Forgotten money rules!

When I started my current job, they told me about an employee stock purchase plan they offered.
You have money automatically withdrawn from each paycheck, which they put in a holding account. Then at the end of each quarter, they calculate the average stock price over the past 3 months, and take the money and purchase shares at 90% of that average price.
Seemed like a good deal, so I signed up.
Well, I have direct deposit, so I never get a paycheck or pay stub, and basically over the years I forgot all about it!
That was until today, when they sent out a letter with some information updates about the plan.
Realizing I had been buying stock all this time, I logged into the website they have to see what I had in my account.
At today's closing price, if I sold the stocks today I would have just over $35K!
Woo Hoo!

Now the tough decision of whether I should just go back to ignoring it and let it continue to grow for something down the line, or whether I should cash out some of it and splurge on something.

Just FYI, this has never been part of my retirement savings or anything like that. I have about $400K between a couple different retirement plans, and I invest the maximum amount into my current plan.
I also have no debt. I don't own any credit cards, my cars are paid off, as is my house. Only bills are utilities, food, and gas in the cars. All my current monthly expenses are roughly 30% of my take home pay.

Might be time to pick up that Jaguar F-Type I've been dreaming about. I've got about $45K in liquid assets right now, and the car would be around $70K out the door. So if I cashed out all the stocks, I'd be able to pay cash for it and still have $10K cash on hand in case of an emergencies in the next couple months, as I build my savings back up. And I would keep buying the stocks going forward. 

What would the fiscally savvy OG do with a sudden windfall, given my current expenses?

richie rich-

i found 20 bucks in my pocket once

I recently found a book of stamps in my coat from last winter. I was pretty excited. Phone Post 3.0

I'd recommend sending money to me. I'll post pics of what I do with it. Phone Post 3.0

Rambo John J - richie rich-

i found 20 bucks in my pocket once
Love it when you put on a suit jacket you haven't worn in a while, or a seasonal coat, and find money in the pockets! Phone Post 3.0

Your squared away, good job. Buy real estate instead of a car.

Picky McSnobberson - I'd recommend sending money to me. I'll post pics of what I do with it. Phone Post 3.0
Does it involve your anus? Might be interdasting. Phone Post 3.0

caseman - Your squared away, good job. Buy real estate instead of a car.
I could buy several city blocks worth of buildings in Detroit! LOL Phone Post 3.0

If nothing else, sell it and buy low cost passively managed mutual funds that track their market's average weighted according to your asset allocation.

AKA diversify

Bet it on red Phone Post 3.0

Pics of your trophy wife? Phone Post 3.0

TFK_digthisbigcrux - Pics of your trophy wife? Phone Post 3.0
LOL, if I had a wife, I'd likely have thousands in credit card debt for dresses and shoes, living in a house too big for our needs, upside down on a 30 year mortgage, and leasing new cars every two years to keep up with the neighbors!
No wife and no kids equals financial freedom. Phone Post 3.0

Have you done something memorable in the last 5 years? That's the way I would look at it. If you have been able to expand your horizons by going on trips, learning new things or buying cool toys then continue to save. If all you have been doing it the reasonable responsible thing then now is the time to make memories or buy something cool. In the end you remember what you did not the things you skipped. Just make sure you are living your life not just saving for when it finally starts.

Not sure how to read thread title. Phone Post 3.0

OP do yourself a favor and keep the cash. Keep on ignoring it and stack. Cash is king, and that car will depreciate in value 10 seconds after you drive it off the lot. How about you just rent that vehicle for a week to get your enjoyment, or go on craigslist and see if you can find a desperate seller, maybe even buy last years model at half the price. No need to throw almost 100 grand away on a vehicle. Unless you got it like that of course... Phone Post 3.0

Must be nice btw you can't take it with you do have some fun cause you don't get a second round Phone Post 3.0

ltr

Take out a few grand and go somewhere you have never been. Save the rest you financially well off mofo Phone Post 3.0

onyx2002 - Have you done something memorable in the last 5 years? That's the way I would look at it. If you have been able to expand your horizons by going on trips, learning new things or buying cool toys then continue to save. If all you have been doing it the reasonable responsible thing then now is the time to make memories or buy something cool. In the end you remember what you did not the things you skipped. Just make sure you are living your life not just saving for when it finally starts.
My last vacation was 9 years ago.
My only real passion is cars, so the only things I've purchased of significant value that are non-essentials have really been vehicles. My last one was my BMW M3 that I bought 3 years ago. Before that was my 68 Corvette I bought 6 years ago. Before that was the 96 Viper, 8 years ago. All bought with cash. Phone Post 3.0

KnockoutThoughts - OP do yourself a favor and keep the cash. Keep on ignoring it and stack. Cash is king, and that car will depreciate in value 10 seconds after you drive it off the lot. How about you just rent that vehicle for a week to get your enjoyment, or go on craigslist and see if you can find a desperate seller, maybe even buy last years model at half the price. No need to throw almost 100 grand away on a vehicle. Unless you got it like that of course... Phone Post 3.0
I agree that having cash reserves is important.
I guess my real question is how much is necessary?
I know this question is individualized based on income and expenses, that's why I tried to give mine, so folks could make an informed opinion.
It's not good to live paycheck to paycheck, but on the other side, what good is sitting on a huge pile of cash and never enjoying life, doing things you like, or buying things that bring you pleasure? Phone Post 3.0