Frank Mir on flag football

I used to try to run while kicking a soccer ball..

Ultimate Frisbee for me when it comes to cardio

I also hate running...it's so boring and jarring. Is riding a bike (a real bike) just as effective?

i refuse to do any excersize that isnt fun

I'm no expert in training but I've always thought that running was a bad way to prepare for cardio in a fight. Think about it logically. Running is a steady exertion of energy for a given length of time. MMA is all about adapting to any given situation whether it is by a sudden explosion of striking or a long drawn out exertion of muscles from grappling, your body in no way is tortured the same way in a fight as it is during a long run, unless you are macheeta or kalib starnes. My guess would be that the best way to prepare cardio for a fight is to re-enact what you are going to be doing on fight night, but more of it. For example if you are fighting five 5-minute rounds with 1 minute rests, you should train by fighting for six 6-minute rounds with 45 seconds of rest between.

there is a reason why football players run to train. Mir's fitness will be exposed if he takes Nog a round.

I just bought the new "Straight Cardio" game for my wii

nubs - I'm no expert in training but I've always thought that running was a bad way to prepare for cardio in a fight. Think about it logically. Running is a steady exertion of energy for a given length of time. MMA is all about adapting to any given situation whether it is by a sudden explosion of striking or a long drawn out exertion of muscles from grappling, your body in no way is tortured the same way in a fight as it is during a long run, unless you are macheeta or kalib starnes. My guess would be that the best way to prepare cardio for a fight is to re-enact what you are going to be doing on fight night, but more of it. For example if you are fighting five 5-minute rounds with 1 minute rests, you should train by fighting for six 6-minute rounds with 45 seconds of rest between.

or you could push yourself while running...just a thought

i used to play flag football in 2 different leagues. a night league where we played 2 or 3 games a week and a day league where we played sat & sundays.

point is, i was playing up to 5 games a week and when i started to train jiu-jitsu and MMA it did nothing to increase my cardio. i gassed out just like everyone does.

that's just me though. maybe, the running does something for bigger guys like Mir??

I agree with you, gaze. I was playing basketball and then stopped and started jogging every day. Now when I play, I still can get a little winded towards the end of the first game, but after the 5-10 minutes rest between games, I'm just as fresh as when I got to the court. I'd assume it has to do with the explosive output as opposed to a steady pace, as others have mentioned already.

imeaniguess - I agree with you, gaze. I was playing basketball and then stopped and started jogging every day. Now when I play, I still can get a little winded towards the end of the first game, but after the 5-10 minutes rest between games, I'm just as fresh as when I got to the court. I'd assume it has to do with the explosive output as opposed to a steady pace, as others have mentioned already.

Same here for me with tennis and running.

Being a champ takes mental strength to do the things you hate doing to achieve the desired result.

Nog is going to chew Mir up and spit him out unless he changes his attitude.

To the best of my knowledge, short sprints are far better for MMA than a long run. In wrestling, while long runs were helpful, the sprints (whether they were crawls or running...or anything else at full speed) helped the most with explosive shots and not tiring after multiple

Ecko Unltd -  To the best of my knowledge, short sprints are far better for MMA than a long run. In wrestling, while long runs were helpful, the sprints (whether they were crawls or running...or anything else at full speed) helped the most with explosive shots and not tiring after multiple

I agree...

hill sprints 2x per week, combined with MMA conditioning drills 2x per week, has always given me incredible results!

i also would go for a short 2 mile run once a week, just to work on my breathing patterns.

Might just be me, but jogging is more psychological than anything. If you don't want to run because you can't bring yourself to enjoy it then I feel you're missing the point.

Honestly this is just straight laziness and NOT proffessional or championship oriented. I remeber reading a Muscle and Fitness article w/ him in it years ago. His cardio training consisted of running 3-4 miles 3 times a week and grappling....THAT'S IT. I was shocked. No wonder he always gassed.

He needs true, steady state, intense aneorobic conditioning mixed w/ aerobic conditioning. Intense interval training and something ALOT closer to what a real fight puts you through.

He's an amazing BJJ player, but his work ethic concerning conditioning is FAR from proffessional and it's shown in the past. I can't believe his coaches let him get away w/ that. If he put in the work he'd be amazing IMO.

Watch some training footage of the Chute Box guy's,from a couple of years ago.Shogun and Wanderlei were machines,they did what they would do in the ring but alot more of it and no rest.I don't think Chute box fighters excelled at one thing(with the exception of Anderson)but their cardio was almost always better than their opponents.

backfistmedia - I also hate running...it's so boring and jarring. Is riding a bike (a real bike) just as effective?

Nope. However, it all depends what your present level is. Any type of cardio will help you improve if your baseline level is low enough. Ten push ups a day will make you stronger if you are weak enough to start with. It won't do for Mariusz Pudzianowski, though.

Few things can compare with running, and most alternatives are seen as attractive primarily because they are less of an effort.

But, there is running and there is running. If you want top notch cardio for MMA you should look into what the best cardio machines in MMA do. It is usually a mix of at least some basic steady pace running coupled with plenty of intervals of some sort (HIIT etc).

BJ in the past, and Mir now, say they get their cardio from rolling, surfing and playing around. Something tells me that is one reason they are caught achieveing way under their potential at times.