Freeing RAM?

I've read that each time a program is run a little bit of ram is not released back to be used, and eventually this can slow a computer's speed.

Is there a way through windows to free up RAM? Is there a good freeware program available to do this automatically?

Thanks

I had a VB script that I used to hit every once and a while when I ran Windows 98. I don't believe it is an issue with XP. It was just a few lines in a text file saved with an extension that made it executable. No clue what the lines were though

Karl,

Most program shouldn't exhibit the behaviour you are describing. They should release all memory that they have used. The process you have noticed is called a memory leak. You should try going back to the manufacturer of the app to see if they know about it.

HTH,

Kevin

Well something I have noticed is by the end of the day of using Windows 98 with various programs the machine is chugging along and the Resources Free percent is significantly lower than on startup with no more processes running than on start up. After running the script it would go back to about normal. I read articles about this a few years and will post if I can find them.

98????????

truewrestler - Mystring = Space(80000000)

Where (80000000) is the amount of RAM you want windows to free.

Karl - Open "Notepad" and paste this into it. Save the file and then rename it to xxxxxx.VBS and put it on your desktop for easy access.

Exactly what I was racking my brain for... and I think in the articles I read the recommended amount to free was generally half system RAM.

Thanks OrigJoker!

d/l a program called "memturbo". This is a great program that frees up ram for you and tells you how much ram is being used up.

haha, that's brilliant!

The OS determines how much RAM is being used and there is a HUGE difference between how it is managed in Windows 9x/ME compared to NT-based systems. You should pretty much be able to leave an XP system running for weeks on end without a problem. That being said, there's no doubt applications can leak memory because of bad programming, but you can usually reclaim it by killing the processes (which will ultimately kill any threads associated with it). Virtual memory management by the OS makes it difficult to tell exactly what is in RAM vs swap (paging) file. For a while I was running no paging file on a 1 GB system and didn't notice memory leaks over a long period of time.

I'd be interested to know if anyone had any other experiences contrary to this.

"For a while I was running no paging file on a 1 GB system and didn't notice memory leaks over a long period of time."

with 1 gig you won't notice it because you have so much ram to begin with, but if you only have 256 or 512 you'll notice it right away. Memturbo allows you to set up your swap file and runs in the background letting you know how much ram is free at any given point in time (I really like memturbo because when I run a lot of programs or use programs such as photoshop that use a lot of ram I can press ctrl/alt/M and automatically free up ram.)

I've noticed with 98se i have around 400mb of ram left from 512. I upgraded to xp and noticed that once it boots up there is around 300mb's or ram left(so if you only had 256mb of ram you'd be down to around 56 by the time xp booted). Xp is a little bloated compared to 98se because of all the services and extras like built in cd/dvd editing/burning software etc.

1 gig of ram is optimum and with this much ram you really don't have to do much tweaking because xp has less memory leaks etc.

My guess is that Win9x can't really optimize RAM very well past 128MB. NT-based architecture, you will always notice a difference with more RAM.