Friend wont wear cup in training

He is obviously very tough and smart. Phone Post 3.0

Fallon Fox training partner IMO Phone Post 3.0

is it mma or bjj? Cuz in gi bjj you can't wear a cup anyway. My school you're not allowed to wear a cup, since you can't wear one in comp. anyway. So which one is it?

downunderground - A guy came to our gym one day for sparring and I had never seen him before. He said to me as we touched gloves "no face shots if that's alright" I said "sure no problem". As I jabbed to his body he proceeded to throw a straight right hand at I would say about 90% directly to my chin. I guess he meant no face shots on him but hitting me in the face was fine Phone Post 3.0

Ha!

uberpinscher -
RASHADsBBCGAVeMeaVAGiNALtear - 
Mustard Tiger - Give him the better safe than sorry speech again and warn him a couple times if you're striking. Otherwise, it's not your responsibility to protect this man's testicles. Let him learn the hard way; eventually he will catch one in the bean bag.

As others have said; really not a huge deal if it's bjj. Unless he tries to sink in his third hook or tries to catch you in the legendary "W Guard."
ChockEmOut - Next time you train with him, stand up in his guard and pass through with your knee in the middle. He will learn the hard way.
RASHADsBBCGAVeMeaVAGiNALtear - Let him attempt an armbar. Elbows to the nuts is a sure fire way to get people to wear cups.
You two sound like really shitty training partners.
Have you ever arm barred someone without a cup? It's terrible and makes one want to wear a cup. Phone Post 3.0

Wow dude... do you know how to arm bar? You don't line their elbow/tricep up with your ball sack bro. I don't know if this is a troll or you really just don't know this. Do you also line up your package with the bridge of their nose in north south as well? When doing a back roll, do you go directly over your spine?

I think cups during grappling is up to the individual but relatively speaking its kind of a weak move. Compression shorts are your friend. And as for your whack ass armbar technique - you will never learn how to do it properly if you keep doing it that way.

Angle it to the SIDE bro the SIDE. like along your hip line.
So when you armbar someone they just let you? Or maybe they stack and start yanking their arm out. As opposed to yanking a straight arm out do you think maybe it's curled, causing the elbow to grind the nuts.

Fucking dummy. Phone Post 3.0

uberpinscher -
Mustard Tiger - Give him the better safe than sorry speech again and warn him a couple times if you're striking. Otherwise, it's not your responsibility to protect this man's testicles. Let him learn the hard way; eventually he will catch one in the bean bag.

As others have said; really not a huge deal if it's bjj. Unless he tries to sink in his third hook or tries to catch you in the legendary "W Guard."
ChockEmOut - Next time you train with him, stand up in his guard and pass through with your knee in the middle. He will learn the hard way.
RASHADsBBCGAVeMeaVAGiNALtear - Let him attempt an armbar. Elbows to the nuts is a sure fire way to get people to wear cups.
Have you ever arm barred someone without a cup? It's terrible and makes one want to wear a cup. Phone Post 3.0

Wow dude... do you know how to arm bar? You don't line their elbow/tricep up with your ball sack bro. I don't know if this is a troll or you really just don't know this. Do you also line up your package with the bridge of their nose in north south as well? When doing a back roll, do you go directly over your spine?

I think cups during grappling is up to the individual but relatively speaking its kind of a weak move. Compression shorts are your friend. And as for your whack ass armbar technique - you will never learn how to do it properly if you keep doing it that way.

So when you armbar someone they just let you? Or maybe they stack and start yanking their arm out. As opposed to yanking a straight arm out do you think maybe it's curled, causing the elbow to grind the nuts.

Causing the elbow to grind the nuts ...

uberpinscher -

Yes I think they "just let you". No, but if you are hitting armbars from good setups the arm is already locked in, or elbow pinned to your chest, or knees pinched tight on their body, or a good grip on their wrist then its fine.

Are you really arguing that guys are going to be driving their elbows downward? at worst yes their arm will be bent, that's why you learn to make angles, or switch to an alternate sub or sweep.

Having an irrational fear of nutshots during grappling and trying to convince people that the cup is just not right.

Do you really think that all the great BJJ players throughout history would agree with you that you need a cup to do an arm bar safely and comfortably?

