Fundamentals

In lots of interviews, people always say they practice the fundamentals and that you have to master these before you can consider adding additional techniques to your arsenal. What techniques do you think are required fundamentals in each aspect: Takedowns, Passes, Sweeps, Arm Locks, Chokes, Self-Defense? What key aspects do you focus on to make the technique work for you? How often does your instructor review and drill these?

We always have new people checking out our gym, so we go over the same stuff quite a bit. I always figure out something new every time though, and its good to drill with different body types. My coach Darin Cooley, has us do a lot of armbar drills and just basic stuff like shrimping all the time and it helps a ton even though it can seem kinda boring. Once you shrimp out of mount back to guard it makes sense. Phone Post 3.0

Fundamentals will carry you through white to black. I kinda skipped using my fundamentals as a blue belt and went straight to finding something new and advanced. Now as a purple belt and watching the really good guys at black belt as well as MMA fighters... Fundamentals is the best way to go when it comes to bjj. You may think that it's boring or your style isn't exciting like the Medea bros or the miyao brothers. Look at guys like Kron, osiander, Marcelo, roger, jacare, zak maxwell, saulo, lovato, xande. All of them use basic bjj that you learn as a white belt. So now, personally I've stopped using advanced moved and I only use basics. And it's made my game more aggressive and smashing because of it.

So the lesson: keep it simple stupid Phone Post 3.0

Everyone who says grapplers x1,x2......xn use "basics you learn as a white belt" is delusional. All those guys are using incredibly advanced techniques. Just because we can't observe the details, doesn't mean there isn't something special there.

And I like how there is a distinction between marcelo, Lovato, Zak Maxwell and the Mendes Bros. Even giving the fact that anyone you've listed does "basic BJJ", how do these guys have comparably basic/fundamental games? Are X guard and Spider guard now basic techniques/positions?

Either you develop "advanced positions" to deal with other advanced positions, or you develop advanced details for your "basics" (that obv all the white belts learn lolol) to deal with it.

Regardless, I think there is a distinction between fundamentals and basics. IMO Fundamentals are grappling principles that can be applied to basically every technique, across grappling arts. Things like Posture, Elbow-Core relationship, hip movement etc. Basics are then Art specific. I take "basics" to be techniques you learn early and spend your entire BJJ journey trying to perfect. The armbar from closed guard is one of those positions.

Move backwards, keep at arms length and shut them down my man, theres your fundamentals Phone Post

"Regardless, I think there is a distinction between fundamentals and basics. IMO Fundamentals are grappling principles that can be applied to basically every technique, across grappling arts. Things like Posture, Elbow-Core relationship, hip movement etc. Basics are then Art specific. I take "basics" to be techniques you learn early and spend your entire BJJ journey trying to perfect. The armbar from closed guard is one of those positions."

This may help. Henry Akins showing the finer details/concepts of the armbar and triangle that make a technique more efficient and in my opinion what makes a basic technique a more "advanced basic" technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWc3uaHe5GQ

for pheonix5

UGCTT_Gubment Cheese - 

for pheonix5

Thank you man. I've seen Saulo teach similar concepts in his DVD series. Worth getting if you haven't already.

Muffinho - Everyone who says grapplers x1,x2......xn use "basics you learn as a white belt" is delusional. All those guys are using incredibly advanced techniques. Just because we can't observe the details, doesn't mean there isn't something special there.

And I like how there is a distinction between marcelo, Lovato, Zak Maxwell and the Mendes Bros. Even giving the fact that anyone you've listed does "basic BJJ", how do these guys have comparably basic/fundamental games? Are X guard and Spider guard now basic techniques/positions?

Either you develop "advanced positions" to deal with other advanced positions, or you develop advanced details for your "basics" (that obv all the white belts learn lolol) to deal with it.

Regardless, I think there is a distinction between fundamentals and basics. IMO Fundamentals are grappling principles that can be applied to basically every technique, across grappling arts. Things like Posture, Elbow-Core relationship, hip movement etc. Basics are then Art specific. I take "basics" to be techniques you learn early and spend your entire BJJ journey trying to perfect. The armbar from closed guard is one of those positions.

Take a bow: excellent.

Sub Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post

Henry is the man for efficient and advanced basics.

Also Gumby has a very good curriculum for basics. Maybe he will post it.

Osianders stuff is pretty basic. But I have to totally agree about Henry. Phone Post 3.0

Sub for later Phone Post

Basic techniques geared towards fighting and not competition.

Thanks guys. What I was really hoping for was to put together a list of a few techniques for each position that people thought were absolutely essential for all BJJ players to know and master and any insights people had on making them work. Here’s the start of my list:

Take Downs
- Single Leg Ankle Pick: Use a strong grip under the elbow and pivot to force your opponent to step forwards with the foot that you want to grab
- Osoto-Gari: Drive your opponent back and onto their left foot by keeping your right arm grip on the collar tight and almost throwing a right cross (similar motion, don’t punch the guy) to load their weight onto the left side

Guard Pass
-Two Hands Under Smash: After getting your grip on their opposite collar with the thumb in, use your knee under their tail bone to put all of their weight onto the wrist across their throat to make them want to push their legs to the side to relieve the pressure. Use your right hand to trap their right leg over their left leg so they are twisted as you move into side control and can’t recompose guard.

Sweeps
- Sit up Sweep: Make sure you post on your hand and not your elbow to ensure you have enough height to get your hips higher than theirs to drive them backwards and to the side

Arm Bar
- Arm Bar from guard: Make sure you turn as close to perpendicular to them as possible before bringing your second leg over their head to finish

Chokes
- Cross choke: To finish make sure you roll your wrists to put the hard part of your forearm bone into their neck and curl your fists back towards you to put pressure on their neck

What techniques are on your lists and why?

Rogans Heroes - Thanks guys. What I was really hoping for was to put together a list of a few techniques for each position that people thought were absolutely essential for all BJJ players to know and master and any insights people had on making them work. Here’s the start of my list:

Take Downs
- Single Leg Ankle Pick: Use a strong grip under the elbow and pivot to force your opponent to step forwards with the foot that you want to grab
- Osoto-Gari: Drive your opponent back and onto their left foot by keeping your right arm grip on the collar tight and almost throwing a right cross (similar motion, don’t punch the guy) to load their weight onto the left side

Guard Pass
-Two Hands Under Smash: After getting your grip on their opposite collar with the thumb in, use your knee under their tail bone to put all of their weight onto the wrist across their throat to make them want to push their legs to the side to relieve the pressure. Use your right hand to trap their right leg over their left leg so they are twisted as you move into side control and can’t recompose guard.

Sweeps
- Sit up Sweep: Make sure you post on your hand and not your elbow to ensure you have enough height to get your hips higher than theirs to drive them backwards and to the side

Arm Bar
- Arm Bar from guard: Make sure you turn as close to perpendicular to them as possible before bringing your second leg over their head to finish

Chokes
- Cross choke: To finish make sure you roll your wrists to put the hard part of your forearm bone into their neck and curl your fists back towards you to put pressure on their neck

What techniques are on your lists and why?

The two hands under smash pass does not work the way you have described. Not even a little bit against anyone who has a decent guard.

Henry has posted a bunch of his what i call very advanced basics in his Hiden JiuJitsu Facebook Group.  He tells some cool stories on there too.

Also at  his school in Dynamix BJJ In West LA he teaches a basics class that i try to go to once or twice a week.

Shoco - 

Move backwards, keep at arms length and shut them down my man, theres your fundamentals Phone Post

awesome