Gary Tonon vs Miyao Bros

So apparently Gary Tonon has challenged the Miyao Bros to a no time limit sub only match for $1000 vs the $1000 that Paulo just won last weekend at Jiu-Jitsu Battle 3.

Gary felt he beat Joao and wants to settle this way. He's been posting on facebook and I think the Miyao bros have accepted.

No venue has been set yet, should be interesting.

oooo he mad

Sounds like a marketing ploy that both he, and the Miyaos, are in cahoots on: part of the continuing Limp Irvin-ification of BJJ.

The Miyaos see this as easy money. They're already incredibly famous in BJJ, more so than most black belt world champs.

It's difficult to say if Tonon could submit Joao, Paulo is the best brown belt in the world and he has to submit both.

Honestly this is nearly an impossible feat for Garry.

good for him. kid has big balls for attempting this. i like it Phone Post 3.0

Gets his name out there.

Smart move for Gary. He probably is going to get a sponsor to put up his $1000 and in exchange he gets two matches against two of the biggest brown belts out there. Phone Post 3.0

He's going to fight them both at the same time??? Awesome! Phone Post

Not an impossible task. Difficult, but not impossible.

If you watch the JJB match, there is no real indication that Gary was outmatched.

They're going to berimbolo both sides at once and split him in half.

Then they'll blankly stare at the crowd and mutter "are you not entertained?" Phone Post 3.0

GrahamJ - Sounds like a marketing ploy that both he, and the Miyaos, are in cahoots on: part of the continuing Limp Irvin-ification of BJJ.

I don't agree with this. Just sounds like a rivalry in the making to me. Who are they marketing to? Most should know who the Miyao's are so if this is a marketing opportunity for Gary I don't think it's in association with the Miyao's.

shortyjj - Not an impossible task. Difficult, but not impossible.

If you watch the JJB match, there is no real indication that Gary was outmatched.
Although Joao vs. Garry was very close; and both are top brown belts I feel Paulo is just a step above them.

IF Garry can get by Joao(no easy task); I don't see him subbing Paulo especially 15 minutes after a potential war with Joao...

Either way ill tune it to check it out Phone Post 3.0

odennis - 
GrahamJ - Sounds like a marketing ploy that both he, and the Miyaos, are in cahoots on: part of the continuing Limp Irvin-ification of BJJ.

I don't agree with this. Just sounds like a rivalry in the making to me. Who are they marketing to? Most should know who the Miyao's are so if this is a marketing opportunity for Gary I don't think it's in association with the Miyao's.

They're marketing to the people who bought the Jiu Jitsu Battle stream.
You can never get too much publicity/money in BJJ: i'm sure any extra money will be very much appreciated by the Miyaos, as it'll help pay their travel, and competition, costs.

Link to the Jiu Jitsu battle Gary vs Joao

This is the only fight those cheap bastards at BudoVideos have put on YouTube, thus far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0P1trtwxs

GrahamJ - This is the only fight those cheap bastards at BudoVideos have put on YouTube, thus far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0P1trtwxs

Really?...the WHOLE TOURNAMENT is available on BudoVideos for $5

I know: I was being facetious.

Mad respect to Gary for his willingness to step up and challenge the Miyaos. However, in the scenario he presented for the proposed wager, it seems like the odds are heavily stacked against him.

It's one thing to challenge the kid.

But for 1000 dollars?

The Miyao's are dirt poor, living in the gym.

They need the cash more. Methinks.