Formula 1: 2022 OFFICIAL SEASON THREAD

I guess he said he lost brakes. Allegedly.

1 Like

I’d imagine wrecking one of those old classics has to give you much more of a oh shit moment than wrecking one of today’s f1 car. It makes me cringe seeing a classic car get junked and im not even the one driving it.

5 Likes

It’s crazy how hard guys push these priceless death traps.

4 Likes

I wonder if there is anything you can take from one of these races that translates to the race coming up. Obviously that classic and current f1 cars are completely different worlds and very very different but with the track being a public road I feel like there could be changes to it year to year. There has to be some info you can take away from it that could help in the upcoming race. Something as little as you notice a bump in a spot that maybe wasn’t there before.

Max was there watching this weekend.

2 Likes

Lmao…whoops

1 Like

Those cars look so tiny

That’s what I was thinking. The driver is crammed into that tiny cockpit with their head sticking way out. It looks so fucking sketchy. It’s amazing that more people didn’t die driving those death traps around. All the cars from back in the day going way back to the beginning look so dangerous compared to today.

1 Like

They are tiny.

3 Likes

Looked like a go cart going thru the pool section

3 Likes

Helmut marko taking shots at sainz. The ferarri boss was talking about how much redbull has spent in upgrades and that they have spent so much more that ferarri. He thinks they’ve spent 75% of their budget. Marko said that’s not true and he thinks they are about even in money since sainz keeps wrecking the car and that can’t be cheap.

5 Likes

Helmut is a brilliant troll.

5 Likes

In the older cars, the crumple zones were basically the driver’s ankles and knees.

3 Likes

This…lots of drivers in the 70s and 80 destroyed their feet and ankles…see Rick Mears

2 Likes

Even in the 90s drivers were still getting leg damage. Michael Schumacher broke his leg at Silverstone 1999 after brake failure.

Ah yes, I remember that one. Sid Watkins was the F1 chief doctor at the time, he got to the car and Schumacher just said “It’s my leg, Sid.” I seem to remember them carrying him to the ambulance with marshals holding up sheets of some kind to try to shield him from the cameras.

It’s interesting to note how Schumacher reacted to an issue caused by the team, in comparison to how Hamilton reacts to a team mistake. From this article:

Stefano Domenicali is quoted as saying:

"…and the other thing that is very important for the team perspective, he never ever accused the team for any problem that he had.

"And he could have had the chance to do it.

"I remember 1999 when he had a problem in Silverstone, when he crashed and broke his leg, it was a problem unfortunately that a bolt was not tight enough on the brakes.

"But you never heard anything negative and [heard Schumacher] say ‘the team did a mistake’.

“So that’s something that you bring home and you will have all the troops, all the people that will fight even stronger for you in that situation.”

4 Likes

Sid is such a legend. Brilliant man.

I seem to remember Schumi saying in an interview that seconds after the impact his vision closed in and he thought he was about to die ( prob caused by the huge G forces). Then he woke up with leg pain, but was trapped and could not get out the car.

He was waving while being taken to the ambulance, he said to show to his family and friends that he was okey…

And yeah, Schumi had an incredible team spirit. He led by example, and would not allow any blame culture ( which Ferrari are notorious for).

I remember a story about the first day he was to be testing for Ferrari before the 1996 season at Fiorano. Micheal turned up 30 mins early ( typical German), but the Ferrari mechanics all arrived late, and not prepared for the day. This never ever happened again! He apparently lay down how things would be done that morning!

2 Likes

Just rejoining this thread since b/f the season started because I was behind on watching the races and didn’t want any spoilers. Shit, you guys post a lot. No chance I can read everything posted.
I’m a newer fan. I got hooked after watching the netflix show, seasons 1-3. Then I recorded all of last seasons races, watched them all, then saw the netflix of last season. Then I watched all of this seasons races over the last few weeks. I’m caught up now.
Due to basically being a new, uneducated fan, who is also hooked, I have some questions and opinions that I’m curious to hear what you guys think.

1. is it me, or did netflix do a shitty job at documenting what went on last season? seems to me like someone less educated on the sport than me made the decisions on how to tell the story of last season. Fucking missed the boat, IMO. do you guys feel the same?

2. I haven’t been able to understand why a team either drops off or improves significantly from where it was the season prior. For example Ferrari was 6th in 2020, they got back to 3rd in 21 but it was a distant 3rd, right? MB was #1 for a long stretch and this season they seem like a disaster even though they are in 3rd. what are the major factors that come into play for such a change? I get a change in drivers can be significant but there is obviously more to it. Do teams try to make improvements to a car/engine in the offseason and sometimes fuck the car up by trying something new? is that what happened to MB this year? comparably, wtf has made Ferrari so much better this year than last?
    do rule changes b/t seasons make a difference in how one team performs better or worse?

it seems like even Hass is doing a lot better this year. I passed a Hass F1 van on the highway near Boston last week. No idea what that was all about.

thanks for any education I get from you guys.

I do like seeing hamilton not winning this year. I was hoping that Bottas would finish ahead of him in miami. close but wasn’t to be.

2 Likes

Did you ever watch that doc about the safety of Indycar over the years…its excellent…they have their own Sid

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying it!

The Netflix series is apparently a standard reality show, in that they creatively edit the footage to make drama where it doesn’t exist, to sell a “story”. I haven’t watched it myself, but several people have remarked as much in this thread.

We have just had a big change to the aerodynamic regulations in F1, this has meant that every team has had to design a new car from scratch, resulting in a big shake-up in the grid positions.

4 Likes