Gear of WW1 Soldiers From 5 Different Nations

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/world-war-one-soldiers-loadouts/

Can anyone identify what type of rifles they're carrying? 

Eggbert - Interesting that the US is the only one not showing a gas mask

The US was very late to the war and while they were welcomed for their numbers they were very poorly equipped.

Their Springfield rifle was one of the few areas that they were up to date, if not ahead of other armies, but they had little to no knowledge/use of tanks and machine guns and for the most part the other armies outfitted the US soldiers with needed gear.

I don't think a single US made tank, which was made off a french design, even got to the war because it was over by then. They used French and British tanks and had to learn on them and what was given to them.

Example - US inventor Isaac Lewis offered the USA his machine gun for free and they declined so he sold it to the Brits and Belgium who mass produced it while the USA went with a french one which was pretty crappy.

The Americans didn't have gas masks issued because they were picked up or given to them when they got there. However, the USA did get really involved in chemical warfare in the research aspect.

If the war had gone on they probably would have started to get masks and tanks and better machine guns etc. It just ended too soon and the US was late to the party. Hence why they were called "doughboys." (They needed heat to rise to the occasion)

As far as airplanes went, the US basically used what planes the Brits and French were not using. The US, despite being ahead in the technology couldn't get it there and had problems mass producing it to begin with.

They US were great for their navy which shored up the devastated fleets of other nations.

The US shined in their numbers and enthusiasm though. Which was bitterly needed. Everyone was happy to have them and they learned fast on foreign gear and again, had enthusiasm and were fresh.

Subbed for later when I have more data available to me

Apparently, we (US) also brought a horrible strain of the flu to the war? I watched a documentary the other night about how 1000's were dying per day from it. Interesting stuff...I know very little about WW1.

SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - Apparently, we (US) also brought a horrible strain of the flu to the war? I watched a documentary the other night about how 1000's were dying per day from it. Interesting stuff...I know very little about WW1.

Check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: Blueprint for Armageddon podcast series.

The mace in the British kit is a grim little piece.

OnCall - 
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - Apparently, we (US) also brought a horrible strain of the flu to the war? I watched a documentary the other night about how 1000's were dying per day from it. Interesting stuff...I know very little about WW1.

Check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: Blueprint for Armageddon podcast series.

fucking so much this

best podcast ever produced by far

it will change you

I still get goosebumps when I see the word Verdun  

Have family on both sides that were in the war and a couple cool pics of great grandpa and his brother in their uniforms and  an Argonne forest medal from one of them. 

His brother was killed by mustard gas apparently 

ptper - The mace in the British kit is a grim little piece.

Is that a shovel handle next to the mace?

Super cool

Koga - 

Looks like it doubles as a shovel handle or the thing you hit a guy with when want to fuck him up, but not mace fuck him up.

ptper -
Koga - 

Looks like it doubles as a shovel handle or the thing you hit a guy with when want to fuck him up, but not mace fuck him up.

It’s the entrenching tool handle. 

The mace was known as a “trench club” by the troops.