For the ladies!

Don't miss the opportunity to train with one of the BEST female BJJ practitioners in the World!!

Multiple time Black Belt World Champion, Michelle Nicolini Seminar!

Women ONLY

When: Saturday April 3
Time: 12-3pm
Where: Fifty/50 BJJ (Arlington, VA)

See the event on Facebook for details: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=324522902329

All women from any affiliation and all BJJ levels are welcome.

TTT!!!!!

Today (Wednesday) is the last day to pre-register and SAVE $15.

Don't miss the opportunity to train with one of the top ladies in BJJ today!

EpicBeard - I think it is kind of ridiculous that only women can go, is there a specific reason for why that is?

this is one of many reasons i find womens bjj and athletics in general laughable.

she is apparently a black belt world champion,why would you deny male students the chance to learn great techniques from a world class competitor.

Dude, there are plenty of women that don't want to train with men, let them at least have this. You're the one being laughable by insisting on training with her when there are countless number of male black belts to train with.

Actually it is a niche market, women that is. By making it a women's only seminar more women will go. Smart of her imo. Hillary had 30 females at a women's only seminar in Dallas as a brown belt!

I think the women who ALREADY train don't care. So it is really a pity.

I'm doing womens only seminars from now on. Excellent idea.

EpicBeard - I think it is kind of ridiculous that only women can go, is there a specific reason for why that is?<br /><br />this is one of many reasons i find womens bjj and athletics in general laughable.<br /><br />she is apparently a black belt world champion,why would you deny male students the chance to learn great techniques from a world class competitor.

Have you ever been able to train with someone your size and strength who is so significantly better than you at BJJ that they can do whatever they want to you??

I've been training for 4.5 years and I still haven't (well until training with Michelle the other day).

That is why it's women only.

Moreover, Michelle is staying at Fifty/50 for a whole week and training with a lot of the guys at the gym every single day. Her main training partners in Brazil are men.

Stop being ignorant and selfish. Grow a pair of balls and go train with someone your own size.

EpicBeard - 
Have you ever been able to train with someone your size and strength who is so significantly better than you at BJJ that they can do whatever they want to you??

I've been training for 4.5 years and I still haven't (well until training with Michelle the other day).

That is why it's women only.

I don't know what you are trying to say, are you claiming that the only way people beat you is through having a strength advantage? If so then yes, I am fortunate to train with very skilled grapplers who are smaller than me that can submit me. it makes me better.

and if you what you say is true then you must be a world champ or top level competitor yourself, if you have never been dominated by someone your size as you say.

There is much more to training than rolling 110% everytime and i wouldn't expect much sparring to be done at a seminar anyways.

I may not be a super-champion badass like you but i have been a medalist in major tournaments fighting above my belt level (blue), and feel very confident in myself and what i am made of.

Thank you for the training instructions. I'm not sure how my explanation led you to assume that I train "110% everytime". You must be omniscient or something.

Or. You. Are. An. Idiot.

It's really hard to be beaten by people your size in training when you don't get to TRAIN with people your size. And smaller...well smaller people don't exist in most gyms for most women.

I've never met a man smaller than me. They don't
exist. In fact I've only ever met 2 women in jiu-jitsu that are smaller than me. Michelle has 10 pounds on me and I still only know 2 dudes smaller than her, and only 2 other only 10lbs heavier than her.

That's what I was talking about. It's not about not knowing how to train, it's about not having the option of training partners. Although, I'm sure you might have noticed it if you weren't so wrapped up in how awesome you are at jiu-jitsu.

We aren't complaining, I just don't think it's too much to ask that once in awhile, we get to have a room full of training partners too. Why the eff do you care anyway?

Btw, congrats on being a high level BLUE belt. You must be so proud of yourself to bring it up in conversation that had nothing to do with your competition "success". Look everyone, it's the next Marcelo Garcia right here!

irish,

don't respond. it detracts from the point of your thread.

epic, start a separate thread. this is to garner support and enrollment into a seminar she's setting up. they can invite who they want to their PRIVATE seminar.

im a brown belt, fyi. thought i'd throw that in there because that is super important.

EpicBeard... is it that hard to understand that it is hard enough for a female purple belt to find other females at her skill level to train (much less compete) with, and even more rare that they would happen to be in the lowest weight class offered to women by the IBJJF? If you interpreted irishspirit's post as some kind of strength advantage complex, then let me make it simple for you... advanced women that weigh 110 lbs have a difficult time finding appropriate training partners. And if space is limited, why shouldn't the seminar be open to only women, especially in a school that hosts seminars from top level competitors for dirt cheap on average of MORE than once a month? Your input in this situation is super unnecessary and irrelevant, and I have the feeling you are the type of guy who would whine about Black History Month too because the point goes way over your head, much like this case.

And this is coming from a dude who REALLY wishes he could have participated in that seminar.

Anyway, here is a video from the seminar, and everyone should check the schedule every so often because 50/50 BJJ has a TON of top level guys coming through all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YV6jDlyRxA

I had a female bjj instructor a couple of times it really increased my confidence in bjj as if a female can use the leverage etc. to throw guys around then it must really work??
But in answer to your thread I have no problem with women just wanting to roll with women a lot of times in class since I am usually one of the bigger guys women learn the basics with each other and try to work out the leverage and techniques on someone heavier my .02

is sistersteel welcome to attend women's only events like this one?

