G. Ryan vs C. Jacobs

tryonmytoupee - 

I always thought hed challenged him to a straight  wrestling match?

I think that was what started it. I heard that he would be open to a grappling match as well but I haven’t really looked into it. I know he was a pretty good D! wrestler so maybe thats all he wants to do.

Here is the final of 2018

https://youtu.be/gdrjep51uNY

Calhoon - 

I watched that match and it was interesting. Hammer is a pretty big dude and Curran hung in there and wore him out. The rules look like a mix of wrestling with subs so in my mind Ryan wouldn’t have much trouble adapting. I liked that fact that no one pulled guard but falling and turtling up is kind of the same thing IMHO. I also hate to say it but the sub attempts aren’t as sharp as we see in Bjj but once again thats just my opinion.

MrBlonde - 
TheThrill - curran jacobs doesnt want a single fucking thing to do with gordon ryan in any skillset that involves submissions, he only wants to go takedowns

I don’t think he realizes how fucking good Ryan is at grappling. For some reason I think he actually believes that he could beat Ryan. Either that or he is looking to get some attention.

hes a wannabe actor, calling out barnett and ryan is just to get his name out there would be my guess

not sure about barnett but gordon ryan competes like twice a month, he isnt hard to find if youre serious

MrBlonde -
Calhoon - 

I watched that match and it was interesting. Hammer is a pretty big dude and Curran hung in there and wore him out. The rules look like a mix of wrestling with subs so in my mind Ryan wouldn’t have much trouble adapting. I liked that fact that no one pulled guard but falling and turtling up is kind of the same thing IMHO. I also hate to say it but the sub attempts aren’t as sharp as we see in Bjj but once again thats just my opinion.

From what I remember the match Curren wanted was just takedowns only. If that’s the case then Curren gets it imo. But any sub wrestling match and I’d take Gordon also. I think everyone would.

Lucas Maximus -

I was surprised how big he looked next to Barnett who is a true heavyweight

He has a pic on IG standing next to Rockhold, he's just as big if not bigger. Crazy. 

Pic

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoiTZjSBhst/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=dr5x6qqiycrn

What happened to his left lower leg, did Ryan strangle all the blood out of it?

Curran was just on the last episode of the Grappling Central Podcast, and talked about his call out. I will try to post a link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/grappling-central-podcast-biggest-names-in-brazilian/id1044753097?mt=2&i=1000421078755

Lucas Maximus - 

Maybe he skipped half of leg day? Lol

Aaronrodgers=GOAT - 

Pic

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoiTZjSBhst/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=dr5x6qqiycrn

Damn I know Rockhold is like 6’3 and I think they list Ryan at 6’2" so both of them are good sized dudes.

Beep…

SC MMA MD - 

Curran was just on the last episode of the Grappling Central Podcast, and talked about his call out. I will try to post a link.

Ill give it a listen and thanks or posting!

MrBlonde - 
Lucas Maximus - 

Maybe he skipped half of leg day? Lol

It looks like there's some kind of circulation issue going on there

I think I remember him tearing that knee or something but maybe that would explain the atrophy.

Or maybe, just maybe, Ryan strangled the life out of it. lol

So I followed the whole thing from even before the "catch wrestling world championship tournament" because I had someone I knew competing in the tournament (Nick Caggia) and found the concept behind it to be interesting.  I'll try to keep this brief but it might (will) be a little long; I'll toss in some TLDRs along the way though and a final one at the bottom.

Snake Pit USA got a couple other Catch as Catch Can (CACC) organizations to agree to bring back and crown a singular "CACC World Heavyweight Champion" and that the best way to do this was to hold an 8 man tournament and invite the "best Catch Wrestlers in the world".  I use the quotations because the people that were selected were heavily debated and there were questions regarding how they were selected and if people were selected to essentially create an easier path for the people that the promoter wanted to win (I'm assuming they're implying Barnett or possibly Brandon Ruiz who IIRC is a member of Snake Pit USA's "coaching committee" which is basically their leadership council) This is when the Curran Jacobs shit talk started; he created a four part documentary on himself showing his training leading up to the event and bashed Barnett multiple times saying that he's not a catch wrestler, has never been a catch wrestler, and never competed in catch wrestling.  Barnett pulls out and puts in his protégé as his replacement.  This was shady for a number of reasons that I can get into if any is interested, but it's not super relevant to this point.  Regardless, Jacobs goes out and wins 3 matches (against NAGA competitors) to become "#CACCWorldChamp" and vows to bring Catch for the forefront of grappling and "expose the butt scooters". 

TL|DR: Curran won a glorified NAGA Tournament, complete with glorified NAGA belt.

