For the smoker fans out there

I’m throwing a party on Saturday to introduce my friends to our new house. I decided pulled pork, hot dogs and hamburgers makes sense along with salt potatoes and smoked Mac and cheese. These two have been on since midnight last night.

I can’t wait!

5 Likes

I assume you are planning to reheat the meat on Saturday? I have done that several times and I think it makes the meat even more tender. Thinking about breaking out the smoker this weekend too. I have that itch right now.

2 Likes

That is the plan, and I agree with you. Pulled pork is always better the second time around!

3 Likes

Hey, a GMG!

the office fist bump GIF

3 Likes

Muh Man!

3 Likes

One of the big things with brisket and pork butts is letting them rest after cooking. Finally figuring that out has really raised my smoking game

4 Likes

I was just reading that. I read an hour rest. What do you do?

I wrapped mine in foil, put them in a cooler with a bunch of towels for minimum one hour, I had three butts and one I didn’t pull was still at temp in there three hours later

2 Likes

I smoke them for a couple hours and then slow cook for another 8 hours.

1 Like

I have done that with success before too! This’ll be the first beginning to end smoke.

2 Likes

What is the OG’s opinion on wrapping them?

1 Like

I usually rest 3-6 hours. FTC’d tight

1 Like

Pork butts I wrap in foil after the stall. Some do it before, some not at all. Different style smokers will play a part in what’s best too.

And what is salt potatoes?

1 Like

I had no idea salt potatoes are a regional dish!

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve never heard of but I’m in the south. We’d do potato salad or cole slaw. Does it taste really salty?

1 Like

They are salty and delicious!

2 Likes

Your granite counters are almost the same color as mine. Mine are just a touch lighter.

1 Like

As long as I can. Someone told me that he tries to rest an hour for every hour he smokes.

Last time I did a smoke I started 2 six lbs briskets around 8am. I smoked them to an internal temp between 195-200 which took until around 3. Then I put them wrapped into my oven at 170 and left them there to around 6:30 when I took them out and they were fabulous.

2 Likes

Yeah. I throw mine in a Yeti cooler and let it sit for 2-3 hours to rest. Really does wonders.

2 Likes

I use one of these for resting my briskets. It works great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BMCLMU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_K412JCCW46XKRCZ57X7R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes