Free Throws

Jose Calderon is shooting 98.3% from the free throw line this year. The single season record is 95.8% by Calvin Murphy in 80-81.

Steve Nash is right on the heels of Mark Price for #1 career FT%

Only 38 guys in the history of the NBA have shot over 85% from the line for their career.

The world record for most consecutive free trows made is 2,750 by Tom Amberry at the age of 71. It took twelve hours and he quit without missing.

Ben Wallace's career FT% is 41.8%

How many free throws do you think you could make out of 100 right now?

practicing? All in a row?

Maybe 75. After going 10 out of 20, i would have a rhythm and go 65 out of 80.

In a game? 50%. I used to think I was a good FT shooter until i played in the local parks and rec league. I would consistently miss the first and make the second.

I used to practice ft's all the time, but it's not the same. You really need to be a good natural shooter to be good at ft's. Adjusting from jumpers and layups and fadeaways and hooks to a set 15 footer is tougher than it sounds.

I did about 40 in a row once.  out of a hundred I can probably get at least 70 or more.   Free throws was one of the things I was pretty good at.  Long range jumper....not so much.

dangerboy12 - I used to practice ft's all the time, but it's not the same. You really need to be a good natural shooter to be good at ft's.

WRONG!

Anybody can become a good free throw shooter.

Of course some guys will naturally be better, but anybody could become an 80% free throw shooter if they put in the work.

thats true.

even with several of your boys makin wise crack remarks and distracting you can affect your freethrow. if ya let it.

:)

The Destroyer88 - Some guys crumble under the pressure though. I'm not saying I could go 80% in the NBA. There is just a huge difference between practicing in your driveway or playing a game at the park, rather than playing a real game in front of thousands of people.

nick anderson. he shot 40% one year and was afraid to go to line.

Psychology does play a big part in success at the line. Especially in a game.

Jacob Lamb - 
dangerboy12 - I used to practice ft's all the time, but it's not the same. You really need to be a good natural shooter to be good at ft's.

WRONG!

Anybody can become a good free throw shooter.

Of course some guys will naturally be better, but anybody could become an 80% free throw shooter if they put in the work.

How many great FT shooters in the NBA were bad shooters? How many good FT shooters were bad shooters?

You can be good at shooting but bad at FT's, but you cant be good at's and bad at shooting. And I am talking in games, not in practice.

"nick anderson. he shot 40% one year and was afraid to go to line."

Wasn't he shooting like 80% for his career, then missed the 4 back-to-back in Game 1 and was never the same player.

He literally became scared to shoot the ball or something.

dangerboy12 - How many great FT shooters in the NBA were bad shooters? How many good FT shooters were bad shooters?

You can be good at shooting but bad at FT's, but you cant be good at's and bad at shooting. And I am talking in games, not in practice.

The reason some good shooters can't shoot free throws is, again, psychological.

but why can't any bad shooters shoot FT's? I mean being a good shooter has nothing to do with FT's right?

dangerboy12 - but why can't any bad shooters shoot FT's? I mean being a good shooter has nothing to do with FT's right?

Mechanics and psychology.

Bad shooters usually have bad mechanics from the field, so they also have bad mechanics from the line.

They also lack confidence at the line since they know they can't shoot.

I think it would be nearly impossible to improve at the line, but not from the field.

I just think shooting is natural. I've coached kids for a few years, and you can always pick out the kids who can shoot pretty quick. It's not because they have practiced a lot or anything, they just have it.

Yes you can improve your shooting, and become a good shooter if you don't have the natural gift, but you can never be a great shooter imo

dangerboy12 - Yes you can improve your shooting, and become a good shooter if you don't have the natural gift, but you can never be a great shooter imo

Obviously you can take two kids and have them practice the same way for the same amount of time and one will be better than the other.

The best in the world at anything are the guys with the most talent that put in the most work.

But there are a lot of guys that have made it to the top that had less talent, but put in more work than everybody else.

That goes for everything. Free throws included.