For real?? SEAL washouts need safe spaces?!?!?

What do you guys think of this? Is this a legit gripe or a continuation of the pussification of America?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3636080/Heartbroken-father-demands-changes-Navy-SEAL-academy-son-kills-grueling-Hell-Week.html#comments

I... I got nothing. Phone Post 3.0

He wants those who wash out of hell week to be better monitored afterwards. He's not asking them to soften training. I see nothing wrong with it. His kid killed himself the night after ringing the bell, 5 days into hell week. Body and mind were not in a good place, and he probably should have been watched. Phone Post 3.0

IronHands - He wants those who wash out of hell week to be better monitored afterwards. He's not asking them to soften training. I see nothing wrong with it. His kid killed himself the night after ringing the bell, 5 days into hell week. Body and mind were not in a good place, and he probably should have been watched. Phone Post 3.0
This.
He's not talking about the Seals he's talking about those that crack because they're not good enough. Phone Post 3.0

FingerorMoon - 
IronHands - He wants those who wash out of hell week to be better monitored afterwards. He's not asking them to soften training. I see nothing wrong with it. His kid killed himself the night after ringing the bell, 5 days into hell week. Body and mind were not in a good place, and he probably should have been watched. Phone Post 3.0
This.
He's not talking about the Seals he's talking about those that crack because they're not good enough. Phone Post 3.0

Just seeing what the general concensus was. Is there a big issue with washouts going into depression, etc...

SEAL training is almost as difficult as choosing to listen to misogynistic hate speech. Phone Post 3.0

Liyon -
FingerorMoon - 
This.

Just seeing what the general concensus was. Is there a big issue with washouts going into depression, etc...
Huge problem. Like, very very common. Phone Post 3.0

It's a misunderstanding, a safe space for them is just somwhere that bullets aren't buzzing around their heads, like fucking wasps. Phone Post 3.0

Let me see... Someone pushes themselves to their mental and physical limit to reach a life long goal and is so broken down by the process that they pull the trigger on their own dreams and quit? Yeah, they might not be in a good mental place and need to be watched a bit. Phone Post 3.0

With the suicide rates for all branches of the military, it seems like any support that can go to these folks should be explored. 

Helping someone who is suicidal is by no stretch of the imagination pussification. Phone Post 3.0

fahker - Helping someone who is suicidal is by no stretch of the imagination pussification. Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0

fahker - Helping someone who is suicidal is by no stretch of the imagination pussification. Phone Post 3.0
This. OP is a moron. Phone Post 3.0

Is there a trend that shows that a high number BUD/s washouts behave erratically immediately afterward? If there is, then maybe some short-term monitoring would be helpful. But sometimes people just kill themselves and there's no way to mitigate that.

ryanJ - 

With the suicide rates for all branches of the military, it seems like any support that can go to these folks should be explored. 

Absolutely. Military suicides are epidemic in a host of situations. 

It makes sense. If you go too SEAL training, you already think you are a badass (which they are) but then you fail and have to ring the bell in an embarrassing fashion. I am sure there heads are not in a good spot, they should be monitored for a while and have some support. Phone Post 3.0

marines1 - Military has been notorious for treating members like a number. Upon honorable discharge we had a final formation at separation unit. Major handed our discharge and thanked us for our service to our nation and dismissed himself. 1st Sgt then took command and told us we had 30 mins to get the fuck off his base. That was 30 years ago and still pisses me off. Phone Post 3.0
Not cool Phone Post 3.0

marines1 - Some mistake "toughness" for cruel mess. Tough is being able to jump a heavy load and endure hardship. Cruel ness is being treated like a dog. British and Australian SAS treat their people cruel. Stripped naked and mocked by many. That doesn't make you tough. Hard training makes you tough. Leadership means you care for your people. People cared for will care for you back. That's the magic of leadership and team work. Phone Post 3.0

Quoted for truth

This is very real, a close friend of mine made it through selection only to be not selected due to his math scores, he said for the next week he just smoked weed and did a ton of coke hoping to get caught and thrown out. Something he dreamed of his whole life and he was so close only to be turned down for math scores. Damn right they should be monitored and counseled. Phone Post 3.0

marines1 - Father is not asking for them to lower push up number, soften training. He is asking for them to supervise men deprived of sleep for five days who then are called failures. I would ask same of my son. Phone Post 3.0

The question is whether or not there is a trend of BUD/s washouts hurting/killing themselves immediately after washing out or if this was an outlier? How many washouts don't hurt/kill themselves during this specific timeframe immediately post-washout? 99.9%?

If it's an outlier, then I don't think it warrants a special post-washout supervisory program.