For the guys 40

Edit* damn app! I meant 40 and older* 

Have you found yourself training more Gi or training both gi and no gi about evenly?

Reason I ask is because most of the 40 plus crowd at my Academy seems to favor Gi. I wasn't sure if it was just at my place or something pretty common. 

I thinks that's pretty common. You can slow down the game a lot more with a gi and use a lot of trickery so older more experienced guys often tend to gravitate towards it.

1 Like

No gi is too hard on my upper body joints. Now, considering that I started doing this as I child and now at 55, I have way too many joint problems to count, so no gi It requires more "in"pressure with my arms thus causing more stress on my shouders, elbows. With gi, it is not as hard, I feel more in control of grips and pace... but I'm a judo guy. :)

Older skews towards Gi, slower pace, more control, can catch your breathe more, less bumps and bruises, don't catch as many accidental knees or elbows because less scrambles

50 plus and prefer no gi. Not the norm me thinks though

Over 40 and I think no gi is easier on the body.

Anyone can hang on to a gi for dear life and that in itself makes a lot of movements physically more difficult. Even if only marginally. The friction of the gi adds to this. And it's less safe to just hang out in certain positions with the gi on, with lapels and collars and sleeves available.

Maybe my view will change after 50.

Red Stuff -

Anyone can hang on to a gi for dear life and that in itself makes a lot of movements physically more difficult. Even if only marginally. The friction of the gi adds to this. And it's less safe to just hang out in certain positions with the gi on, with lapels and collars and sleeves available.

You don't think the scrambles and speed make no gi more dangerous? 

I only train no gi for the past couple of years but that's because my gym doesn't offer gi Gi to me is much easier on the body and my cardio lasts longer.

i've only been training gi, but that is only because I can't make the nogi sessions.  I think the only thing i've noticed after 40 is I can't rely on my cardio anymore which has forced me to work on my technique and I found i need my cardio less...

The Gi is easier on the body, plus if you're doing No Gi you're more likely doing leg attacks which lead to more scrambles, spinning, kicking away etc...

Only thing for Gi would be hand and finger pain IMO

1 Like

liquidrob - The Gi is easier on the body, plus if you're doing No Gi you're more likely doing leg attacks which lead to more scrambles, spinning, kicking away etc...

Only thing for Gi would be hand and finger pain IMO

And hand/finger pain is preventable depending on your game

Haven’t done no gi in 5 yrs. It’s a young mans gsme 

1 Like

50 and almost exclusively nogi and wrestling.  I havent been on the mats in 2 weeks though except to drill takedowns with my son who is a 17yr old wrestler 

ChipW -

50 and almost exclusively nogi and wrestling.  I havent been on the mats in 2 weeks though except to drill takedowns with my son who is a 17yr old wrestler 

Any reason why you only train no gi? How do you feel usually? (Injury wise) How do you feel against the younger guys? 

The Closed Guard -
Red Stuff -

I guess not. There are fewer things to worry about therefore you can bide your time a bit easier. 

Red Stuff -
The Closed Guard -
Red Stuff -

I guess not. There are fewer things to worry about therefore you can bide your time a bit easier. 

Cool cool, do you guys have a lot of leg lockers/foot lockers at your academy ?

I'm 44 and I train no gi more.  I enjoy takedowns, which are less of a thing in the gi.  Gi grips tend to hurt my fingers.  I only weight around 135 and I find it much easier to deal with larger opponents in no gi.  In the gi I find it is easier for them to latch on and use their strength and size.  

No gi has more movement and a faster pace, but I wouldn't characterize it as speed and scrambles.  The most speed and scrambling happens with white belt wrestlers and it decreases from that point on.  These days I don't roll with white belt wrestlers very often.  

As for leg attacks, I don't feel that they are harder on the body as long as you are emphasizing control over positions rather than quickly trying to catch a sub or trying to escape explosively.  Doing it that way will result in injury no matter how old you are.  

Train both.

Like both.

Overall the gi is harder on the body. 

Gi is harder on the inner body, no gi harder on the outer body (more superficial).

56. I do no gi occasionally but get bored with it pretty quickly - but it's not like I'm a big cloth player any ways; my grips are pretty basic and never use any lapel guards.

The Closed Guard - 
Red Stuff -
The Closed Guard -
Red Stuff -

Cool cool, do you guys have a lot of leg lockers/foot lockers at your academy ?

There's a decent mix of leg lockers and non. An interesting thing is that one of the girlfriends who just watches has said that everyone is always more relaxed on no gi nights.