Frontline PBS Show - Mormons

Okay, pretty well done I thought. Here's what I learned about the LDS:

1. Marriages are granted for eternity
  2. The baptize the dead.

Discuss amongst yourselves!

Aren't they baptized for the dead? 

Yeah, I'd never heard of that concept before. They have millions of names on record that they are baptizing people for.

I thought it was good. I just remembered I have to record part 2 tonight.

There's a part II? Cool.

LDS is the fastest growing religion in the world.

"LDS is the fastest growing religion in the world. "

I find that hard to believe.  Did they provide any data to back that up?  I doubt it can be in raw numbers...percentages?  That sounds fishy to me...

why would that even matter, it has nothing to do with its value as a religion.

"why would that even matter, it has nothing to do with its value as a religion. "

Actually, it was meant strictly as an observation not as an opinion on the value of the religion.

I find that hard to believe. Did they provide any data to back that up? I doubt it can be in raw numbers...percentages? That sounds fishy to me...

I misquoted. Its billed as the fastest growing religion in the United States:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0427/p12s03-altv.html

I recently read that actually Wicca is the fastest growing in the US.  That's always a funny number though since a one member church double in size with a new member.

It was a pretty good show. I really like my mormon neighbors, but Joseph Smith was not a true prophet of God.

This was a really well-done, even-handed treatment of Mormonism. If you know nothing about Mormonism and want a great introduction, I'd watch this instead of either 1. inviting in the Mormon missionaries or 2. listening to the anti-mormon rhetoric that gets published and voiced in a lot of circles. Both those sources are skewed, limited, overwhelmingly biased, and usually uneducated.

The documentary was a great introductory view of the good, bad, the beautiful and the ugly of Mormonism. I think PBS will show it several times and I'd recommend it to anyone interested.

--Estlin, aka Tulkas, aka Rick.

P.S. Only stopped in because I figured this documentary might come up and I wanted to offer my endorsement in case anyone was wondering. God bless to everyone.

estlinolson "at" hotmail "dot" com

That's what I thought also. A fair presentation.

Joseph Smith was a 12 year old boy and they are making a religion around a 12 year old boy that saw visions?

I dated a Mormon girl and attended the Mormon church for 1 year. For the first 3-6 months or longer you attend an indoctrination about the religion. When they think that you are ready, you then get to attend the men's Sunday School, women and men are separated here. Then you attend the service which is conducted by members. In the entire year that I spent there, they did not pick up the Bible once and read it. It was always the Book of Mormon.

What I did like about the Mormons is you are "adopted" by another Mormon family for one year and you each exchange visits and dinner at each other's homes once a week to get to know each other and pray. At the end of the year, you switch families. Since I was not a member, I could not participate in this part of the church. I found the church members unfriendly and not welcoming. I find myself as if I was an alien and not part of their click.

You have two types of weddings. You can be married in the church or you can be married in one of the dozen or so temples. If you are married in the temple, the marriage is of God and divorce is frowned upon. The temples are closed to the public and Mormon members unless you have a temple recommend.

I'm confused...Do you mean any Christian Church or a Mormon Church? If so, I didn't know they had churches. Please clarify.

Thinking for yourself is the most important conversion that someone can make, IMO.

But be careful of the temptation to think that being Mormon (or Christian, or Buddhist, or anything else) is necessarily the OPPOSITE of thinking.

Many of us come closer to our faith when we begin to think. Others, like me, are just left in a horribly difficult limbo. : )

Which things in the documentary did you find a little off, btw?

Others, like me, are just left in a horribly difficult limbo. : )

You missed the memo, the Pope got rid of Limbo a couple of weeks ago. You're free to go!

Rick,

Did you get the mail I sent you yesterday? No rush for a reply. Just curious if it went through.

I did and I'm sorry I've not replied yet. Stuck at work and want to give the reply a little more thought than the quick posts here.

Plus...didn't I self-ban? I shouldn't be here at all.

peace out,

Rick