Frame rust. Any welders here know where the go/no go line is for repairs?

This is on a small 5 x 8 utility trailer. Would never have more than 2000 lbs on it. Diamond plate box on it, so weight is spread well.

So, I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to borrow a welder and splint it, or not bother because while it’s bad, but won’t catastrophically fail in the next year or two

If you can do it yourself then go for it. If you’re paying someone then go get a new trailer. The rust you can see is just a little bit worse than the rust you can’t see yet.

5 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Thx

2 Likes

I may borrow the friend with the welder as well as the tool- cause while I’ve done a bit of welding, it sure isn’t pretty

1 Like

Throw some coca cola on it overnight and she’ll be good as new!

1 Like

Lol. I’ve done it with old tools, but Ill need to find one of those fat lady’s with a Diet Coke swimming pool to soak it in. And it might just dissolve completely

1 Like

Buy a chunk of flat iron the same width and slap that bitch on there. Stitch weld 1” beads every 6”, spread the welding around to avoid warping. Should only take 1/2 hour. It wont be good as new, but will be considerably stronger than it is. If using mig, make sure welding surfaces are very clean and no wind.

8 Likes

Also, don’t stand in a puddle while welding!

Pretty much this. Grab a wire brush, clean up what you can and then reinforce it.

2 Likes

If all else fails… there’s always bondo, duct tape and zip-ties. I have an uncle that can fix just about anything with that.

5 Likes

take a screw driver and hammer the sides of it, if you are poking through i think the whole piece should be replaced.

if not then what Pigor said will work, not pretty but will do the trick

2 Likes

I’ve actually got an old sled trailer with issues I could cut a frame Member off and run the whole length I suppose, I was pinging along the tube with a hammer if looks like the pic is definitely the worst of it

1 Like

Do what pilgor said.

It doesn’t have to be pretty it just has to be strong. Worst case you fuck it all up and buy a new trailer. Best case, you save a shit ton of money. Nut up and go for it.

1 Like

Yeah, I did something similar with a wrought iron fence bottom bar here years ago. While it’s obviously not load bearing, it’s also not failed in nearly a decade either.

If nothing else it should buy you some time while you shop for a new one.

Also, my god this front leaf spring mount! That shit looks like it’s about to fall apart.

I would just get a piece of square tubing the same size and replace the whole piece.

2 Likes

R and R.

Remove and replace is the only correct way of doing it.

Yeah- it’s on the list