Forrest Griffin: 'I walked to God'

Yancuna island - And to the people that accuse atheists of being horrible no atheists world leaders start wars and have murdered millions of people in cold blood in some fake make believe holy war.

How much blood does Christianity have on it's hands?
Scumbags.

*facepalm*

Surely this is a troll attempt. But just in case it's not...

3 of the 4 most brutal mass killing dictators the world has ever known have all been specifically non-religious. And the one exception (Hitler), held a worldview that was an amalgamation of Nietzche's atheism and Germanic nationalism:

1. Adolf Hitler – around 11 million

2. Joseph Stalin – anywhere from 20 to 100 million

3. Chairman Mao Zedong – 50 to 70 million

4. Pol Pot – around 1 million

Does this mean that atheism is inherently genocidal? Of course not. It just shows the silliness of the claim that 'religion' is somehow the major cause of mass killing and evil dictators.

As for "Holy War" being the cause of most warfare deaths, that's also simply not factually true:

"By every reasonable estimate, World War II was the single bloodiest conflict ever, taking some fifty million lives worldwide according to the most conservative count. (Shown in BOLD.) Following this are three wars centered in China and/or Mongolia (a recurring theme, according to my research) with an average of almost thirty million fatalities. Only then do we encounter the Taiping Rebellion, also in China, the first entry on the list of history’s worst wars with even a tenuous connection to religion; the leader of the rebellion had earlier declared himself the younger brother of Jesus Christ. That little-known war took twenty million lives. Further down the list is the Dungan Revolt of Chinese Muslims against their Han oppressors with eight million deaths, and much further down comes the Thirty Years’ War, notable as the first conflict on the list in which religion arguably was the reason the war was fought.

Event Number of deaths (est.) Location

1. World War II 50,000,000 Worldwide

2. An Shi Rebellion 33,000,000 China

3. Mongol Conquest 30,000,000 Asia, Europe

4. Manchu Conquest 25,000,000 China

5.Taiping Rebellion 20,000,000 China

6. World War I 15,000,000 Worldwide

7. Timur Conquests 15,000,000 Asia

8. Dungan Revolt 8,000,000 China

9. Russian Civil War 5,000,000 Russia

10. Second Congo War 3,800,000 Congo

11. Napoleonic Wars 3,500,000 Worldwide

12.Thirty Years' War 3,000,000 Europe

13. Yellow Turban 3,000,000 China Rebellion

14. Polish-Lithuanian 3,000,000 Europe Deluge

15. Korean War 2,500,000 Korea

16. Vietnam War 2,495,000 Asia

17. French Wars 2,000,000 France of Religion

18. Shaka's Conquests 2,000,000 Africa

19. Second Sudanese 1,000,000 Sudan Civil War

20. Crusades 1,000,000 Middle East

Even combining all of the wars in which religious beliefs help to identify the two sides (in italics on the chart) produces a total of 35 million deaths from six wars, or an average of 5.8 million. Compare this to the total for all other (non-religious) wars - 193 million from fourteen wars (avg. 13.7 million) and it rapidly becomes clear that so-called "religious" wars are not really more deadly than any other kind. On average, they’re actually much LESS deadly.

The truth is, living in China is a far greater risk factor for dying in war than all the religions in history. Wars centered in Asia occupy seven of the top ten places on the list, or half the list as a whole. The death toll for only wars in Asia amounts to 145 million from 10 wars, averaging 14.5 million (almost three times the average for so-called "religious" wars.)"  [source article]

And finally, when one of the most famous modern atheists, Christopher Hitchens, was dying of cancer, he chose to be treated by an evangelical Christian, Francis Collins, the man who oversaw the mapping of the human genome.

So let's put aside any silly notions that belief in God is not a philosophically respectable worldview, shall we?

There are intellectual reasons for both belief and skepticism. Anyone who thinks otherwise is showing their own ignorance.

"And finally, when one of the most famous modern atheists, Christopher Hitchens, was dying of cancer, he chose to be treated by an evangelical Christian, Francis Collins, the man who oversaw the mapping of the human genome."

lol nice try. And in reality attributing those deaths to atheism is silly. None of those leaders did those things in the 'name' of atheism.

"So let's put aside any silly notions that belief in God is not a philosophically respectable worldview, shall we?"

I'm afraid not.

starting a thread like this is like opening a wormhole to the holyground. if there is a god, may he please take them all to heaven now so they can be with you and stop creeping out the normal folk. Phone Post 3.0

He's just continuing the weirdo road he has always been on...

At least he's not open and forcefull about it.

It's somthing HE is into for whatever reason and he keeps that shit to himself like religious people should. Doesn't make me think less or worse of him in any way.

