Gastric Bypass Surgery AMA

Over 4 years ago.

Were you required to exhaust all natural methods (diet and exercise) first?

tenchu - Were you required to exhaust all natural methods (diet and exercise) first?

In a manner of speaking. I had to prove that I had attempted to lose weight through diet and exercise in Earnest. 

I was also required to lose 5% of my body weightf, on my own,  before being approved. 

I see you are a green namer, were you King Kong Bundy shaped for your fights? Phone Post

beerbelly - 

I see you are a green namer, were you King Kong Bundy shaped for your fights? Phone Post

Before, Probably around 425 here. 

Costs? Phone Post

AFTER, weighed about 275 here. Not the best pics, but I can't find any of my before and after pics

The Green Arrow - 

Costs? Phone Post

After paying the 1500 dollar deductible my insurance covered the rest. Roughly 50K fo the surgery. And another 15K for the LifeFlight back to a hospital 2 weeks post op, not to mention 4 days in ICU, and another week in recovery. 

My insurance really came through. 

Worth it? Phone Post

Did you have a lot of vomiting post op? do you vomit on a regular basis? If so What foods make you vomit? do you have regular bowel movements? Any other conditions come along since the surgery? Phone Post

Good for you! Phone Post 3.0

Hey guys, lot's of great questions and comments. I would like to answer them right now, but they will take a bit of time/thought, and I need to go to bed. Look on here tomorrow and i will answer them. 

I have two friends that have done it. One of them got cancer a year later at 35 years of age, the other one cant work no more because hes losing mobility in his arms and got hep b. My wife has a childhood friend that did the surgery and she regrets it every day. Every time she eats she has to lay down for 30 minutes afterwards because she gets crazy stomache aches. Crazy stuff. Phone Post

Great that this procedure has worked for you TACKLE but would like to know your mindset over dieting. 'Fat' people often get hammered on this site, mainly for being lazy and lacking willpower, which you may put your hand up in agreeing with. What I don't understand is that you hear many people who say they have tried everything but can't lose weight and go for the banding option.

My understanding is the banding restricts the volume of food you can eat so why is it that you didn't just control the volume of food that you ate prior to the surgery? I'm not saying this in being critical at you as whilst I have never been fat there are times that I have eaten far too much shit food and just not felt good so had to cut down on the chocolates and cakes (which I love and often crave).

I actually have a friend whose 13 year old daughter has recently had the procedure but she is still hiding chocolate bars and chips in her bedroom and secretly eating them away from her parents. I suppose my point is that it seems the banding does not identify the true reason as to why people overeat and unless these issues are addressed then the chance of the weight coming back on are increased.

I'm glad you found something that works for you. Keep taking care of yourself bro. Phone Post

Good for you. You look lean and mean in the "after" picture.

The husband of my wife's friend had it done and the poor bastard died from complications a day later. Left behind three young kids. I don't know this to be true, but have heard/read that relative to other elective surgeries, gastric bypass is very risky.

Blue Duck - Good for you. You look lean and mean in the "after" picture.

The husband of my wife's friend had it done and the poor bastard died from complications a day later. Left behind three young kids. I don't know this to be true, but have heard/read that relative to other elective surgeries, gastric bypass is very risky.
Shit that's brutal. How sad!! Phone Post 3.0

Looks like its working. Good for you. Phone Post 3.0

ttt for answers