Gastric Bypass Surgery AMA

Sub for info.

In. Diet and exercise like crazy. This has been in the back of my mind. Heavily invested in dieting right now though. Bjj 4 nights a week and Atkins. Phone Post

In Phone Post 3.0

The Fella - Do you still have the band in?

I know a lady who had her procedure done 3 years ago, went in last week for a simple 45 minute procedure to remove the band ...the doctor on his first cut missed and nicked an artery....she ended up bleeding to death and died right there on the table. 48 years old ...

Left behind a 12 year old daughter and husband and many loved ones.

What's your thoughts on the procedure TACKLE - was it worth it, did you lose a lot of weight? Has it helped you regain your confidence?

Would you recommend others do it?

I didn't do the gastric band, I did a full Gastric RNY Bypass. My stomach, or what is left of it, is about the size of an egg now. 

It was worth it for me, it saved, or at least extended, my life. I did however come close to dying 2 weeks post surgery. I developed a bleed on the inside of my stomach, lost a TON of blood. I had to be airlifted to a major regional hospital, spent 4 days in ICU, it was a close thing.

The only reason I am still here to tell you about it is because the bleed was on the inside of my stomach and not the outside. Had it been on the outside I would have developed symptoms too late to make a differenece. It was however on the inside of my stomach and it is a bit hard to ignore bloody vomit.

I don't recommend the surgery to others, as in I do not want to convince anyone. When I had the surgery it had a national mortality rate of 2%. 1 in 50 patients died withing one month of having the surgery. This is obviously a huge risk. It was worth it for me, I am sure I would be on my way to the grave, if not already there, had I not undergone the procedure. 

NorthernHospitality - 

Did you have a lot of vomiting post op? do you vomit on a regular basis? If so What foods make you vomit? do you have regular bowel movements? Any other conditions come along since the surgery? Phone Post

I don't Vomit much, I never had much of a gag reflex. I do hurl avacado sometimes, which is a shame because it's a great food and I love the taste. For me vomiting only comes if I eat too much, which doesn't happen often. There is nothing regular about my bowel movement life post-op, especially after having my gall bladder removed (caused by the gastric bypass surgery). I go from constipated to diarrhea to normal on a weekly basis. Docs don't know what to say.

The Green Arrow - 

Worth it? Phone Post

For me, yes, very much. Even if it doesn't extend my life a single day. My quality of life is so much better now. 

shatefak - 

I have two friends that have done it. One of them got cancer a year later at 35 years of age, the other one cant work no more because hes losing mobility in his arms and got hep b. My wife has a childhood friend that did the surgery and she regrets it every day. Every time she eats she has to lay down for 30 minutes afterwards because she gets crazy stomache aches. Crazy stuff. Phone Post

There does seem to be an increase in cancer rates post surgery. I don't know why. 

I do know that It would have been a miracle if I would have lived past 45 if I chose not to have the surgery, so it was worth the risk for me. 

kosmo777 - 

Great that this procedure has worked for you TACKLE but would like to know your mindset over dieting. 'Fat' people often get hammered on this site, mainly for being lazy and lacking willpower, which you may put your hand up in agreeing with. What I don't understand is that you hear many people who say they have tried everything but can't lose weight and go for the banding option.

My understanding is the banding restricts the volume of food you can eat so why is it that you didn't just control the volume of food that you ate prior to the surgery? I'm not saying this in being critical at you as whilst I have never been fat there are times that I have eaten far too much shit food and just not felt good so had to cut down on the chocolates and cakes (which I love and often crave).

I actually have a friend whose 13 year old daughter has recently had the procedure but she is still hiding chocolate bars and chips in her bedroom and secretly eating them away from her parents. I suppose my point is that it seems the banding does not identify the true reason as to why people overeat and unless these issues are addressed then the chance of the weight coming back on are increased.

I can't speak to Gastric Banding since I didn't have that procedure. My procedure was RNY Gastric Bypass, which is MUCH more invasive. 

I chose it because of the issues that were causing my weight and the permanency of the procedure. 

I was big because I ate too much. I ate too much because of a raging addiction to food. I thought about eating from sun up to bedtime. I even dreamt about eating. I was going to eat my self to death. 

I used to drive home from work, which was a 70 mile commute, and eat twice before I got home. I would stop at BK, order a triple whopper, a large fry, a xl dring, and a whopper jr. 

20 miles later I would stop at subway for  a foot long. When I would get home I would of course eat dinner so my wife wouldn't know I had stopped on the way home. 

I look back and am saddened by who I was.

I wasn't lazy, my job allowed my to train 4-5 hours a day. I was a power lifter, fighter, grappler. I worked out like a maniac. I just couldn't stop eating. 

Gastric Bypass is a tool. I get full much quicker now. I get sick if I eat sugar, greasy food, or my wife's cooking. 

I could break this tool and force my way back to fatness, some people do this. But I don't see it happening. I know have a leash on my hunger, which I didn't have before.

I hope this answers all the questions asked so far. 

Feel free to ask more. Nothing is Taboo in regards to this. If I can help one person lose weight...

Tackle, your recent posts have been very inspiring!
Thank you, truly. Phone Post 3.0

TACKLE - 
tenchu - Were you required to exhaust all natural methods (diet and exercise) first?

In a manner of speaking. I had to prove that I had attempted to lose weight through diet and exercise in Earnest. 

I was also required to lose 5% of my body weightf, on my own,  before being approved.

How difficult was it and how long did it take you to lose that 5% (21lbs?) and did losing that convince you at all that you could lose the weight without the surgery?

NomoRomophobia - Tackle, your recent posts have been very inspiring!

This x1000.

