Fretless Guitar Shredding

I don't know if it's music, but the guy is an amazing machine. And fretless. I just wanted something noisy after all the classical guitar videos I posted....

But then, maybe I need something else altogether. Like somebody playing pretty piano music or something!

BTW, anybody have any comments on right hand picking technique? This guy obviously does very well; NO wrist at all... entirely moving from the elbow. Is that weird? I don't get picking (plectrum) technique.

Wow, I haven't heard sounds like that since I spilled Kool Aid on my Speak-n-Spell when I was 7.

I don't get picking (plectrum) technique.

maybe he was self taught and just played that way anywho its a pretty cool vid Racer, can you take the frets off of my guitar? j/k

I helped a friend convert his Ovation solidbody to fretless.

Somehow when he played, it didn't sound like this. It sounded like music. What the hell is that guy doing? If he was doing that in a store I was in I would ask him to stop.

The real stinker is trying to chord on a fretless guitar.

"If he was doing that in a store I was in I would ask him to stop"

I thought that was you RX, whoops!

"BTW, anybody have any comments on right hand picking technique"

Thats actually a relly easy technique to learn and a tough one to
master. The official name is the Chronibater Control, its also know as
jerkin the gherkin.

LOL

Sometimes he does make music... but there's not a lot of evidence of that on youtube. That guy is Scott McGill; has various projects, most notably McGill-Manring-Stevens, with equally sick bassist Michael Manring. He's not self-taught, either (or at least not entirely) -- university of texas jazz program guy, if IIRC. He has lessons on his site where he said all movement is from the elbow.... I didn't believe him. Thought he was badly describing something else. But now I see... he's for real about that.

and yeah, this is pretty damned noisy. Not in itself a bad thing, but.... I didn't post it as an example of music.

And I have NO IDEA if DasBeaver is serious about this technique being simple to learn and tough to master, or being called something (or something else, in different circles)!!

Interesting, Ali. If he's played with Manring he clearly knows more than we are seeing there. IMO, that was painful to listen to.

I have seen a couple other players who use mainly elbow movement. Looks tiring.

I have no idea why that's on youtube -- he seems to be just doing exercises; I think he's having a laugh, in part, and practicing "exotic scales" or something. The lessons on his site emphasize odd scales, anyway. Even when doing "real music" he does tend toward the noisy for some tastes, but sometimes plays real purty. Acoustic too. And yeah... he plays with Manring. In fact he recruited Maring by just sending some scores and asked for Manring to play in his band, and Manring thought it was some of the most interesting music he'd seen. So... he does know a thing or two. No MMS on youtube, though.

But I posted a Manring vid here, guy playing three basses at once, that got a sort of similar reaction to this. Wanking partners, no doubt!

McGill used to be in a prog-band called Finneus Gauge, and was a sort of Holdsworth-sound-alike in the fusion band, Hand Farm.

The noise, though, also sounds like much of what Buckethead has done (esp. on Cobra Strike, or his video-game sound-effect stuff). Maybe that's painful to listen to, also!

And that elbow-thing looks impossible, to me. But that's why I picked this clip -- just to ask!

"The noise, though, also sounds like much of what Buckethead has done (esp. on Cobra Strike, or his video-game sound-effect stuff). Maybe that's painful to listen to, also!"

Oddly, there is a big difference to me. This seems like exercises as you say, no musical direction. I can hear where Buckethead is going most of the time. Other than being fast picking,not very bucket-like to me.

Have you heard Cobra Strike? And of course some of Buckethead's stuff -- what I'm referring to -- wasn't meant as music, either. He did a lot of video-game sound-effects..... this is what (in large measure) McGill sounds like, here.

"And I have NO IDEA if DasBeaver is serious about this technique being
simple to learn and tough to master, or being called something (or
something else, in different circles)!!"

Cuz he looks like he's jerking off, get it? Get it!?!?

Ahhh, you don't care.

I do care, LOL. I did get it, but didn't know if this was a common diss among guitar players. He's the only of these super-chops guys I've seen who used that sort of right hand... and like I said, he's explicit about teaching it that way.

I'm hopeless with a pick; don't know why it's so mysterious, but having played classical (which is more elaborate, I know!) it just seems weird that there's not an apparent "right way" to use a damned pick.

HAve to disagree on your sentiments toward Manring.

You may not like the music he makes, but Manring isn't showing off or "wanking", he is making music.

You want to see that on bass, look up some of Bill Dickens shit on youtube. Slap at the speed of light, sounding shit at the speed of sound.

Manring makes music, yes. McGill does, too. Just not always :-)

I'm a Manring fan -- so I don't know what you think my sentiments are -- but when I posted a video of him playing three basses at once, as I said, I got similar reactions to that as what you see here to McGill. This is noisier, and more clearly just an exercise. And that was more clearly a lot of showmanship.

(There's a little piece/interview on McGill in the current Guitar Player magazine. All he has to do is mention Schoenberg and you know most folks aren't going to dig him!)

I mentioned Manring to Bryan Beller (who is among my favorite bassists) and Beller said "Man, I don't have time to be that good!"

God that sucked. Give me a bluesman anyday. BB could beat that guy with one note in a headcutting duel.

yeah, that's the same audience.

besides which, I think it's pretty clear that what's in the above video is an exercise. You might hate his music, too, but it's goofy to think of this video as at all indicative of what he'd do in a "headcutting duel".