

sly fox -  Ive been having rolfing, which is a therapy that works on the fascia...hurts like hell, but i get fantastic results from it

i found the roller too soft, and use a lacrosse ball, which is much better, its a hard ball with rubber on... heres kind of the idea...

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys"&gt;www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys&lt;/a>

you can pick up a drain pipe from a hardware store...i just got a 4 inch diameter, 2 foot piece of pipe

that's way harder than the foam roller, which i like, and it gets in there real well

dizz -

you can pick up a drain pipe from a hardware store...i just got a 4 inch diameter, 2 foot piece of pipe

that's way harder than the foam roller, which i like, and it gets in there real well

i might just give that a try, i read theyd suggested it, for some reason when i thought of plastic pipe it didnt occur to me they made it at that diameter doh

t

t

Leigh - I have never used one. Never really felt the need. I don't really get sore, just run down

Best invention ever for athletes. Well, maybe since the barbell. You won't like how it feels when you use it, but you'll love the results.

dizz - 
sly fox -  Ive been having rolfing, which is a therapy that works on the fascia...hurts like hell, but i get fantastic results from it

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys"&gt;www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys&lt;/a>

Have you tried wrapping the pipe in foam? We have one at Sityodtong like that and it's fanatastic. All the advantages of the PVC without the stress on your spine a hard surface can cause.

mt

That's what I was thinking. PVC pipe with at least 7 inch diameter, foam insulation coating for it, lots of duct tape. Done.

Martinez! - 
Leigh - I have never used one. Never really felt the need. I don't really get sore, just run down

Best invention ever for athletes. Well, maybe since the barbell. You won't like how it feels when you use it, but you'll love the results.

So what results do you ACTUALLY feel dude? Serious question. As mentioned before, I do have one and sometimes use it, but only because I feel I should, but I don't actually feel any physical benefits? Am I not using it enough?

Fight! UK Online - 
Martinez! - 

So what results do you ACTUALLY feel dude? Serious question. As mentioned before, I do have one and sometimes use it, but only because I feel I should, but I don't actually feel any physical benefits? Am I not using it enough?

For me it totally worked out a very tight IT band. I primarily use it for that..roll on my outer thigh.

I use it on my back as i love the way my back feels when it adjusts (cracks)

I also use it on my glutes as when they get t0o tight I feel lower back hip tightness.

If you have access to a massage therapist then you dont need a foam roller.

I have found it is (personally) fantastic for the three areas I mentioned.

After having intensive ART/graston done a few years ago, I became a big fan of rollers/myofascial relase methods.

They may feel uncomfortable for some people within initial treatments, but they start to feel very good within short time.

Like a nice deep tissue massage.

Fight! UK Online - 
Martinez! - 

I've had hamstring issues since high school, and right now I'm running about 20-24 miles a week. If I don't roll out my hammies before and after my workouts (and at night before bed) I find that I develop knots in the hammies that make it extremely painful/difficult to run.

I roll them out and it fucking hurts to get those knots out, but then I can keep running consistently.

Fight! UK Online - 
Martinez! - 

Improved shoulder mobility. My shoulders were jacked up from years of training. My right shoulder in particular was really bad--shitty ROM, generally tight and painful. Using a foam roller on my shoulder and upper back made a world of difference. Today I have pretty much zero shoulder pain, and I can actually move them through a full ROM.

Greatly reduced knee pain. My knees naturally track to the outside of my legs. When my IT band gets too tight it aggravates the problem and the cartilege gets inflammed. That led to a lot of instability in the joint, and more injuries. Not fun.

Rolling my IT band has made a world of difference. It's literally night and day. Now I've also done some other rehab stuff, but if I'm in pain using the roller on my IT band either relieves it or reduces it greatly.

My back: My back is a piece of shit. I fucking hate it. Honestly, if my back was a guy I'd kick him in the nuts as hard as I could and then jump up and down on his face until his head popped like a grape.

Um...anyway, my back sucks. At one point I couldn't walk normally without severe pain. Chiropractic helped, as did yoga. But nothing really addressed the underlying problem until I started using the roller on my glutes, hamstrings, and lower back. Haven't been to the chiro in years, and when I have a back spasm the roller (and my trusty softball) do wonders.

I could go on, but you get the idea. For 20 bucks it's a hell of an investment. And if you make your own, not even that much. There are tons of videos on Youtube about how to use 'em, too.

Martinez, can you describe how you use it to roll out your shoulders?

dizz - Martinez, can you describe how you use it to roll out your shoulders?

Same question from me. I pretty much just use it on my IT band, but my shoulder needs a lot of work.