French,Russ,Japan Judo-Difference?

What are some of the differences between French, Russian, Japanese, etc. Judo? What countries have a distinct style and how is it different from the rest? Are there variations in the U.S. based on location and if so what are they? Thanks!

How about the Cuban style? What characterizes the way the Cubans approach judo?

Well considering my coach is Cuban I would say that the Cuban style (if there is such a thing) is..

Whatever works!!!!
Look at whose winning, try to emulate them, if not posible, find your own way of winning.

But then aggain I think this is what everybody probably does. Just like in any MA (hell any tipe of art for that matter) styles dont make the difference, thats up to the individuals talent and dedication.

Daniel

FatBuddha, if you meet or have already met Jhon Rojas at ABC's, his judo has a Cuban influence.

I thought the Euros are fonder of gake vs. gari ... now most Judokas end up using gake in randori and shiai ... osoto, ouchi, kosoto, etc.

i'd agree with clown for most of what he said..
but, the thing about japanese players not liking to drop is wrong.. they drop all the time; drop seionages, dropping kata gurumas (nomura vs. greckowski in 2000) recently, etc.. etc.. its very true that for the msot part they play very stand-up judo, but that doesnt mean they do not drop under people.. it just means that their posture is very verticle in general.

the french have actually been influenced by the russians alot, thus youll see a lot of over the back gripping and pick-ups from their players just like you would from the former soviet nations. naturally, there are also some very, very successful players from all these countries who have very "japanese" judo as well (like Makarov).

the style difference came about becuase the russians figured that they were not going to beat the Japanese at their own game so they decided to bring what they were already skilled at-- wrestling style throws and pick-ups-- into judo.

for decades it was Urange that destroyed their competition, then the khaberelli came, then kata-guruma and no te-guruma. not to mention the gripping styles that come along with these throws.

Cool post Josh.

Let's use slurs for all the races, not just the Japanese.

"Nippers" is a slur?

thats not cool.
please lets get back on topic.

"Hey clown, don't you have a glory hole to attend to?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

Ben R. w/ thanks to Osaekomi

lmao.

The French tend to play the rules very stongly, trying to make their opponent look or be passive. That's not so unusual at a high level of comp, but the French are especially adept at it.

Ben R.

Whats a Khaberelli? Is the No-te Guruma similar to an ankle pick?

As you can see, it's a type of pick-up. (assuming the link works)What is a No-te guruma? Te guruma means hand wheel though, doesn't it? As a result, I have to answer with no for now, but I can't be sure as I am not sure what the "no" variation is.

that version of the khaberelli can earn you a HSK now. if you notice tori's right foot is entwined in a kawazu-gake and he is throwing over the trapped leg. just dont wrap the leg like that, instead just use your right leg in a sweeping action up the middle and youll be fine.

No-te guruma doesnt exist. the throw is te-guruma. its a lot more like a bobdy slam, usually a counter, but also used as an offensive throw. several variations are now popular in competition.

normal ankle picks in judo generally tend to be very low scoring if at all. generally people will do a hybrid throw combining elements of a fireman's carry with an added ankle/leg pick.

If someone would like to see the Khabarelli executed go to www.sambolessons.borec.ru

Download the free lesson Gadavlia

The throw is actually named Gadavlia. It comes from a Georgian Folk wrestling style. It got its Khabarelli name from a Georgian born Soviet judoka named Shota Khabarelli who executed it brilliantly in the 1980's. At that time nobody in the judo world had actually seen it and the Japanese at that time did not have a name for it.

Dyn,
you are right.. but boy oh boy did lil ole Shota do it well.. =) well, along with everything else that is.. he sure didnt win olympic gold on that throw alone.

That's a nice link Dynamo.

Each lesson is $3.33