Freedom to roam.

I was walking about a farm the other day with my dog and it struck me that I am very lucky live in a country that protects my freedom to roam. This is a cherished freedom across many European countries that Americans do not have. Considering Americans pride themselves on being free, how was this allowed to happen? It strikes me as crazy that some foreigner with money could come over to your country, purchase your land, and then deny you access to your own country.

We have had a few foreign billionaires buying highland estates and demanding people get of their land, wanting to wall them in etc. Very amusing when they are told to get fucked and there is not a thing they can do about it.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

1 Like

I was hoping this was going to be some kind of sovereign citizen thread from the title. 

1 Like

MojoSoDope - 

I was hoping this was going to be some kind of sovereign citizen thread from the title. 

lol, I am not driving I am travelling. 

1 Like

On private land? No. Fuck off. You'll be told only once to leave. My land is mine. You are not free to trespass. 

Public land? Absolutely. I roam on public land for recreation all the time.

3 Likes

Altofsky - 

On private land? No. Fuck off. You'll be told only once to leave. My land is mine. You are not free to trespass. 

I can get down with that!

1 Like

What exactly is the appeal of roaming around someones private property. 

Altofsky - 

Oh I agree with that. The problem is when so many lakes and beautiful places are all privately owned. There's nothing for travelers, hikers, families, people, except to go in a far away public space that might be hours away. It's a question of balance, as usual.

Not the first time OP trolled with this. What a dumb bitch. 

1 Like

???

"The majority of public lands in the United States are held in trust for the American people by the federal government and include about 640 million acres of land, about 28% of the total land area of 2.27 billion acres."

There are also tons of local parks.  And by parks, I don't mean a shitty slide and monkey bars.  We're talking whole forests.

3 Likes

Sprawl'n'Stall -
Altofsky - 

Oh I agree with that. The problem is when so many lakes and beautiful places are all privately owned. There's nothing for travelers, hikers, families, people, except to go in a far away public space that might be hours away. It's a question of balance, as usual.

So if I dig a lake on my property, I should have to let the public have access to it, and that is some peoples idea of freedom?

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane - 
I was walking about a farm the other day with my dog and it struck me that I am very lucky live in a country that protects my freedom to roam. This is a cherished freedom across many European countries that Americans do not have. Considering Americans pride themselves on being free, how was this allowed to happen? It strikes me as crazy that some foreigner with money could come over to your country, purchase your land, and then deny you access to your own country.

We have had a few foreign billionaires buying highland estates and demanding people get of their land, wanting to wall them in etc. Very amusing when they are told to get fucked and there is not a thing they can do about it.  

I agree with your premise, but not with your conclusion that any damn where in Europe has even a fraction of the land and freedom that I do available. Not even fucking remotely close.

That is why I support many groups who are doing all they can to protect our public land.

My state is 70% public land, I want it to stay that way. It is also bigger than many countries in Europe.

I have hundreds of thousands of square miles to roam here in my part of the Rockies. All public land.

How about you? Do you have hundreds of thousands of square miles with no people? I do not think so. Not close.

I can also shoot in my yard, and take a gun anywhere I care to at any time. That is a cherished freedom I enjoy.

How are you oh so free Europeans doing with that? Why have you given up your rights?

Also no damn body, foreigner or not, can come here and buy this land. It is not for sale for any amount of money.

Your information is wrong as fuck. Some parts of our country are like you say, but many are not, and none of the places you mention are near me.

I can hike for hours, to days, to weeks, in about any direction (except one-and I could go around it) and see no one.

Is your holier than thou ass any where near to this free?? Fuck no you are not.

You roam in small circles comparatively speaking.

2 Likes

Sprawl'n'Stall -
Altofsky - 

I bet you're a big Woody Guthrie fan, huh?  ;-)

Altofsky - 

So you are fine with allowing rich foreigners to come over to your country, purchase your land, and then deny you access to your own country? 

Slap Johnson - 

I like hiking, I like walking my dog in the wild, I like wild camping. 

Sprawl'n'Stall - 
Altofsky - 

Correct. We have code we have to follow by law, basically dont leave a mess, damage shit, cause hassle etc. 

Sandy Pantz - 

???

"The majority of public lands in the United States are held in trust for the American people by the federal government and include about 640 million acres of land, about 28% of the total land area of 2.27 billion acres."

There are also tons of local parks.  And by parks, I don't mean a shitty slide and monkey bars.  We're talking whole forests.

So nearly 3/4 of your nation is out of bounds?

Europe's obsession with America is getting a little awkward.

3 Likes

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
Slap Johnson - 

I like hiking, I like walking my dog in the wild, I like wild camping. 

^

And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house
"Hey! What gives you the right?"
"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"
"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner"

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
Sandy Pantz - 

???

So nearly 3/4 of your nation is out of bounds?

Can you go camp out in someone's backyard in Glasgow?

Dryfly - 
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane - 

I agree with your premise, but not with your conclusion that any damn where in Europe has even a fraction of the land and freedom that I do available. Not even fucking remotely close.

That is why I support many groups who are doing all they can to protect our public land.

My state is 70% public land, I want it to stay that way. It is also bigger than many countries in Europe.

I have hundreds of thousands of square miles to roam here in my part of the Rockies. All public land.

How about you? Do you have hundreds of thousands of square miles with no people? I do not think so. Not close.

I can also shoot in my yard, and take a gun anywhere I care to at any time. That is a cherished freedom I enjoy.

How are you oh so free Europeans doing with that? Why have you given up your rights?

Also no damn body, foreigner or not, can come here and buy this land. It is not for sale for any amount of money.

Your information is wrong as fuck. Some parts of our country are like you say, but many are not, and none of the places you mention are near me.

I can hike for hours, to days, to weeks, in about any direction (except one-and I could go around it) and see no one.

Is your holier than thou ass any where near to this free?? Fuck no you are not.

You roam in small circles comparatively speaking.

I can go pretty much anywhere I like, its not to do with size its to do with rights, freedom. Is Russia more free than the USA because its bigger? 

However, its seems you have enough access to land to keep you happy in your state, fair enough. I am not talking about states but the USA and your rights.