Gaming and depression. Anyone else?

I guess part of it would depend on the games. I only play things I can walk away from because I am usually up and around the house or petting whatever dog is begging at the time. I can definitely see where something like an MMO would make depression worse. I play things like GTA, CoD, Battlefield and Mario Kart. I play a lot of hours but that's mostly because I don't really watch tv and in Texas it is too hot int he summer and too cold in the winter to be outside much. My depression is very minor. It is usually gone in a day. I've know clinically depressed people and I feel their pain. Their never goes away. For my situation gaming helps, but I can definitely see it making depression worse for some. Especially those who don't have regular interactions with people at work or even on their free time. I've known people who pretty much just exist online. You try to get them out to do something and there is always a reason they can't.

yea, its very easy to get addicted to a game and start neglecting other more important things in life. For instance, during college I started playing WOW with some friends and it was really fun, but my grades definitely suffered a bit. I wouldn't play any other games and would just start playing wow right after class most days.

I realized that's not something I want to be addicted to. After I quit wow I realized all the great games I didn't get a chance to play that had come out, the difference was I would play for an hour and then stop, unlike WOW which basically required at least several hours daily to keep up with everyone else playing.

Now I tend to stick to games I can play for 15 minutes up to a couple of hours, but can put down at a moments notice. I have too many other interests in life to let a single game consume so much of my time.

I play hearthstone and just got a Wii U a couple weeks ago. Hearhstone is great because a game takes 10 to 15 minutes and is still really fun. Mario Kart and Smash Bros a so fun, but you can play a few games and then stop to do something else. I found that being able to balance my time is very important because otherwise I procrastinate with actually important things and play addicting games instead.

Playing Dayz with my oldest friend is the only thing keeping my shit together right now.

Also good to mention you play with RL friends. I do as well so that is a boon to some of my happiness from gaming. We are too far apart and too involved with family life to play together like the old days, but modern consoles and the internet make it like we are in the same room. The only downside is I can't use my patented controller slap technique

My big brother always used to go through bouts of depression, you could tell when it was getting worse cause the amount of gaming he did would increase hugely but it always felt like it was actually keeping him sane not making him worse.

He has ADHD and it always helped with that too. In a way it was like he escaped his own life by becoming the character in the game. He would only play games like Skyrim and Fallout where you played a role but also had the ability to make the character look exactly how you wanted him to. He was obsessive with starting again too, as if any sort of blemish on his save required him to start again and make this new one even better than the last.

Rambling now and this thread is old so probably ranting to nobody but yeah... Gaming and depression. Phone Post 3.0

Nah this topic is still on my mind somewhat.

Being old enough to remember getting depressed before gaming was available as an option, I remember I used to go and hit a squash ball around a court by myself. Just getting the brain focussed on something other than a destructive cycle of thoughts can help I think. Trouble with computer gaming is that you then can get lost in an imaginary gameworld longer than is really healthy, whereas hitting a squash ball around I had to stop when I got tired.

hmm sorry also rambling somewhat and still undecided as to how helpful gaming really is in fighting depression.

I think it can probably help for some people, or for others maybe actually cause depression.

I can see if someone is depressed in real life, being able to escape those feelings for a while in a video game. The only issue is that once you stop playing, the depression is there and you still have to deal with it.

The issue where they can cause depression would probably have to do with people who get addicted to a game and spend an unhealthy amount of time playing, thus neglecting responsibilities in actual life to play instead. It might be fine at first, but after a few months of neglecting things you need to be doing, you may get depressed by the state of your current now neglected life and just continue playing games to escape the new reality you created for yourself, sort of creating a cycle.

In the end, I think it comes down to playing in moderation, much like any other activity in life. You can over do anything, diet, exercise, playing the piano, work. Its all about finding a balance that you can handle. I've personally loved video games since I was about 4 years old and have been able to maintain a pretty good balance for most of my life. Every now and then I'll get a bit to consumed in a game and maybe back off playing at all for a few weeks.

You just have to be semi-objective and honest with yourself about how much they may be getting in the way of other things, and adjust your behavior accordingly. If you can't do that, you may get into trouble, but that goes for almost anything in life.

For me I know it is just interaction with friends. Gaming is how we do that nowadays since none of us live int he same town anymore and we have families. In times before we would just get together and play darts or horse for drinks. When I mention gaming helps me I mean playing games with my friends helps. I can definitely see how it could worsen depression for people playing single player or with strangers.

Hmm yeah definitely see how social multiplayer gaming could help. Less likely to get sucked in and play too much (unless off course all your friends are unhealthy addicts)

Whenever I get in with my head issues only TV or movies help. I just don't have the motivation to even play games Phone Post 3.0

They already say sports help don't they? Phone Post 3.0

Good thread, voted up OP

fahker - They already say sports help don't they? Phone Post 3.0

Golf was always a good one for me as well. BJJ class was the best by far. Both just take such a tremendous amount of focus to do well. Playing online with LittleKang used to help but he betrayed me and got a XBox One instead of a PS4. You just can't trust Canadians man.

Golf was also infuriating at times lol

Big Pun -
fahker - They already say sports help don't they? Phone Post 3.0

Golf was always a good one for me as well. BJJ class was the best by far. Both just take such a tremendous amount of focus to do well. Playing online with LittleKang used to help but he betrayed me and got a XBox One instead of a PS4. You just can't trust Canadians man.
Juedo isn't complaining lol Phone Post 3.0

Well he has stopped talking to me again so I wouldn't know lol

Big Pun - Well he has stopped talking to me again so I wouldn't know lol
Get back on xbox abs we can have a pow wow Phone Post 3.0

BJJ can help I have found... but not always. Sometimes getting really physically tired can backfire. Also training when when your head is just not in quite the right zone can be risky injury wise and certainly annoying to your training partners.

Again this issue is complicated I think.

and no two people would be the same.