I do respect how he knows he isn't perfect and admits he sins and he just tries to "keep it in the lines" so to speak. Better than having a holier than thou attitude and being a scumbag behind closed doors Phone Post 3.0

Thread title should read "Forest Griffin Joins Cult"

Hunter V - good for him, although idiots will try to talk shit here. As long as he does not become a blowhard there is zero wrong here and people need to respect that.

Zero wrong? You sure you want to stand by that statement? FG just joined a group that's core message is that anyone who doesn't share the beliefs of said group deserve to be tortured for an measurable amount of time. Maybe this doesn't seem like a big deal to you because you share the beliefs of this particular cult. But as someone who doesn't, it really scares me that people who believe that are the ones making and enforcing the laws that govern us all.

P.s. Why do you hope he doesn't turn against gays? If he's genuinely a Christian, that's exactly what he's suppose to do.

Some replies here make me lose faith in humanity, holy shit.

As far as most the people in this thread were aware of, including myself, he didn't seem religious at all. If it's something that he believes genuinely betters himself I'm all for it.

Lots of socially awkward teenagers in here who I imagine don't know how to function well in society when confronted with people of different beliefs, with regards to religion or otherwise.

Goes to show you can't take that kind of head trauma without some kind of long term impairment.

Yancuna island - 
mynameisjonas - 
Yancuna island - If he wants to waste his time, go right ahead.
Big fan of Forrest and his fighting careerbut this article makes me feel sorry for him

Why are you sorry for him finding happiness and helping other people? I think alot of critics of Christianity don't realize that smart Christians do exist, and some of us are humble enough to admit that we may be wrong, that maybe there is no God. Even so, whats wrong with following a doctrine of love, forgiveness, compassion, patience, empathy, tolerance, and acceptance?

And most importantly don't confuse flawed, imperfect Christians with Christ himself. We give him a bad name.

You can find happiness and help others without being religious.

I feel sorry for him because he's deluding himself and holding on to a imaginary friend for emotional support the same way a very young child would if they were really lonely with no friends.

Of course you can be a good person without religion, that goes without saying.

I don't understand why you would jump to conclusions on the nature of someone's faith without personal knowledge, however. You have as much knowledge of Forrest's beliefs and how he benefits from them as I do, which is to say hardly any at all.

Consider this: instead of seeing God as his one and only friend, maybe acknowledging that there is a power greater than he or any other man keeps him humble and centered.

Why would you feel sorry for someone so successful and apparently happy? What is wrong with that? Just because you don't believe the same way he does it makes him pitiable and wrong?

Yancuna island - 
mynameisjonas - 
Yancuna island - If he wants to waste his time, go right ahead.
Big fan of Forrest and his fighting careerbut this article makes me feel sorry for him

Why are you sorry for him finding happiness and helping other people? I think alot of critics of Christianity don't realize that smart Christians do exist, and some of us are humble enough to admit that we may be wrong, that maybe there is no God. Even so, whats wrong with following a doctrine of love, forgiveness, compassion, patience, empathy, tolerance, and acceptance?

And most importantly don't confuse flawed, imperfect Christians with Christ himself. We give him a bad name.

You can find happiness and help others without being religious.

I feel sorry for him because he's deluding himself and holding on to a imaginary friend for emotional support the same way a very young child would if they were really lonely with no friends.

Of course you can be a good person without religion, that goes without saying.

I don't understand why you would jump to conclusions on the nature of someone's faith without personal knowledge, however. You have as much knowledge of Forrest's beliefs and how he benefits from them as I do, which is to say hardly any at all.

Consider this: instead of seeing God as his one and only friend, maybe acknowledging that there is a power greater than he or any other man keeps him humble and centered.

Why would you feel sorry for someone so successful and apparently happy? What is wrong with that? Just because you don't believe the same way he does it makes him pitiable and wrong?

That's great he believes in god...
But who really gives two fucks?
This shit really need to be on the news page? Phone Post 3.0

I'm happy for him. Phone Post 3.0

YAWN...

I wonder if any studies have been done on the possible link between head trauma and religiosity. Phone Post

Ignorant people all over the world from all walks of life believe in a God. So another fighter believes in a God?

News?

I feel sorry for him. I guess it's easier than actually thinking, letting faith make decisions for you. Phone Post

Slow news day huh? Phone Post 3.0

Mouth full of marbles, brain full of mush.

Whatever makes him happy I guess :D

lockon - Some replies here make me lose faith in humanity, holy shit.

As far as most the people in this thread were aware of, including myself, he didn't seem religious at all. If it's something that he believes genuinely betters himself I'm all for it.

Lots of socially awkward teenagers in here who I imagine don't know how to function well in society when confronted with people of different beliefs, with regards to religion or otherwise.

Most of these UG/OG atheists were public schooled. And we all know the Public School is as much of [if not more of] a brainwashing/indoctrinating Center than they accuse the Church of being. They don't believe because of their aging hippie teacher with a Che Guevarra shirt[if you have one of these you should be the last one to accuse people of not being able to think critically]told them.