Friend rescue's Pitbull mix

So a friend of mine has been wanting a dog for a long time now. He ends up wanting to go to the shelter to do the whole rescue thing. He brings me along to get my thoughts on the dogs. As you can guess they mostly are Pitbulls or  Pitbull Mixes. He ends up liking this dog who is a Pitbull mix who is a year and 3months. He then takes it out for a walk. The Dog listens to no commands and does not show and intrests in doing what he wants the dog to do. Most of the time the dog does what it wants and that is trying to chase after ever dog he sees. I try a few basic things with him to see if he responds to humans at all and he give us no responces. Does not even wag his tail to being rubbed. My friend falls in love with the dog.

I tell him to try out this other dog that seems a little more responsive and happy. It also is a Pitbull mix but hey, what can you do, 90% of them are Pitbulls. This dog is great. Its a year and a half and responds to commands and even sits and wait when you tell it. I tell him this is the dog to get.

He does not listen and gets the first dog.

His GF is prego with their first baby.

Did he fuck up?

1 Like

3 months is still pretty young. You have to teach the dog, they don't just come out responding to the English language lol. Give it a name, and then teach it its name. Won't go into details on training tactics. After it knows it's name and you teach it to focus on you, then you can teach it commands like sit, stay, etc. Puppys are alot of work and it's always the people that don't understand how important it is to train your dog that always end up having a dog with shitty manners.

FWIW I wouldn't have gone with a pitbull with a newborn on the way, but my statement stands regardless of the breed.

OP, first off, your screenname is misleading. 

Second, 3 month old puppies are basically severly autistic children that are high on opiates and amphetamines. 

KickAssMcRad - AKA Idon't Portal -

Second, 3 month old puppies are basically severly autistic children that are high on opiates and amphetamines. 

Its a year and 3 months

He said it's a year and 3 months not 3 months.

dog can be trained.

1) exercise and lots of it.  

2) consistency

3) 'friend' has to establish who's boss.  Only feed dog after 'friend' and wife eat.  Dog walks beside friend not in front or pulling.

4) could prob use some training classes.

5) very important - before bringing baby home bring a bunch of stuff from the hospital with baby smell on it so dog can get used to the smell before ever seeing baby

6) never leave dog alone with baby. Ever.   

Also, does this shelter not work with the dogs or is it one of those doggy jail shelters?

Dogs need training.....

Next thread by OP:

Friends dog ate his babys hands, AMA

ClutchTheBear - 3 months is still pretty young. You have to teach the dog, they don't just come out responding to the English language lol. Give it a name, and then teach it its name. Won't go into details on training tactics. After it knows it's name and you teach it to focus on you, then you can teach it commands like sit, stay, etc. Puppys are alot of work and it's always the people that don't understand how important it is to train your dog that always end up having a dog with shitty manners.

FWIW I wouldn't have gone with a pitbull with a newborn on the way, but my statement stands regardless of the breed.

a Year and 3 months.

Does it help that I got the nickname brute from ass fucking a girl with no lube at a party in a dirty bathroom?

Conor McGazelle - Also, does this shelter not work with the dogs or is it one of those doggy jail shelters?

Doggy Jail shelters if the vibe I got. Everyone there were dicks.

I would have said no thanks after the dog showed aggression towards other dogs.

Can the dog be trained? Sure......

Having said that, your friend is going to have a newborn soon. That will most likely take most of his time and attention. Take 'pit' out of the equation. It just seems like a lot of undue stress for him at this time.

Having said that, maybe he will train the dog and they will be best friends forever. Or maybe the dog will get loose and kill a neighbor's dog before realized he fucked up...

Misread, my b.

moccaco - I would have said no thanks after the dog showed aggression towards other dogs.

Having said that, your friend is going to have a newborn soon. That will most likely take most of his time and attention. Take 'pit' out of the equation. It just seems like a lot of undue stress for him at this time.

Having said that, maybe he will train the dog and they will be best friends forever. Or maybe the dog will get loose and kill a neighbor's dog before realized he fucked up...

This is how I feel on it. Both him and His GF work. So this dog will have alot of down time by himself and who knows what can happen when they are away.

Im fine with Pits. But rescue pits and a new born is asking for trouble. Most of all when this dog shown zero signs that he is happy around people and is willing to listen.

Also no matter what he does, at some point in time it will be his GF and baby at home alone with the dog while he is away at work. This cant be avoided.

BruteDion -
KickAssMcRad - AKA Idon"t Portal -

Does it help that I got the nickname brute from ass fucking a girl with no lube at a party in a dirty bathroom?

I would like to withdraw my previous statements from the record and offer an apology. 

Your screenname is, indeed, fitting. 

Edit: But only if you rawdog'd her. 

Has AI started an online gang yet?

If so, I'm in. Pitbulls are not worth the trouble.

BruteDion -
moccaco - I would have said no thanks after the dog showed aggression towards other dogs.

Having said that, your friend is going to have a newborn soon. That will most likely take most of his time and attention. Take "pit" out of the equation. It just seems like a lot of undue stress for him at this time.

Having said that, maybe he will train the dog and they will be best friends forever. Or maybe the dog will get loose and kill a neighbor"s dog before realized he fucked up...

This is how I feel on it. Both him and His GF work. So this dog will have alot of down time by himself and who knows what can happen when they are away.

Im fine with Pits. But rescue pits and a new born is asking for trouble. Most of all when this dog shown zero signs that he is happy around people and is willing to listen.

Home alone and already aggrsssive is a terrible combo.  I had a pit - heeled mix from a shelter that started as a bad mix of fearful and aggressive.  I credit extreme exercise (like 2 hours a day of walks) as the most important part of the training regimen.  Dog went from psycho to now one of the gentlest dogs I've seen but it took a lot of work.

BruteDion -
KickAssMcRad - AKA Idon"t Portal -

I would like to withdraw my previous statements from the record and offer an apology. 

Your screenname is, indeed, fitting. 

Edit: But only if you rawdog'd her. 

assfuck a girl with a condom on? What is this the UG?

BruteDion -
Conor McGazelle - Also, does this shelter not work with the dogs or is it one of those doggy jail shelters?

Doggy Jail shelters if the vibe I got. Everyone there were dicks.

Shame. Too late now, but he should follow places like Second Chance Rescue on facebook