If the armbar is almost lost and their elbow is sliding precariously close to your sack, the answer isn't bite down on your gum guard and wear a cup to strong arm the finish. Your hips/pelvic bone are under the arm a few inches up from the elbow... even if there are a few occasions where your nightmare scenario happens, it still isn't enough to validate the cup IMO.

I went to a tournament a grappling tournament and they didn't allow cups. I still wore one and almost got dq for it pretty stupid after I received a low blow. Wtf? Phone Post 3.0

I've never wore a cup for bjj and never had a problem. Of course I'm hung like....I dont know. But I'm small!

I wear a cup so that I keep my junk from being in his face. I also play a lot of half guard and prefer not to play rub the tree. I don't get a tourney or school not allowing cups. Phone Post 3.0

StephenLangdown - That's stupid. Kick him in the nuts, he'll learn. ;) Phone Post 3.0
I look forward to the day that happens lol. Phone Post 3.0

downunderground - A guy came to our gym one day for sparring and I had never seen him before. He said to me as we touched gloves "no face shots if that's alright" I said "sure no problem". As I jabbed to his body he proceeded to throw a straight right hand at I would say about 90% directly to my chin. I guess he meant no face shots on him but hitting me in the face was fine Phone Post 3.0
What a punk Phone Post 3.0

badboyhere -

maybe he has no balls

Fair point. Ill text him an let you know the response Phone Post 3.0

JOESONDO -
Raj aldo - So basically my mate says he is better because he does not wear a cup in training/sparring as he is more aware of protecting himself.

Obviously I then debated the lunacy of this theory an that its utter bs! Points such as you might aswell stop wearing a gum shield or even wear a seat belt while your driving a car then based on that logic.

My question to the ug is has anyone ever told you something as stupid as the above an what was it?. Some nonsense techniques or style that they truly believed an defended? Phone Post 3.0
Maybe he doesn't want to wear a cup when rolling with you for other reasons? Phone Post 3.0
We dont train at the same gym anymore and he still bangs on about it. He lives in london now thus has started talking alot more bullshit Phone Post 3.0

Ghost of Retard -

Gum Sheild?

What country do you live in?

England mate Phone Post 3.0

Ray Cappa - is it mma or bjj? Cuz in gi bjj you can't wear a cup anyway. My school you're not allowed to wear a cup, since you can't wear one in comp. anyway. So which one is it?
Just striking we were discussing. The fact that its simply inevitable a ball shot will occur failed to grab his common sense. Worst thing is this guy has a job at Google. ..:-(

He also thought the groves froch ref stoppage was just... Phone Post 3.0

bignightmare - I wear a cup so that I keep my junk from being in his face. I also play a lot of half guard and prefer not to play rub the tree. I don't get a tourney or school not allowing cups. Phone Post 3.0
Completely agree... it also helps hide the smell of sweaty sacks cuz not every bjj lover likes to shower regularly. ..

It was only in a striking sense but in grappling id still wear a cup. Phone Post 3.0

I armbar frequently without a cup - that is, I never wear a cup and I frequently armbar. Occasionally, it is uncomfortable, but I'm not such pussy that I'll let go an armbar because of a little ball-pain. And intentional elbows to the nuts is a sure way to get me to ignore taps.

You do sound like a really shitty training partner.

Maybe hes a sadomasichist (sp) and he wants to get hit in his balls? Phone Post 3.0

dakotajudo - 

I armbar frequently without a cup - that is, I never wear a cup and I frequently armbar. Occasionally, it is uncomfortable, but I'm not such pussy that I'll let go an armbar because of a little ball-pain. And intentional elbows to the nuts is a sure way to get me to ignore taps.

You do sound like a really shitty training partner.

glad someone else chimmed in. Obviously not wearing a cup for striking is stupid. But these people who wear cups during grappling are a little weak minded.

Sorry that's just the way it is. Also, the reason they don't allow cups in tourneys is because people can get hurt with them. If the cup moves and your opponent smash passes you with a piece of plastic between your legs for example.

And it give an artificial surface for you to complete armbars with.

I agree with @Dakotajudo - I armbar frequently as well and wear compression shorts under a pair of shorts with built in semi compression. I aim to have my crotch planted to their tricep/almost in their armpit - then a controlled adjustment towards the elbow as needed (with proper arm control with your hands, hips close, legs doing their job, etc...). To those who never train without a cup, try it sometime - your balls probably wont explode and you probably won't "turn gay".