Frank Shamrocks Website

I don't know, it seems to me that if you are in the spot light and people look up to you enough to stand in line for an autograph, you should probably pick your words a little more carefully.

My wife works with children everyday mildly and mentally retarded so I guess it is a little easier for me to choose my words. Just thought as a sports figure he would do the same, or at least make it right when he realized he fucked up. IMO

"Someone asked about a certain fighter and Frank responded back with
" ah, that guy is a total retard". While this in itself could be construed
as a derogatory comment, It didn't really bother me too much until I
saw a dad turn around a take his Downs Syndrome son back to the
stands. It was at this time that Frank broke out in laughter causing two
or three more people to do the same."

I don't know Frank personally, but I've heard him interviewed many
times. Love him or hate him, you must admit that he is a very articulate
and intelligent guy. Sure, he talks trash about other fighters (few
fighters laud their opponents' greatness), but I've heard nothing to
indicate he would ever point, make jokes, and laugh at someone who's
developmentally disabled just because he likes being malicious to
retarded children.

Could something be getting lost in the translation of this story or your
interpretation of what happened almost a decade ago? Not saying it is,
just asking if it could be.

As far as a decade ago, I can only say that I felt the exact same way then as I do now. Not really too many facts to get mixed up. In a group of people he referred to a fighter as being such a retard. I honestly don't think he really believes the other fighter was actually retarded and that was not my point.

It was after he discovered that a downs syndrome child was being walked away by his father after the comment, that he decided to laugh. Those are the only two real facts in the story. He called someone a retard and then a special needs child walked away and he laughed.

As far as you never hearing anything in an interview that would indicate that he would make fun of developmentally disabled children.....While a fighter is giving an interview, the subject of developmentally disabled rarely if any ever comes up and while giving an interview, I would hope someone would have enough sense not to make a comment like that know that it would be published.

I like Frank, but he's been resting on his laurels for some time now.

hey, it is really no big deal in the whole scheme of things, just an incident that happened to change my opinion of a person.

I will say however as someone said above. While he may be articulate, in this particular, I would guessed it was more cockiness rather then that of nervousness.

TTT for Frank's Terminator Eye !!!!

mglaw I totally understand what you are saying being an English man the word "retard" is not used as often as it is in America to my knowledge for example the Black eyed peas song "Lets get retarded" was changed to "lets get it started" over here so as not to offend.

I saw an sports commentator use the word once on USA tv and was shocked and brought the subject up on the OG but they said it was normal. If it was said here it would probably be in the newspapers and national news.

Frank may not have said it if he had known that the downs syndrome kid was around i'm sure.

what an atrocious site. that so-called designer should throw himself on a sword immediately to redeem what's left of his family's honor.

More than Rickson

Lol

"As far as you never hearing anything in an interview that would
indicate that he would make fun of developmentally disabled
children.....While a fighter is giving an interview, the subject of
developmentally disabled rarely if any ever comes up and while giving
an interview..."

Hey, friend, I'm just asking. And when I said that I had never heard of
anything that would indicate the behavior you described, I was
referring to never having heard anything from him that would indicate
an outright malicious nature.

Sure, he's had fall-outs with his family and such, but I've never heard
him wishing cancer or anything on anyone. And that's probably the
type of thing a guy who laughs at the retarded would do.

It just seems strange that a guy who bounced around from orphanages
to jail to foster homes and pulled himself out of that world would think
it's a wonderful thing to make fun of retarded kids. Just sayin'.