Foul shots in basketball

You stand exactly 15 feet from the rim

The rim is exactly 10 feet high

The weight and dimensions of the ball don't change

Why is it so difficult for someone to do the exact same thing over and over? You can have an 11 year old go out and make half of his shots. DOes he just get lucky 50 percent of the time? It requires no strength. You can make 1 shot and miss the next. Make one and miss the next. Why can't you just do the same thing over and over and keep making them?

Even some of the best players in the world can't even make 8 out of 10. It's not like hitting a fastball where you need perfect timing and incredible hand eye coordination, the weather doesn't play a part like when you kick or throw a football and you have nobody in your face trying to block your shot. I don't understand why more people (who actually practice) can't consistently become nearly perfect. I mean all you have to do is the exact same thing over and over

Nerves and distraction.

All the trashy ft shooters claim to hit 8/10 in practice Phone Post 3.0

Trane - Things that make it difficult: big hands, nerves during games, bad form/technique, or not enough practice. Phone Post 3.0

Why would it take tons of practice when you just have to do the exact same thing you did as you did the times you made it?

I'm not saying everyone doesn't need tons of practice, it's more of the concept that is crazy when you think about it. Most humans can't do the exact same thing almost every time despite the fact that 11 year olds can do it half the time.

Kwang - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun -
Trane - Things that make it difficult: big hands, nerves during games, bad form/technique, or not enough practice. Phone Post 3.0

Why would it take tons of practice when you just have to do the exact same thing you did as you did the times you made it?

I'm not saying everyone doesn't need tons of practice, it's more of the concept that is crazy when you think about it. Most humans can't do the exact same thing almost every time despite the fact that 11 year olds can do it half the time.
You go out and hit 50% of your free throws then come back to report how easy it is. Did you ever play? Phone Post 3.0

Yup, I never understood it when it comes to myself either. I could have a stretch where I make 17 out of 20 and follow it with a stretch where I make 10 out of 20 and it feels like i'm doing the exact same thing every time. Obviously i'm not, that part baffles me.

When I get hot I can make 10 in a row and it feels effortless, do I just forget what I was doing right when I start missing?

Trane - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - 

Because you have to get several key things right such as your shooting form which includes knee movement, arm and elbow projection, proper snap of the wrist to put the same spin on the ball, same distance, and same lateral projection, arc you put on the ball and more.

It's a lot easier to get into a rythm when you shoot 100 straight. I used to shoot 500 FTs a day in HS and average 95%, in the games it would be 85% because your body has to resync to adapt to the above points. Basic muscle memory is not enough, If any part of your body is tired at the slightest, that could affect your shot as well.

Even if you have shitty form you can still make a shot, as long as you do the exact same thing every time as the time you made the shot. I agree form matters, i'm speaking more to consistency of being able to repeat anything that works

Trane - 

The same could be said for 3pt shooting, many guys could shoot 60, 70, 80 % in practice but in games 45% is considered very good.  

I used free throws as an example because you don't have to deal with anyone playing defense on you and you can take your time and all that. I can't see a lot of people making 70/80 percent from the 3 while guarded. Anything higher than 50 would be very unusual. If anything I think nerves would play a bigger part with free throws because you have more time to think about it

So take away that 10-15 percent for nerves, and say the max is now 90 percent because we can't fix nerves. That still leaves a very very very tiny percentage of people who can repeat the same mechanics nearly everytime where nerves aren't a factor. Also there is probably a correlation, the better you are the less nervous you would be

Didn't some old dude make like 5 thousand in a row shooting underhanded free throws?

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - 
Trane - 

The same could be said for 3pt shooting, many guys could shoot 60, 70, 80 % in practice but in games 45% is considered very good.  

I used free throws as an example because you don't have to deal with anyone playing defense on you and you can take your time and all that. I can't see a lot of people making 70/80 percent from the 3 while guarded. Anything higher than 50 would be very unusual. If anything I think nerves would play a bigger part with free throws because you have more time to think about it

and yeah I know you are more likely to shoot if you aren't guarded but you are still in a hurry to put it up

Mathematics.

One degree off at release is magnified exponentially the further you travel from the release point. Phone Post 3.0

Larry Bird was so good that all other white people are excused from having to have a high foul shot percentage. Phone Post 3.0

I played basketball through high school. My assessment is that it is a combination of nerves and what I might call adrenaline differential.

I was an extremely accurate free throw shooter when just practicing. I would routinely make 90 or more out of 100 when just practicing by myself. I would have streaks where I would make 15-20 without missing. I started varsity for three years and I don't think I ever made more than 55% for a season in games.

First, you had to work hard to block out the fact that all eyes in the building are on you. Second, you are going from a situation where you are amped up and letting things flow. Then, you are isolated and have to calm down. The smallest hitch throws it all off. I honestly think I would have been better at free throws if I shot a jump shot.

I recently saw something explained why guys of a certain height can't make free throws consistently. It had to do with trajectory. Those same guys can often make longer shots because of their body types. Phone Post 3.0

Chaos theory Phone Post 3.0

FlowWithTheGo - I recently saw something explained why guys of a certain height can't make free throws consistently. It had to do with trajectory. Those same guys can often make longer shots because of their body types. Phone Post 3.0

I wonder what that height would be, though? Larry Bird was 6'9" and made 90%. Dirk is 7' and makes 85% and Yao Ming is 7'6" and made better than 80%!

You could say the same thing about hitting a golf ball the same over and over again and it's damn near fucking impossible. Stupid fucking game! Take up golf they said... Phone Post 3.0

GMan99 -
FlowWithTheGo - I recently saw something explained why guys of a certain height can't make free throws consistently. It had to do with trajectory. Those same guys can often make longer shots because of their body types. Phone Post 3.0

I wonder what that height would be, though? Larry Bird was 6'9" and made 90%. Dirk is 7' and makes 85% and Yao Ming is 7'6" and made better than 80%!
I'm not sure either but it has to factor. I can rain down shots all day on my hoop at my house. I go over to my parents and shoot on my brothers hoop and it's like 2ft lower than mine and I can't hit it. Phone Post 3.0