? For Stock Market experts ?

It went down a lot today. Is it still in good shape, or is this the beginning of the end?

my dad made $40,000 on fidelity international emerging markets the last three months. i sh*t you not.

^ wrong

lol @ "buy low"

if the stock is so good why would it be so cheap?

hes shorting it

OMG are you like 12 or something? ill try to make this simple for you... when you buy high youre buying when the market is doing well, when you buy at a low price the market is doing badly

I shoulda known better than to ask this here! :-)

also too when youre selling at high prices making high profits you have to pay taxes on that which can really add up

Illuminutty,

You need to read "The Unbeatable Market" by Ron Ross PhD.

It's like $16.00 from Amazon. If you don't like it and think that it's the last book you'll ever read on the market, I will send you the money you paid for it.

Basically, Dr. Ross' answer to your question is as good as one you will find anywhere. The market is in a constant state of flux. NO ONE HAS EVER PROVEN THE ABILITY TO SUCCESSFULLY PREDICT THE MARKET OVER THE LONG TERM.

Attempting to "time the market" will get you burned. Put your money in index funds and ride it out over the long term. If your time frame is less than 5 years, YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN STOCKS.

$3K is the limit against orinday income in a year, if you lost more than that you can carry it over to the following year. if you have gains, you can offset the tax on gains dollar for dollar. Also, if you sell low as it was suggested earlier, you can't buy that same stock back for 30 days. if you do buy it back within the 30 day period you can't take the tax loss.

The stock market always dips.

I've seen heavy losses all last year and this year...

Along with impressive gains...

That's the way it works buddy. If you don't have the balls, stay out.

Most people trip when they see a huge correction, they panic and sell and drives the shit down even more. It's human nature. It's also the shit that will damage your portfolio the most.

My advice: Invest in solid blue chips if you're that frightened. And don't check the market on a daily basis.

"but i still dont see how selling at a loss is more profitable than selling high."

its not. taxes suck, but they're part of the deal. if you're trading then your goal should be to give yourself the biggest tax bill at the end of the year that you've ever had. because that means you've done well and made money.

"you buy high, so when you sell low you don't have to pay taxes on the gain, then you buy more stock, it rises, goes back down, you sell, repeat the process, you don't have to pay capital gains tax that wat"

LOL. thats true, you don't have to pay capital gains tax doing it like that because you haven't made any money and if you repeat that process enough times your account will have a zero balance.

It is in terrible shape, imo.

Mark

The Unbeatable Market sounds interesting...However, I disagree with it based on the fact that stocks should be about buying businesses, rather than stocks.

If you know what you are dealing with and base your decision on finding undervalue stocks, you can do well in the market.

Check out the books Rule Number One, by Phil Town, and One Up on Wallstreet, by Peter Lynch.

Warren Buffett said something like, "There is no stock market."

This is true to people that buy solid companies as opposed to those that give a shit whether the market is up or down as a whole.

Buy a winner and in the long run, it won't make a difference whether the stock market is doing bad or good.

The only reason the stock market ups and downs would matter is to a day trader or somebody who is constantly trading in and out.

Buy great companies and then let them sit. If they dip in price, buy more. Most people lose because they sell on small dips or during market corrections.

Buy quality stocks and fuck setting stop losses (unless you truly know nothing about what you're buying, in that case, pull all of your money out).

One Up on Wall Street is a great recoomendation above. Chang knows his shit.

Awesome advice by Jinx. Couldn't agree more. Are you a professional, Jinx?

Jinx,

Retirement Planning

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it
Would now be worth $49.00.
With Enron, you would have had $16.50 left of the original $1000.00.
With WorldCom, you would have had less than $5.00 left.
If you had purchased $1000 of Delta Air Lines stock you would
have $49.00 left
But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of beer one year ago,
drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling
REFUND, You would have had $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink
heavily and recycle.
It's called the 401-Keg Plan.

Read "A Random Walk."

JCNovak, I hope you don't feel too safe up 18% on me. I've got some big plans for this week.

Just giving you a heads up.