Funk Prevention for Fighters (staph, etc.)

Normally I just post snarky remarks on here, but in light of the recent news breaking on Maia's staph situation I've decided to share my tips and some science for preventing fungal and bacterial skin diseases. Hopefully these prevention tips can help someone!

In high school, I had Impetigo keep me from competing in the Divisions tournament to qualify for Sections when I was ranked top 5. After this I put some time into learning how to prevent these diseases. Fungal and Bacterial infections in combat sports are commonly spread from skin to skin contact and multiple peoples skin coming into contact with the same mat. Because of this, it is said that gi jiu-jitsu guys don't get these as often due to the barrier between them and possible infection (the gi). Before EVERY PRACTICE the mats should be mopped with special cleaners to kill and threats that may be living on them. http://www.amazon.com/Dollamur-Mat-Cleaner-Quart/dp/B00O5CCT44/ref=sr_1_1/187-2118261-8342140?ie=UTF8&qid=1439492703&sr=8-1&keywords=wrestling+mat+cleaner
The funk thrives in gross, humid rooms.

Obviously such infections harm the skin more than the mat, and care must be taken here too. Although some people prefer minimum clothing for whatever reason, care should be taken to put a layer between you, other people, and the mat. Although it may look goofy, spats and a rashguard are always a good idea. The more skin you expose, the higher the threat. Remember to always wash your gear and disinfect headgear, shin pads, and gloves with something antibacterial like lysol (not febreeze) and let it air out. A sealed, sweaty bag is a breeding ground for the funk.

Lastly, remember hygeine. Shower with antibacterial soap like Defense soap or The Arm Bar Soap Company AS SOON AFTER PRACTICE AS POSSIBLE. If you're on a budget, plain Dial is still better than soap that isn't anti-bacterial. Try to stay warm between practice and showering so that your pores don't close up and trap fungus and bacteria. This will make it more vulnerable to the soaps effects.

In the event that you get or think you might have the funk, see a doctor immediately. Although there are dangerous home remedies like burning ringworm out with 35% peroxide (not that I've ever done that...) nothing can replace modern medicine. The sooner you fight it, the better off you are. Hopefully my tips help someone!

Just take a hot shower after you workout, its simple.

Clean your mats, and have clean training partners.

I've never had staph, ring worm, etc... Clean yourself, your gear, and your mats.

yeah,don't need to buy those snake oil soaps,hot shower + regular soap right after is the best way to go.save your money.

EKPOGI - yeah,don't need to buy those snake oil soaps,hot shower + regular soap right after is the best way to go.save your money.

i dont agree with this...ive always showered right after training and ive still caught stuff,im not gonna go into it all again i have a few times on here before but the point it was always leading to was i havent got anything since ive started using defense soap everytime i train,and that was in a gym where ringworm was going around for a bit

TheThrill -
EKPOGI - yeah,don't need to buy those snake oil soaps,hot shower + regular soap right after is the best way to go.save your money.

i dont agree with this...ive always showered right after training and ive still caught stuff,im not gonna go into it all again i have a few times on here before but the point it was always leading to was i havent got anything since ive started using defense soap everytime i train,and that was in a gym where ringworm was going around for a bit
Same here. I'm OCD about being sanitary. I ALWAYS hot showered right after bjj. I still got ring worm once. Phone Post 3.0

Maybe not the "fight" soaps, but I'd say anti-bacterial is 100% essential. Even if it's just dial or hand soap it's better than that smell-good shit that doesn't actually kill anything.

I am NOT DOWN with this thread

Ringworm is a fungi rather than a bacteria, so you want an antifungal in your soap/bodywash.

cool hand Ed - 
TheThrill -

Same here. I'm OCD about being sanitary. I ALWAYS hot showered right after bjj. I still got ring worm once. Phone Post 3.0

awesome then guys, enjoy defense soap.you get to keep your natural floura!

I'm not sure about cleaning the mats every day. It sounds good in theory but that's how you get golden staff. It builds a resistance to the cleaners. Hospitals are rife with it for that reason.
Direct sunlight helps kill it Phone Post 3.0