Gaming and depression. Anyone else?

I've had depression issues since I was a teen. It comes and goes. Luckily I don't have it as bad as many others that I have seen. My bouts are not often and don't last long luckily. But I have noticed that gaming really helps when I have those episodes. I guess its due to the talking and interacting. Just an observation I had today that I thought I'd share with the GG. Reloading and doing arcade restos don't get me out of the funk, but gaming does. Later on when some psychologist says he noticed this first I want evidence that it was I who discovered it. And then I want my kickbacks for console and game sales from M$. Just sayin

Never battled depression, but I had ditched gaming for a while in my 20s and took up drinking. Shitty day? Have a drink. Great day? Have three drinks!

Lots of bars, bar tabs, drives back home I shouldn't have been operating a vehicle during, etc. Gaming has helped curb a lot of that. I might drink like 2 sixers a month now. If I need to take my mind off things I'll just get sucked into whatever my current game is. It just lets me put whatever "serious" stuff is happening on hold to carve out an hour or two of not caring.

LittleKang and i play a lot with a former marine who also used gaming to help break an alcohol addiction. Anyone who has played with me on a Friday or Saturday night probably thinks I am an alcoholic. I swear i only drink weekends and not even every weekend.

Tbh when im feeling down i hate gaming. I just cant be bothered to even finish a game of nba. My release is loud music and going for a drive with my girl or on my own, screaming along to ac/dc whilst flying down a country road is such a release for me. Btw op i suffered with depression when i was 16/17 had the tablets and everything, hope you beat what ever demons you are facing :) Phone Post 3.0

I think it works. Even just as a stress reliever. Gives me an hour or so of alone time after dealing with people at work and when my wife is annoying. Phone Post 3.0

"It just lets me put whatever "serious" stuff is happening on hold to carve out an hour or two of not caring"

Well said. Same. Phone Post 3.0

It's complete escapism for me. I'm not sure if any of you listen to IGN's podcast beyond, but they've discussed this a couple of times the last 2 weeks.

Last week they did a make wish and did the podcast with a sick teen and it was awesome and heartwarming. The kid was saying how he just loves being able to do anything in games since in real life there's not much he can do unassisted.

This week the host was talking about playing his Vita while going through Chemo. The other guys mentioned break ups and deaths in the family and what games the remember using as an escape.
Very good listens. Phone Post 3.0

Sometimes it helps for me. Other times it doesn't do nothing just makes me sick like most things. Hope all you brahs learn new ways to cope with it. Mine seems to be doing good atm.

In college had a Bout of depression. played the shit out of Red Dead Redemption . So true.. it was a release from the world. Haven't had anything since. Phone Post 3.0

I truly believe skyrim kept me sane and kept me from hurting myself. Was flat broke, no job, living off unemployment with my parents, my sister, and her boyfriend. 50% of my day was spent alternating between looking for jobs and hating myself. Wondering if I would ever amount to anything.

I literally lost myself in Skyrim. Can't count how many nights I spent glued to the computer. It was one of only a handful of things that legitimately brought me joy in what was one of the darkest periods of my life.

This year I cleared 50k and am up for a promotion very soon. I still haven't replayed Skyrim out of fear it'll bring back memories of that painful period. Phone Post 3.0

Gaming after a shitty day is a huge coping skill Phone Post 3.0

Hmm gaming is a drug which can be useful but also be harmful.

There was certainly one period in my life when getting lost in a game (civ2 when it was new long long ago) did actually help me get out of a cycle of negative thoughts.

But on the other hand getting sucked in too deeply and you can lose years of your life without noticing, and end up getting more depressed about it.

I guess like all drugs, use with caution.

Rick50 - I think it works. Even just as a stress reliever. Gives me an hour or so of alone time after dealing with people at work and when my wife is annoying. Phone Post 3.0

yup, maybe its the same with most hobbies, but a few hours of alone-time gaming and i am fully recharged mentally.

For me it both helps and makes it worse if that makes sense. Been having bouts with depression a lot, I fade away into playing games and feel better while playing but it just makes everything worse in the long run as I tend to shut myself off. Gamed a shitload between 15-22, barely any from 22-29 and now picked it up again from 29-32 and as much as I love gaming I do feel it's not more than a short term fix for depression Phone Post 3.0

I should clarify that I'm not talking about playing an hour a day after work like some of you guys talked about. I tend to get obsessed if I do start playing :P Phone Post 3.0

SwedishShooto - I should clarify that I'm not talking about playing an hour a day after work like some of you guys talked about. I tend to get obsessed if I do start playing :P Phone Post 3.0

i know quite a few people like you..they will turn their system on right after work and play until they go to sleep..i play maybe 1-2 hours a night but back a few years when COD4 was the craze, id put some hours in...

when i game too much, i feel like im wasting my time and shoul dbe doing something else and i should be...i honestly dont think any grown man should sit and play videogames for 3-4 hours atraight yet i know plenty that do..

I think it may be withdraw from gaming that is causing your depression. Similar to an addiction. Phone Post 3.0

PdW2kX - I truly believe skyrim kept me sane and kept me from hurting myself. Was flat broke, no job, living off unemployment with my parents, my sister, and her boyfriend. 50% of my day was spent alternating between looking for jobs and hating myself. Wondering if I would ever amount to anything.

I literally lost myself in Skyrim. Can't count how many nights I spent glued to the computer. It was one of only a handful of things that legitimately brought me joy in what was one of the darkest periods of my life.

This year I cleared 50k and am up for a promotion very soon. I still haven't replayed Skyrim out of fear it'll bring back memories of that painful period. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your success. I'm glad that skyrim brought you a little reprieve when you needed it. Phone Post 3.0

in. noticed lately I've been down and the drinking has gone from weekends only to add Thurs, then it went to wed, now it includes Sunday. the only days I'm not hitting the bottle is on Mondays and Tuesdays to recover. did alot of thinking and i drink to escape from my stress of missing my ex gf and family back home and put of boredom. (relocated to another state due to my job)

just switched from drinking to gta5 on the xb1 and fuck me it's Hella great. not only that, like everyone else says, it helps me escape even if just for a couple of hours. Phone Post 3.0

Bry Bry -
SwedishShooto - I should clarify that I'm not talking about playing an hour a day after work like some of you guys talked about. I tend to get obsessed if I do start playing :P Phone Post 3.0

i know quite a few people like you..they will turn their system on right after work and play until they go to sleep..i play maybe 1-2 hours a night but back a few years when COD4 was the craze, id put some hours in...

when i game too much, i feel like im wasting my time and shoul dbe doing something else and i should be...i honestly dont think any grown man should sit and play videogames for 3-4 hours atraight yet i know plenty that do..
I can't agree more. After moving back from the U.S. I hit the wall with depression and hated it here, couldn't get hired and knew nobody back in Sweden. I went to gaming 8 hours a day and the whole time I'd sit there and go "I'm 30 and all I do is play video games" and it just made the depression worse which is what I meant by that it can both help and make things worse. I snapped out of it after a while but it's still hard for me to play any game casually, it's obsessive or nothing :P Phone Post 3.0