Frank Shammy on Yakuza

Frank was at top back in the day. The 1st well rounded fighter I seen was Marco Ruas- UFC 7. I hope Baroni KOs Frank,then comes to UFC.

"Frank is a legend and there's no denying it. He was the top guy when the sport was dead and retired before it became big."

The time Frank retired there were several VERY interesting match ups that everyone wanted to see because his claim to be the best at that time was completely unsettled. He had unavenged losses to Bas, there was Vitor belfort who at that time was one of the biggest prospects - Wand, Sak -- The list is actually quite large. When he said " No one left for me to fight" that was the biggest lie in the sport.

There were tonnes of people who would've tested him more than a green Tito or wrestlers who knew nothing at all about submissions.

So no - he can't lay a single claim to be the best even at his time because he didn't fight the best during his time.

"little known fact..

after Tito lost to Frank.. he went to go train with Frank.. "

how is that a little know fact?

Axl Foley - Bas hadn't retired at that time, Wand and Sak were that big of a deal and Vitor was THE thing at that time, whether or not he would've lost is immaterial. Frank had probably 8 fights that should have happened at that time.

Frank retired from the UFC to get out of the UFC contract and fight in JAPAN. He fought in K-1 with Elvis and TAMURA in Shooto. His goal was to get a big contract with PRIDE FIGHTING. Unfortunately, they were offering him peanuts. He then tried acting( Texas Walker? ) and commericals. He then tried to create his own MMA organization. He then made deals with STRIKEFORCE. Frank has had many different projects that unfortunately didn't pan out. Now he's trying to build up his name by fighting Baroni. Most likely he'll keep away from the BJJ guys that can neutralize his go for broke grappling and go for wrestler/striker types from now on.

Frank deserves a lot of hate lately for his mouthing off and trying to reinvent himself in the image of Ken's WWF persona.

But he was still the lone shining star in the dead skyline that was NHB in this country during the dark ages.

As much as I love Bas, he was pretty much a disappointment in the UFC. He had been a DOMINANT King of Pancrase and the UFC literally heralded him as the world's greatest martial artist (that phrase was almost repeated like mantra every time they mentioned Bas' name).

But his performances failed to live up to that billing at HW and he announced that he would move down to 200. But subsequently he never actually fought at 200. Actually he never fought again until against Warpath last year.

Wanderlei had just been destroyed by Vitor on the same event where Frank dominated Lober, and at that point in time The Axe Murderer was not a fraction of the fighter he was to become.

As for Vitor, after debuting impressively at MW against Wanderlei at UFC Brazil, he was then ridiculously owned by Sakuraba in his very next fight.

So the only active top guy out there at MW left for Frank while he was in his prime was Sakuraba. He had conquered all the other top dogs who were synchronous with his ascent and peak.

Kevin Jackson and Igor Zinoviev were considered the 2 top guys in the new MW (200) class in NHB at the time. Frank impressively dispatched them both to unequivocally become the #1 200-er in the world. (And along the way to earning the first UFC MW title shot against Jackson, he had to KO Enson who was the Shooto HW Champ at the time and who in his very next fight easily submitted Randy.)

Then Tito roared onto the scene as the Lion Tamer and became the #2 to Frank's #1. In the most epic built-up showdown of the dark ages, Frank made Tito quit.

So in sum, Bas announced he would fight at 200 but never did, and Vitor and Wanderlei had just been owned. Sakuraba was really all that was left, and even so he had not quite fully peaked yet as a legend (although he had already begun his rapid ascent) until after Frank had "retired."

Frank deserves recognition for his preeminent accomplishments against the best competition at a time when no one was watching. Just as much as he deserves all the criticism for his obnoxious self-promotion at a time when everyone is watching.

I call Bullshit

"Frank Shamrock talks about fight club."

lol

I love how it was a 'green' tito who in his next fight beat Wand and won the title, lol.

Tito back than was better than the bad boxing style Tito that exists now.

LOL at people believing this is one last pay cheque and he will definitley lose to Baroni.

He is training with Dan Henderson....you know the guy that KOd Silva and ended his 6 year title reign. The guy that is the first ever multiple division simultaneous champion.

Frank will be fine.

Even if his skill level is below Baroni - which I don't believe - we've seen Baroni get in trouble constantly with his cardio, no matter how hard he seems to train it.
Shamrock on the other hand....

The 1st well rounded fighter I seen was Marco Ruas- UFC 7.

True. I still have the Black Belt Magazine with him on the cover holding the belt after his victory at UFC VII. Damn...Im going to have to dig that up.

Whistleblower....couldn't have said it better. Many were not around when Frank was THE man, so they think he is all smoke. There was a time when he was fire. Is he still? That's what makes it so interesting, because his lack of real action makes it very hard to say.

overrated always has been, due in the most part to his own hype. the tito fight wasnt even that great a fight, i dont recall frank showing much in it but cardio and landing a solid middle kick and punch or two. he sucked against renzo, a guy hes supposed to be stronger, faster, younger and able to knock out. he shouldnt even be considered in the top 50

"will the lies ever stop with this guy? i think he hasnt said one honest thing in close to ten years now. "

I was thinking the same thing

I sorta chalk him up like Royce. Great in his time b/c he had something that that other fighters didn't at that time....but the game has changed and the question is...did he adapt?

Frank Shamrock talks about fight club.

lol

"but the game has changed and the question is...did he adapt?"

LMAO do you want to know what it adapted to.. Frank's fighting style.. he was considered the first modern MMAer

I am pretty sure... it was everyone else who adapted.

They were heavys, not light heavys

Someone needs to tell him the Yakuza being in the fight game is a good thing and widely accepted in Japan.