Footsweeps a lost art?

I feel like I cant remember the last time I saw somebody footsweep someone in Randori or Shia.Didnt there use to be a time when there were Judoka`s who specialized in footsweeps?

At Oishi's, there's a guy also named Will who's a footsweeping machine. He even won a match at the East Coast with a foot sweep in only a few seconds. He'd often sweep me before I could even try to grip.

USA's Brian Olson has beautiful/powerful footsweeps as does the Georgian Zurab Zviadauri. The footsweep is alive and well IMHO.

one word (bros.) OISHI

Hachiro Oishi, footsweep without tieing up. knock ur one foot
into other. u flew!

Steve Mocco, good example of foot sweep.

footsweeps are alive but not seen that frequently.

We have a guy from Oishi Dojo who trains at our sambo school. His foot sweeps are swift and sneaky...his key move.

I see "Oishi" mentioned 3 times in this thread.

Where is that dojo and who teaches it?

I pulled off De Ashi Harai for the first time in Randori style practice the other night. It was a thing of beauty.

Igor Zinoiev had great footsweeps in mma as does Randy Couture. Also, Rhadi Ferguson hit a monster footsweep vs. Jeff Monson in sub-grappling once.

Randy does have great foot sweeps.

I think gwfa's Oishi is Hachiro, which is not the same as Shiiro Oishi, who teaches in NYC, where Will "The Sweeper" Heinrich studies.

Sasae is one of my bread & butter throws..

I suck at em, only people i can get with them are wrestlers who put all their weight on their lead foot..

these are the fellas in the states who ive noticed to have good feet...

jefferson at 73kg has a nice switch and sasai. peterson at 90kg has feet that feel more like baseball bats hitting your ankles. okano at 81kg has a good kosotogari. pedro (73kg) has an unreal drop ouchi. taketa (60kg) has a solid kouchi gari. both flores and ottiano at 66 have good feet (ottiano's ouchi is very good), nate torra at that weight also has some nice feet. at 100kg, rhadi has a kouchi kick and seio to kosoto that can be deadly... barnes also has dangerous feet, he throws a number of people with his left deashi. olson has an unreal footsweep but i havent really seen him use it much this year, no idea why.

-resnick

to sweep or not to sweep....depends on where and how you train.

some dojos train to do sweeps more that others.

others train to do forward throws......etc.

Other places have a great mix..

jt

You know in my limited experience in Judo I notice that most people do not do them. I see Uchi Mata, Harai Goshi, Ippon Seoinage all the time. Maybe because of the timing you need to have? It just seems to me that those set of techniques could really come in handy. I really think they look cool and can be devastating.

Out.. you are right, they can and are effective and devestating. but, they are also about the hardest throws to get. they can also be easily countered if you miss them. there is also a penalty for kicking if your footsweep attempt is truly that bad.

in order to be good with feet you have to have really good body movement, decent grips, really fast feet or great timing and even better balance.

-resnick

chitownbrawla's pop, Irwin Cohen, had unbelievably beautiful footsweeps.

I agree with Josh. In addition to being devestating, they are excellent setups to other techniques. Take a look back over the last 10 years at the World and Olympic tapes and watch Nomura, the Nakamura brothers, particularly Yukimasa, Tamura, Quelmalz (Germany), among others. These players have mastered the ashi setups; however, they frequently scored big with these moves. Either way, they have their opponents back on their heels thinking about the feet and forgetting everything else. My humble opinion is that if you want to strike fear in the heart of your opponent, develope strong (scoring)ashiwaza and they will never be able to get into a groove. You will own the movement and pace of the match.

Cheers and Happy New Years to all!!!!!!!!

Yeah my instructor has us practice them over and over. It reminds me of learning other things in the Martial Arts like some striking techniques the timing is everything. It's interesting with some of them because if you are a second to early or too late the sweep is worthless. I just think they are really cool to see when done properly.

You have to make a special study of footsweeps to get good at them, really focus on them for a long time. I had knee surgury in 87, and started really focusing on ashi barai because of that. Fortunately, my coach at the time, Jacques Legrand, was a master of footsweeps, and also knew how to train to get good at them. After that I hurt my back, so I kept on working on footsweeps for a long time, as they were all I could do without pain or much fear of reinjury.

I'm not that good at them, but I got a LOT better over time.

Ben R.