Game of Thrones is Martins second best series.

He also started and edits a series called Wild Cards.

Set during an alternate history of post-World War II United States, the series follows events after an airborne alien virus is released over New York City in 1946 and eventually infects tens of thousands globally. The virus, designed to rewrite DNA, was developed as a bioweapon by a noble family on the planet Takis, and it is taken to Earth to test on humans, who are genetically identical to the people of Takis. Dr. Tachyon, a member of this family, objects and attempts to stop them. However, his attempt crashes their ship, releasing the virus.

The virus affects each individual differently, and it becomes known as the Wild Card virus because of these "random and unpredictable" symptoms. It kills 90% of those who contract it and mutates the remaining percentage. Of that remainder, 9% are Jokers, who develop minor or crippling physical conditions. 1% are Aces, who remain human or mostly human in appearance but develop superhuman abilities; Aces whose abilities are too trivial or specific to be generally valuable are called Deuces.

So he writes some of the stories, gives the rest of the writers overviews of  the plot points of the book and then edits them all together so it is a series of short stories that end up telling a complete story. They have a bunch of books at this point and I really liked them. 

TUF voyaging is his best series, imo.  Wild Cards really is an anthology... so the stories are hit or miss.  The first three covering the initial stroy arc are strong, but then it loses focus.

TUF voyaging, however, is strong throughoit.  Great science fiction.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tuf-Voyaging-George-R-Martin/dp/0345537998/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1557060176&sr=8-1

Broken

website.

FatChrist Magic -

TUF voyaging is his best series, imo.  Wild Cards really is an anthology... so the stories are hit or miss.  The first three covering the initial stroy arc are strong, but then it loses focus.

TUF voyaging, however, is strong throughoit.  Great science fiction.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tuf-Voyaging-George-R-Martin/dp/0345537998/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1557060176&sr=8-1

I have not read those so I can not argue until I do, thanks for the lead on my next book!

Sounds kind of retarded. That fat slob can write entertaining shit if nothing else though, so I might give it a gander.

GoffRAMSmahome'sgutsOUT -

Sounds kind of retarded. That fat slob can write entertaining shit if nothing else though, so I might give it a gander.

It ends up being pretty interesting, super hero type stories with Martins "fucked up shit can happen to anyone" flavor added. 

Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

more stupid than dragons, undead, and sibling fucking?

Donkey Hotee -
Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

Yes, much more stupid.

in that case i do not recommend reading them. 

Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

So did GoT.  Dragons, sword fighting, politics. Nah, I’ll pass  

Then I watched an episode from the middle of season 5. Went to the beginning of the season and watched it all in two days. Then I started from the beginning. Now I’m trying to figure out how to survive until 8pm tonight 

Donkey Hotee -
Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -
Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

Yes, much more stupid.

Hmm I’m intrigued. How many books?

harder question than you might think.

12 books by the first publisher but 26 all together. 

I think 12 in the first set.  It’s out of print.  They started like a second series but it’s not as good. There are some great characters in those books.  Croyd Crenson, Billy Ray, Mackie Messer

Donkey Hotee -
Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -
Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -
Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

Yes, much more stupid.

Hmm I’m intrigued. How many books?

harder question than you might think.

12 books by the first publisher but 26 all together. 

The fuck?

Wild Cards Volume 1 - WILD CARDS

Wild Cards Volume 2 - ACES HIGH

Wild Cards Volume 3 - JOKERS WILD

Wild Cards Volume 4 - ACES ABROAD

Wild Cards Volume 5 - DOWN AND DIRTY

Wild Cards Volume 6 - ACE IN THE HOLE

Wild Cards Volume 7 - DEAD MAN'S HAND

Wild Cards Volume 8 - ONE-EYED JACKS

Wild Cards Volume 9 - JOKERTOWN SHUFFLE

Wild Cards Volume 10 - DOUBLE SOLITAIRE

Wild Cards Volume 11 - DEALER'S CHOICE

Wild Cards Volume 12 - TURN OF THE CARDS

Wild Cards Volume 13 - CARD SHARKS

Wild Cards Volume 14 - MARKED CARDS

Wild Cards Volume 15 - BLACK TRUMP

Wild Cards Volume 16 - DEUCES DOWN

Wild Cards Volume 17 - DEATH DRAWS FIVE

Wild Cards Volume 18 - INSIDE STRAIGHT

Wild Cards Volume 19 - BUSTED FLUSH

Wild Cards Volume 20 - SUICIDE KINGS

Wild Cards Volume 21 - FORT FREAK

Wild Cards Volume 22 - LOWBALL

Wild Cards Volume 23 - HIGH STAKES

Wild Cards Volume 24 - MISSISSIPPI ROLL

Wild Cards Volume 25 - LOW CHICAGO (forthcoming)

Wild Cards Volume 26 - TEXAS HOLD 'EM (forthcoming)

Wild Cards Volume 27 - KNAVES OVER QUEENS (forthcoming)

Donkey Hotee -
Bad Monkey -
Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

Then I watched an episode from the middle of season 5. Went to the beginning of the season and watched it all in two days. Then I started from the beginning. Now I’m trying to figure out how to survive until 8pm tonight 

Agreed, it took till season 4 for my friends to convince me to even try an episode.

But these are books. Twentyfuckingsix of them.

They are great books but if you are not a avid reader I can understand not wanted to jump into something like that.

Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -
Bad Monkey -
Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

Agreed, it took till season 4 for my friends to convince me to even try an episode.

They are great books but if you are not a avid reader I can understand not wanted to jump into something like that.

Christ, how big is each book? Not that long books are an issue if they're good, but 27 books is quite the investment of time.

GoffRAMSmahome'sgutsOUT -
Passive Jay -
Donkey Hotee -
Bad Monkey -
Donkey Hotee -

Sounds stupid as fuck.

Christ, how big is each book? Not that long books are an issue if they're good, but 27 books is quite the investment of time.

normal sized books.

If it helps any its not all one big story. I think the first 12 books are one story arc, then the ones after are a different story arc (or two, been awhile since i read some of them). They are all in the same world but its not a 27 part story. 

I read the first 12 back in the day. Reasonably entertaining light reading. The first 5 are really solid, and I liked how they tied into real events. I also liked the presidential candidate who could mind control people he touched, that was wild.

Also found it funny that the strongest "hero" was a poor black pimp, dude was almost on the level of Superman, and he could bring people back from the dead by fucking their corpse in the ass :-P

None So Blind - I read the first 12 back in the day. Reasonably entertaining light reading. The first 5 are really solid, and I liked how they tied into real events. I also liked the presidential candidate who could mind control people he touched, that was wild.

Also found it funny that the strongest "hero" was a poor black pimp, dude was almost on the level of Superman, and he could bring people back from the dead by fucking their corpse in the ass :-P

He could raise the dead by fucking them in their deceased assholes? I think George R.R. Martin is secretly an OG'er. Only one of us could come up with a superpower like that.

A Game of Thrones is a masterpiece, none of the follow up novels comes close to approaching the first. The wild card series starts out as mindless drivel and only gets worse.

read Joe Abercrombie instead.