Fortunate Son

It is a well known adage that wars are fought by young men that were started by old men. I think it goes deeper than that because wars are fought by young, POOR boys (and girls)for the most part.

"Fortunate Son" is a potent tune by Creedence Clearwater Revival in which it is asserted that wars are fought by poor boys and the fortunate sons of the rich get to stay home.

Another tune that addresses the issue is Bob Seger's "2 + 2 = ?".

Both tunes I definitely plan on crankin' up on Monday.

Man, every time I read about some American GIs getting their ticket punched in Iraq I see a gaggle of Latino names. When their photos are posted I see skin tunes representing all the various races that make up the States and I betcha most of em share the fact they come from lower class/lower middle class homes. When the war ends they depart eachother's company and shuffle back to the economic caste system that grips our country.

So on this Memorial Day I am going to toast all of the men and women that have fought in our wars and then I am going to slam a couple Heineken Lights just for the poor boys that have fought our wars.

Saturday I am lifting in a weightlifting comp in Bay City, Michigan and I am dedicating my efforts to all dem poor boys that laid down their lives so that all of us can do things like compete in athletic comps and slam brews if we so please.

ttt for Armed Forces personel

I grew up (and recently moved back to) the Ohio Valley, which has always been poor appalacian farmers and factory workers but life was even harder after the end of the coal mines and steel mills.

The majority of guys I grew up with, and their younger brothers are serving in the armed forces.

When I see people around here who seem to be blindly patriotic, I don't get mad at them for not seeing the larger picture, I feel for them because I know they're probably worried half to death because they have a son, brother, nephew in Iraq right now.

Our generation's Vietnam.

yet another great ode Walt.

There have been a number of judokas who have given the ultimate sacrifices in this war on terror--from Jeremey Glick to Mike Sutter and many more. It is something that has reached every community in America.

I would not go so far as to call Iraq anything like Vietnam. Vietnam was never declared a war--though we all know it was. There were 4 sitting Presidents during that time and all of them had very different ideas of how to conduct things in Vietnam.

I am not saying mistakes have no been made, even some huge ones, but the comparison to Vietnam is just something I do not see as really valid.

If you talk to Vietnamese immigrants who have come here, they are overwhelmingly Repulican and believe that what is happening in Iraq is the right thing, they know what it is like to live under communism or some dictatorship like Iraq. I also hear the same thing from many of the Iraqi and Iranian people who are living here now.

There is no good way to look at war--it is always horrible. But judgment of the effect should be made at a later time, all we should do now is wish the very best for those who are in the midst of a living hell.

Support the Troops.

FORTUNATE SON by Creedence

"Some folks are born made to wave the flag/ooh, they're red, white and blue/And when the band plays "Hail To The Chief"/oh, they point the cannon at you, Lord.

It ain't me, it ain't me/I ain't no senator's son/It ain't me, it ain't me/I ain't no fortunate one, no.

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand/Lord, why don't they help themselves? oh/But when the taxman come to the door/Lord, the house look a lkie a rummage sale, yes.

It ain't me, it ain't me/I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no/It ain't me, it ain't me/I ain't no fortunate one, no.

Yeh, some folks inherit star spangled eyes/ooh, they send you down to war, Lord/And when you ask them, how much should we give/oh, they only answer, more, more, more, yoh."

I want to make it clear the point of my thread is to honor those who fought and died in our wars and to point out that most of those have been middle class and lower.
The thread is a tip of the hat to that fact.

Anyway, switching subjects, I just returned from the weigh-in for my weightlifting event and I tilted the scales at 218 at 6:30 p.m. I weighed 225 yesterday at 6 a.m. and I weigh 224 again now at 10 bells.

walt.. you are competing again? wow. amazing recoperative abilities youve got there amigo.

Fortunate Son = gotta be one of my most favorite rock tunes ever!

TTT