Freebird Isolated Drums and Bass

From the first album. Ed King played the bass here, filling in for Leon Wilkeson who'd left the band. Just think, they brought Leon Wilkeson back after this album was finished and moved Ed to third guitar because everyone, including Ed, thought Leon was the better bass player.

https://youtu.be/0Cpe1msyudg

https://youtu.be/9k5aDgYVlzo

1 Like

Pretty darn impressive 

Yeah, that song is played just like a guitar would play bass. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great, it’s it works, all that, but I can’t definitely hear the “guitarist” approach to bass on that tune.

Also, Skynyrd does not get enough credit. They were a fucking great band. Killer song writing, great guitar playing, killer tones, and all around shit. They are so much more than the 2-3 songs they are “known” for. They’re having a huge effect on modern country and rock these days too. Legendary band. 

A_Butler -

Yeah, that song is played just like a guitar would play bass. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great, it’s it works, all that, but I can’t definitely hear the “guitarist” approach to bass on that tune.

Also, Skynyrd does not get enough credit. They were a fucking great band. Killer song writing, great guitar playing, killer tones, and all around shit. They are so much more than the 2-3 songs they are “known” for. They’re having a huge effect on modern country and rock these days too. Legendary band. 

Totally agree. Freebies and sweet home are great, but I cringe when I hear them and change the station. So much more could be played. 

Pretty sure the band got there name from an old gym teacher they had. They made some great songs. 

It’s often like a vocal harmony. I really enjoyed hearing the bass playing over the guitar parts in my head haha. The bass track was really fucking cool

southcraw -

It’s often like a vocal harmony. I really enjoyed hearing the bass playing over the guitar parts in my head haha. The bass track was really fucking cool

To me, it almost sounded more like a jazz bass player than a rock basist.

Cool

The Earl of Elm Mott -
A_Butler -

Totally agree. Freebies and sweet home are great, but I cringe when I hear them and change the station. So much more could be played. 

What kind of communist changes the station when the national anthem is playing? Does your conscience bother you? Tell the truth. 

the Ballad of Curtis Loew (not Lowe) should be in everyone’s top 10-20 songs all time or you just don’t like rock and roll. Down South Jukin’ is in my Top 5 Skynyrd songs. 

From the newer Skynyrd iteration, ‘Still Unbroken’ is a great guitar rock banger. 

Very cool

I love the sound of 70s rock drums. Really wet and deep. (Yes like pussy). 

BostonCharm -

I love the sound of 70s rock drums. Really wet and deep. (Yes like pussy). 

John Bonham says thanks.

AVClub -
The Earl of Elm Mott -
A_Butler -

What kind of communist changes the station when the national anthem is playing? Does your conscience bother you? Tell the truth. 

the Ballad of Curtis Loew (not Lowe) should be in everyone’s top 10-20 songs all time or you just don’t like rock and roll. Down South Jukin’ is in my Top 5 Skynyrd songs. 

From the newer Skynyrd iteration, ‘Still Unbroken’ is a great guitar rock banger. 

Does my conscience bother me when i turn the station when 2 songs come on…no. 

i have a love for the skynyrd catalog beyond those 2 songs.

The Earl of Elm Mott -
AVClub -
The Earl of Elm Mott -
A_Butler -

Does my conscience bother me when i turn the station when 2 songs come on…no. 

i have a love for the skynyrd catalog beyond those 2 songs.

Just bustin’ chops, Homie. You do know that’s a line from SHA, right? 

Three different Skynyrd cocnerts. The first is from the 1975 "Torture Tour," when even by Skynyrd standard's the band's drinking, drugging and brawling were out of control. Billy Powell didn't play this night because he injured his hand punching something or someone. Ed King would get so fed up he walked out of the band four weeks after this.

https://youtu.be/Zbszl2dAxwg

Eleven months later, with only two guitarists.

https://youtu.be/Bx5gdTtBq90

And from 1977, just about three months before the plane crash. Ronnie looks like he's just come off a bender but is in good voice.

https://youtu.be/FbMVdXLDRWQ