Fuuuuck not a Dyson Sphere :(

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180103101133.htm

So, if there are aliens, where the FUK are they?

Came for a vacuum, left disappointed. 

We are talking about the possibility of extraterrestial life elsewhere in the universe, or lack thereof, and Captain CargoShorts is worried about vacuuming his dirty ass rug.  Seems fitting.

Captain CargoShorts -

I love his commercial. Something about the way he says “...more crucially it does not lose its sucking power.”

LiveWire -
Captain CargoShorts -

I love his commercial. Something about the way he says “...more crucially it does not lose its sucking power.”

Like OPs mom!

I had seen info on these on Isaac Arthur's channel. His choice is equally enchanting and aggrevating. He talks about some really cool stuff.

https://youtu.be/HlmKejRSVd8

Nitecrawler - 
LiveWire -
Captain CargoShorts -

Like OPs mom!

Hey!  I want in on this, because I've already been in your mom!   BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

Buffer720 - I had seen info on these on Isaac Arthur's channel. His choice is equally enchanting and aggrevating. He talks about some really cool stuff.

https://youtu.be/HlmKejRSVd8

Whoa, gotta check this out.  Thanks!

Captain CargoShorts -

Homeslice - 

Our technology to detect extraterrestrial life is woefully short range and slow (travels at the speed of light. thus the data is 4-billions of years old)  and ineffective.

It isn't that they aren't out there, it is that it will take momumental luck or technology advancement to make it plausible. The best case is that in the 100 or so years since radio broadcasted, a civilization picked it up, deciphered it, and sent us a reply. It would take them just as long to send us a reply as it did for us to send it to them.

AnimeFrog - 
DaveFu -
Homeslice - 

Our technology to detect extraterrestrial life is woefully short range and slow (travels at the speed of light. thus the data is 4-billions of years old)  and ineffective.

It isn't that they aren't out there, it is that it will take momumental luck or technology advancement to make it plausible. The best case is that in the 100 or so years since radio broadcasted, a civilization picked it up, deciphered it, and sent us a reply. It would take them just as long to send us a reply as it did for us to send it to them.

then why haven't we detected their communications? most likely answer is because they aren't there.

No it is the among the least likely. Space is insanely vast as is the Electromagnetic spectrum that "conventional (light speed)" information, possibly detectable by us, travels on. I don't have the motivation to explain it to you, but I dealt with it professionally for a number of years.

We've been around 65 million years and have only had 100 years of communication able to travel into space. 100 light years in all directions in the 125,000 lightyear wide milky way galaxy, one of quadrillions IIRC.. It's a drop in an ocean.

DaveFu - 
AnimeFrog - 
DaveFu -
Homeslice - 

then why haven't we detected their communications? most likely answer is because they aren't there.

No it is the among the least likely. Space is insanely vast as is the Electromagnetic spectrum that "conventional (light speed)" information, possibly detectable by us, travels on. I don't have the motivation to explain it to you, but I dealt with it professionally for a number of years.

We've been around 65 million years and have only had 100 years of communication able to travel into space. 100 light years in all directions in the 125,000 lightyear wide milky way galaxy, one of quadrillions IIRC.. It's a drop in an ocean.

So 65 million/100 years might be non-primitive life on earth/us, but there has been billions of years where the same thing could have evolved around other stars, and billions of years that, if they achieved radio/light/etc. communication, those communications could have gotten to us.  If they are out there, we should be swimming in them.  But despite listhing for, what, 30 or 40 years, we've found fuck all.  Why?

AnimeFrog - 
Homeslice -
DaveFu - 
AnimeFrog - 
DaveFu -
Homeslice - 

So 65 million/100 years might be non-primitive life on earth/us, but there has been billions of years where the same thing could have evolved around other stars, and billions of years that, if they achieved radio/light/etc. communication, those communications could have gotten to us.  If they are out there, we should be swimming in them.  But despite listhing for, what, 30 or 40 years, we've found fuck all.  Why?

the simple answer is because they aren't there.

I know.  I never wanted to believe that, but it really is the only logical explanation.  We are alone.  :(

https://zidbits.com/2011/07/how-far-have-radio-signals-traveled-from-earth/

"Because of this inverse square law, all of our terrestrial radio signals become indistinguishable from background noise at around a few light-years from earth. For a civilization only a couple hundred light-years away, trying to listen to our broadcasts would be like trying to detect the small ripple from a pebble dropped in the pacific ocean off the coast of California – from Japan."

" If they are out there, we should be swimming in them.  But despite listhing for, what, 30 or 40 years, we've found fuck all.  Why?"

Because any signals could either be incredibly weak or from places so far away that any outbound signals won't reach us for a very very long time?

Not to mention everything outside the observable universe, who's signals / light will never ever reach us.

I firmly believe that the universe is teeming with life. A lot of it probably intelligent. It's just all in places so far away, we will never know about it. 

Frankly I'm not sure how anyone with an ounce of sense could think this is an impossibility. 

AnimeFrog -
DaveFu -
AnimeFrog - 
DaveFu -
Homeslice - 

lol @ 65 Million years, so are you claiming that "we" were around during the KT extinction event? Did "we" ride around on dinsaurs back then?

I also like how you talk about "conventional" light-speed information, as if you have any evidence of faster-than-light communication. There is no evidence that aliens exist and no evidence that anything can travel faster than c. According to current knoewledge, physics is the same in all inertial frames and the speed of light in vacuum is the same for all observers. So are you planning on updating relativity with your "professional dealings"?

You're both overly excitable and not especially perceptive? That's a winning combination! 

WINNING 

DaveFu -

"Because of this inverse square law, all of our terrestrial radio signals become indistinguishable from background noise at around a few light-years from earth. For a civilization only a couple hundred light-years away, trying to listen to our broadcasts would be like trying to detect the small ripple from a pebble dropped in the pacific ocean off the coast of California – from Japan."

But didn't you see that Futurama episode where Lrrrrrrr is watching earth TV from 1000 years earlier?

That's based on solid science! 

iclimb513 - 
DaveFu -

But didn't you see that Futurama episode where Lrrrrrrr is watching earth TV from 1000 years earlier?

That's based on solid science! 

Omicron Persei 8 fought bravely in the cable wars of 2304 and exterminated Comcast once and for all. Spoils of war man...spoils of war!

AnimeFrog is trolling space again. 

Well we have already seen evidence of liquid water elsewhere in our own solar system. The stuff that everything is pretty much the same, at least locally. So its not unreasonable to assume that life could likely exist and even thrive elsewhere.

The things working against discovery are time and distance.

Our own technological existence is a mere blink of an eye. So for another technological civilization to both exist within that time frame, and also have the desire/ability to communicate across interstellar space -- is a daunting scnerio to say the least.

Meanwhile, probes that we launched in the 70's are just recently reaching the edges of our solar system -- and we have yet to visit our neighbor planet.

It would take a form of technology abstract from our current direct communication methods to realistically (beyond blind luck) search for intelligent life elswhere. And if humanity is any example -- contact would be very very risky.