EpicBeard - I think it is kind of ridiculous that only women can go, is there a specific reason for why that is?

this is one of many reasons i find womens bjj and athletics in general laughable.

she is apparently a black belt world champion,why would you deny male students the chance to learn great techniques from a world class competitor.

I imagine it's to keep guys like you out.

EpicBeard - I mentioned my belt level after you mentioned that i lacked the testicles to train with males my own size, i offered a rebuttal and told you that while i am not a top competitor yet, i compete with and against men my own size and larger. I am not going to return insults, or get in to an argument with an obviously immature girl like the OP.

For some reason, the OP cannot explain why the a seminar must be female only (denying male training partners a chance to learn) with out insults and mockery and personal attacks. For some reason this seems to have struck a nerve and i am not going to continue this any further with someone who lacks the maturity and basic logic to answer a simple question without throwing a tantrum.

Let's recount, shall we?

1. I post a thread promoting one the highest level females in the sport.

2. Your first post puts down ALL female athletes.

3. In spite of your patent disrespect and obvious disdain for women, you state that you want to train with them (odd).

4. Continuing, you even go on to accuse Michelle of completely limiting her training to only women (not true since, like all other women, most of her training partners are male).

I'm curious, but exactly what kind of response did you expect your negative, contradictory hijack to elicit? By the by, she's a black belt under Leo fucking Vieira. Who are you again?

As I stated before, like most females, I do not often get the opportunity to train with high-level women close to my size. If you're a man between 130-200 and train at a quality academy, you probably have at some point, trained with a quality black belt at or around your weight.

You still have yet to answer why it is a big deal to you that we want to reserve this one, single opportunity for ourselves? About once a month we have high-level (ADCC veteran, Mundial gold, etc.) males coming in for seminars. The usually stay for at least a few days and always train with all the students. In fact, we had a co-ed Felipe Costa seminar at our gym only 3 days before the women's seminar. Though people of all sizes attended, the lighter guys were justifiably excited about the opportunity to train with someone elite-level at a very light weight. Ryan is a featherweight, but is still considerably heavier than Felipe. When you are 120 lbs, that shit matters.

Oh and since you decided to bring tournament resumes and skill level into the equation... I am a purple belt with an undoubtedly higher level of competitive success than yourself. The reason I won't sit here and list my credentials is because, regardless of how base and lacking your logic may be, my tournament wins are are still largely irrelevant to the current line of discussion (with the exception of demonstrating that I have a great deal more experience than you and, if you follow the line of thought, a more informed opinion).

Just for the record, though, there isn't a single "major" tournament in the world where you can compete UP a skill division, so I'm not sure what "major" tournament(s) you think you have medals from.

With an attitude like yours, I sincerely doubt that you'll ever make it to being a reasonably good competitor, much less a "top"one--you'll probably annoy someone better than you who'll choke you until you're stupid(er).

PS All the girls at our gym roll with the guys.

I'm all behind the idea of women's-only seminars, but I can understand both sides.

You have to understand the world we're thrown into. In a place where women's sports in general are laughed at (thanks for that little snide comment, by the way), imagine the pressure put on women who want to compete in a COMBAT sport. It sucks. We love the sport as much as you do but our bodies limit and inhibit our training in more ways than you can imagine.

That being said, I'm bigger on the spectrum of women. I weigh 150 pounds, and with the exception of a couple minor lovehandles I'm mostly muscle. Irish is tiny. She's incredibly talented but even at that training has to be hard for her. Most women in the sport are around 120-135 lbs, which taking into consideration natural strength advantage puts them at about a 115 pound man's strength. Most, not all.

That's intimidating. Imagine if every single day your training was pretty much competing in an absolute division, because many guys go hard to ensure they don't tap to a girl. If you bring in a woman, like Michelle, who's put up with all of that for years and is a first degree black belt under Leo Vieira, it's a major inspiration to women. Give the women an opportunity to learn without the pressures of a dick-driven society and women are going to flock. They feel comfortable.

I've taught three seminars--two open and one women's only. The two guy seminars were GREAT. I loved them. 67 people at one (free seminar split with Hermes França, I wasn't the one drawing people) and 29 at the other. At each of these there were only 2-5 women. They worked with the guys and did what all women do every class. But even at that I was intimidated teaching. I go in facing prejudice that I'm not supposed to be as good at a combat sport because I don't have some dangling anatomy between my legs. My women's seminar, on the other hand, drew just under 30 women from something like 10-15 different gyms, all getting together because the rare opportunity to 1) learn from a high ranked female and 2) be able to roll and gauge their progress with people their size. And there's the idea that at an all women's seminar, the techniques are going to be geared toward women.

There's no pressure, it's fun, and it's an escape from the training we go through every day.

If Jen wont brag for herself I will brag for her

Check out this video...she is always beating people bigger and stronger than her. I myself think thats awesome and if girls want to train together...so be it. what does it matter to you? You scared they will learn something new and tap you with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0VJjDqhSFA