Forrest at the right place at the right time ? ? ?

right place right time

if he fights rampage 100 times

he loses 99

That's one thing i like about Griffin: I've never heard him make an excuse. Just the opposite, he's clearly stated that he's not as talented as the other guys. He just works hard and does all he can. The Anderson fight though....that was the wrong guy at the wrong time.

Grakman - 

And being shown favoritism?

Machida not getting a title shot had nothing to do with Forrest Griffin.

"And Griffin is wary of the threat The Dragon poses.

He admitted: "I want nothing to do with that guy. Not at all. He's a tough fighter and I'd like to fight a lot of other guys first."

Funny how that worked out, with him never having to fight Machida.

D_S_A - 
Grakman - 

And being shown favoritism?

Machida not getting a title shot had nothing to do with Forrest Griffin.

"And Griffin is wary of the threat The Dragon poses.

He admitted: "I want nothing to do with that guy. Not at all. He's a tough fighter and I'd like to fight a lot of other guys first."

Funny how that worked out, with him never having to fight Machida.
First of all, he lost the belt to Rashad, or in all liklihood he would have had to fight Machida anyway. 

Second, if I'm not mistaken other fighters have said they don't want to fight Machida, either. Regardless, what Forrest says and what he would do / the UFC would do are not the same thing.  I'd put serious money on Griffin taking a fight with Machida if it was offered. Who's worse - Machida or Anderson Silva? And he took the Silva fight in a non-title bout no less.

If Machida had gotten the title shot before Rashad, everyone would be complaining that Rashad was blackballed and Forrest was being protected. Which is it? lol

Yeah Forrest Sucks, except that he proved to be better them Shogan and Rampage.

Once someone does it, they'll have a good claim to championship as well.

Forrest was also winning vs Rashad, until he ate some punches on the ground.

ttt

Right place at the right time....which makes him fortunate to have earned the title by capitalizing on the unique opportunity.

I'm gonna stop you here because Forest was in the rightest place at the right time of ALL TIME!!

he's got "awww shucks" appeal
that's VERY big in some quarters

that image opened many doors for him.

Forrest deserves all the credit in the world for what he's accomplished.

ttt

if by right place at the right time you mean in the gym working his ass off, then i agree.

MountainMedic - 

if by right place at the right time you mean in the gym working his ass off, then i agree.

Shogun wasn't a fluke
I thought Rampage won

Forrest was the UFC LHW champ, no one can take that away from him regardless of the situation.. he had to train, show up, and win the fights, I dont regard Forrest as a great fighter but he is a work horse and his hard work payed off.

He had to be the least talented UFC champion of all time, imo (post ufc-30).

I take it the name Steve Jennum means nothing to you?

Rampage being the champion going into the Forest fight, I thought he should have won. It was a close fight, and I didn't feel Forrest did enough to TAKE the title from the champion.

The Shogun and Tito fights were impressive as well, but he didn't fight either guy at 100%.

this would make evans an average champ too then. Forest was working him for two rounds and could have won an easy fight if he didnt get caught with a major closed eye swing for the fences

Novice - 
He had to be the least talented UFC champion of all time, imo (post ufc-30).

I take it the name Steve Jennum means nothing to you?

lol, I take it post-UFC 30 means nothing to you?

i vote serviceable LHW that was indeed in the right place at the right time.