About a week after this FloGrappling published an article about who in BJJ had the best takedowns; Gordon Ryan posted a challenge on his IG for a first to 10 takedown competition against anyone in BJJ.  Curran jumps at the opportunity and calls him out, Gordon replies "I'd do it" and Curran gets excited and says to send him his managers contact.  This is where some debate happens depending on whether or not you believe Curran or Gordon.  Gordon says he sent info but Curran claims it was wrong and that Gordon wasn't responding to his messages.  However, the screenshot that Curran posted clearly shows that the messages weren't delivered through messenger (backfill of the circle was white instead of blue, meaning it hasn't been delivered) but claims that Gordon has read them because "there are ways to read them without showing them as being read"  Gordon claims he never heard anything from Curran and was still up for a match if Curran found someone to pay them.  Curran goes on the offensive with his call outs, to the point of harassing Garry Tonnon who told Curran if he didn't stop it he was going to start sending him dick pics.  Curran claimed that Gordon hadn't accomplished what he had, and that he wasn't an elite wrestler and that he couldn't have made it through the "3 wars" that he had in the CACC World Championship Tournament.  When it was thrown out about doing sub only, he refused saying that Gordon made a wrestling challenge so he was going to hold him to it.   Gordon never mentioned anything about rulesets, just strictly said he was game for a match, but Curran needed to find someone to pay them.  When asked about defending his CACC Title against Gordon, Curran said no because "he hasn't accomplished anything in catch to make him a worthy #1 contender".  Throughout this Curran kept talking about how worthless BJJ was and kept calling Maeda a catch wrestler even though he was a Judoka but would insist that everyone else was "brain washed" by their BJJ instructors.  (Meanwhile, according to his documentaries, he's training his submissions with a BJJ instructor)

TL|DR:  Gordon makes takedown challenge to BJJ Guys, Curran asks for his shot, Gordon agrees.  Chaos and potential dick pics ensue.

Curran continues to pester Gordon and gets excited about a potential match on Submission Underground, says "Guy's it's going to happen".  Timeframe never gets established, I don't know the status of this match.  About this time people start asking if he's going to do the ADCC Trials, and he outright refuses because he's "a catch wrestler" and he's "not going to devalue myself or CACC by competing in some butt scooting competition." but still talked about how a catch wrestler could always beat a BJJ guy with ease.  Explained that a high level wrestler will always be better than a BJJ guy no matter what and that if the wrestler got beat it's because he's not a "true high level wrestler" but that the skill gap between wrestlers and BJJ guys is "miles" (I had this talk with him through messenger when I asked why he felt the need to promote his own sport by putting down BJJ instead of proving himself on the mat.) Shortly after I said something negative regarding him not doing the ADCC Trials, he defriended me on Facebook and I lost some visibility on him for about a month or so.

TL|DR: Curran claims SUG is going to book the match between him and Gordon, no date is given.  Curran refuses to do ADCC Trials because it'll tarnish his NAGA belt.

Snake Pit USA announces Josh Leduc as the #1 Contender to Curran's belt, but he apparently wouldn't agree to the match claiming that Leduc isn't deserving enough and wants a match with the winner of some British Catch Wrestling championship match being held in Nov.  Snake Pit tells him that he has 7 days to agree to the match or they would strip him and have a match to determine the new champion.  7 days passes, Ruiz vs Leduc is announced for the new CACC World Championship; CACC practitioners (all 11 of them) lose their ever loving minds complaining that the tournament that was just held was to determine the new unified champion and Leduc wasn't even in the tournament.  Curran announces his own CACC Federation and says that he'll show up in the UK in Nov.  Leduc calls him out for being scared and makes a meme poster calling himself the "Spartan Slayer" (Curran wrestled at M*ch*gan State) Curran commented something about the event and Gordon told him to shut up and stop ducking Leduc and he would give Curran his match.

That's where it stands as last I saw anything, I watched it all unfold and was extremely interested because I wanted to see how Gordon would have done on the feet against an elite wrestler and I had become a fan of Curran during the lead up and following the CACC world title tournament.

Final TL|DR: Curran won an invite only NAGA tournament and got a belt, Gordon was calling out the best BJJ guys and Curran wanted a shot, Gordo agreed but wanted paid, Curran talked shit about Gordon ducking and being scared for a month, Garry may or may not have sent dick pics to Curran, Curran then ducks Josh Leduc and gets stripped of NAGA Belt, Gordon calls Curran out for ducking and being scarred.  At some point SUG looked into the match, but that's totally unconfirmed.

Good Lord that was even longer than I had expected... (that's what she said... or maybe that's what Curran said?)

Interesting read. So it seems like Curran is just riding his new found Catch belt/Glorified Naga belt fame fir whats its worth. Its too bad because he seems like a solid grappler just not on the level submission wise with high level Bjj guys.

Well thanks for taking the time to explain this my dude. I hope SUG books this match. I have a bet with one of my buddies that Ryan subs Curran in under 3 minutes if they ever grapple.

interesting read

Lucas Maximus - 

Out of fight due to leg injury hmmm