Fun Fact: Obama Will Have Lost More House Seats...

in mid-terms since Truman more thyan 60 years ago. Good job, Barry!

Racism!

Any older OGers around here? Has this country ever been as polarized in politics right now in your lifetime? I've asked a few people before and they always say the Nixon/Carter years in the 70's were terribly divided, but this is just getting insane now.

Never as much in so many areas.

Straight, information based news used to be the norm with opinion based 'news-tainment' being the minority. That reversal over the last 20 years is the culprit. At least in the 60's there was actual change happening which prompted a clash of cultures as norms and mores change. Now it's just loud blowhards and shills earning cash off people's prejudices.

johnf87 - Any older OGers around here? Has this country ever been as polarized in politics right now in your lifetime? I've asked a few people before and they always say the Nixon/Carter years in the 70's were terribly divided, but this is just getting insane now.

My dad says it was bad in the 70s and 80s around here. Like you just didn't even talk politics cause some asshole would want to fight every time. Of course that's when UAW was getting raped at JI Case, Caterpillar and Deere.

pulsar - 

Straight, information based news used to be the norm with opinion based 'news-tainment' being the minority. That reversal over the last 20 years is the culprit. At least in the 60's there was actual change happening which prompted a clash of cultures as norms and mores change. Now it's just loud blowhards and shills earning cash off people's prejudices.

Right, Clownshoe. You're an expert on the US media in the 60's vs. now. The biggest difference is, there's more sources now. More diffuse, not reliant on 3 sources now.

There was an old saying in bars, never talk about religion or politics. Like i said its an old saying so i imagine things were more serious back in the day.

Now, with the internet being parts of everyday lives, there is so much MISinformation out there and what not, you can't take what anyone says serious.

It's worse now due to the decline of the southern democrats and the rockefeller republicans (and the forces that claused the decline of those groups).

rufus - 
pulsar - 

Right, Clownshoe. You're an expert on the US media in the 60's vs. now. The biggest difference is, there's more sources now. More diffuse, not reliant on 3 sources now.

As always your insults are effectively compliments.

More sources is part of it... For said shills and blowhards to SELL their message. I would posit those fewer sources had to craft a more balanced message.

People like sugars and saturated fats. That doesn't mean people should consume it as their only sustenance.