I look at what you posted and it sounds similar to the issues I've been fighting. There were two stretches where I worked about 75 miles from home and would pretty routinely eat on the drive home, then eat dinner just to hide the fact that I had already eaten one meal. I've never gotten to 300 pounds but I still feel sometimes like I'm on an endless cycle. I'm not going to lie, surgery sometimes feels like my only way out.

Ansari - 
TACKLE - 
tenchu - Were you required to exhaust all natural methods (diet and exercise) first?

In a manner of speaking. I had to prove that I had attempted to lose weight through diet and exercise in Earnest. 

I was also required to lose 5% of my body weightf, on my own,  before being approved.

How difficult was it and how long did it take you to lose that 5% (21lbs?) and did losing that convince you at all that you could lose the weight without the surgery?

No, losing weight, a lot of weight, was simple. I could just never keep it off. I dropped from 425 to 362 for a fight in a couple of months. 

Like I said before, I was a raging food addict. Maybe if I had treated it like an addiciton I could have overcome it without surgery, though I think serious drug addiction has a 90% recidivism rate after treatment. 

The surgery gave me some tools and time to change who I was, my habits, my values on eating. I didn't have any hunger for nearly a year post-op. I do get hungry now, though I am finally able to understand the difference between actual hunger and a desire to eat. 

It may also help to note what I believe to be the root cause of my eating addiction. 

We grew up very poor, at least by American standards. We moved dozens of times, we rarely had anything other than Top Ramen in the house after the first week of the month. We children would have starved to death had it not been for school lunch and summer lunch in the park (Weekends sucked by the way). 

I grew up thinking that if food was available I should eat as much as possible, because I often didn't know when my next meal would be. For some reason this got worse when I managed to escape the cycle of poverty. 

iulawmatt - 
NomoRomophobia - Tackle, your recent posts have been very inspiring!

This x1000.

I look at what you posted and it sounds similar to the issues I've been fighting. There were two stretches where I worked about 75 miles from home and would pretty routinely eat on the drive home, then eat dinner just to hide the fact that I had already eaten one meal. I've never gotten to 300 pounds but I still feel sometimes like I'm on an endless cycle. I'm not going to lie, surgery sometimes feels like my only way out.

The fact that you are quite a bit smaller than I was I would look into Gastric Banding. It is less invasive, less dangerous, and much cheaper. 

Just remember, it is only a tool. You really have to want to change, badly. And you have to be willing to deal with the pain that the change will cause. 

There is a quote painted on the athletic hall of the High School I work at, it goes something like this. 

"Most people have the desire to suceed, few have the desire to prepare."

I had to accept I had a serious problem, accept that I wasn't a horrible person for failing no my own, and be willing to immerse myself into something that was scary, dangerous, and life altering. I hope this helps.

Good job bro Phone Post 3.0

TACKLE - 
kosmo777 - 

Great that this procedure has worked for you TACKLE but would like to know your mindset over dieting. 'Fat' people often get hammered on this site, mainly for being lazy and lacking willpower, which you may put your hand up in agreeing with. What I don't understand is that you hear many people who say they have tried everything but can't lose weight and go for the banding option.

My understanding is the banding restricts the volume of food you can eat so why is it that you didn't just control the volume of food that you ate prior to the surgery? I'm not saying this in being critical at you as whilst I have never been fat there are times that I have eaten far too much shit food and just not felt good so had to cut down on the chocolates and cakes (which I love and often crave).

I actually have a friend whose 13 year old daughter has recently had the procedure but she is still hiding chocolate bars and chips in her bedroom and secretly eating them away from her parents. I suppose my point is that it seems the banding does not identify the true reason as to why people overeat and unless these issues are addressed then the chance of the weight coming back on are increased.

I can't speak to Gastric Banding since I didn't have that procedure. My procedure was RNY Gastric Bypass, which is MUCH more invasive. 

I chose it because of the issues that were causing my weight and the permanency of the procedure. 

I was big because I ate too much. I ate too much because of a raging addiction to food. I thought about eating from sun up to bedtime. I even dreamt about eating. I was going to eat my self to death. 

I used to drive home from work, which was a 70 mile commute, and eat twice before I got home. I would stop at BK, order a triple whopper, a large fry, a xl dring, and a whopper jr. 

20 miles later I would stop at subway for  a foot long. When I would get home I would of course eat dinner so my wife wouldn't know I had stopped on the way home. 

I look back and am saddened by who I was.

I wasn't lazy, my job allowed my to train 4-5 hours a day. I was a power lifter, fighter, grappler. I worked out like a maniac. I just couldn't stop eating. 

Gastric Bypass is a tool. I get full much quicker now. I get sick if I eat sugar, greasy food, or my wife's cooking. 

I could break this tool and force my way back to fatness, some people do this. But I don't see it happening. I know have a leash on my hunger, which I didn't have before.

I hope this answers all the questions asked so far. 

Feel free to ask more. Nothing is Taboo in regards to this. If I can help one person lose weight...

Voted up for being so honest.

Best of luck.

Hope you keep the weight off and stay healthy.

Thanks for coming back to the thread. Phone Post

Ch1ef - 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. Phone Post

Went camping with the family, was supposed to have wifi access and I didn't. Sorry it took so long.

Mihow - this is a scary thread on so many levels

not being a dick to you, that's just how I feel

on a side note, where'd ya camp? I love camping!

We went to Fort Spokane State Park. It's an OK place, it was a large family get together so we met in a central location. We do all sorts of camping, from basic car-camping to back packing. 

Where do you camp?

They make your stomach smaller, right? What do they do with the extra space inside of you? Can they use it to make your bladder bigger? I drink a ton of water and I'd love to only have to piss once a day