Gegard Mousasi is overrated

would be such an ignorant statement to make.

I think he's highly underrated. 

He went 9-3 in UFC, leaving on a 4 fight finish win streak including two former champions and avenging 1 of his 3 losses.

He's fought from MW to Hw

He has wins over-

Hector Lombard

Evangelista Santos(Cyborg)

Denis Kang

Melvin Manhoff

Jacare Souza

Mark Hunt

Renato Sobral

Rameau Sokoudjou

Gary Goodridge

Ovince St Preux

Mark Munoz

Dan Henderson

Thales Leites

Thiago Santos

Vitor Belfort

Uriah Hall

Chris Weidman

Alexander Shlemenko

Rory MacDonald

Lyoto Machida

Douglas Lima

He's beaten 3 of the 7 guys he's lost to, and he's never rematched the other 4 he's lost to.

He's beaten 6 champions, 7 if you include Dan Henderson's belts in UFC and Pride.

He's fought 3X or more in one year 9 times

7X 2005

6X 2006

6x 2008

He has over 50 mma fights and counting, and he's only 35 right now.

He's a true bad ass

15 Likes

Totally is a bad ass and would have liked to see him continue in the UFC. Dude is awesome. 

1 Like

Despite having over 50 mma fights, Gegard currently has an 81% finish ratio!!!

To put that into perspective...(Listing current division champs and all time division champs for reference)

Stipe Miocic=75%

Fedor Emelianenko=76%

Jon Jones=61%

Chuck Liddell=76%

Israel Adesanya=75%

Anderson Silva=77%

Kamaru Usman=47%

Georges St Pierre=54%

Khabib Nurmagomedov=66%

BJ Penn=82% (Way fewer fights however also fought in several weight clas$es

Alexander Vokanovski=64%

Jose Aldo=65%

Conor McGregor=91% (FML that's hellishly good)

Petr Yan=54%

Demetrious Johnson=57%

Henry Cejudo=50%

That`s a hell of a resume.

Who said that he`s overrated?

2 Likes

Kinda strange career the way he's moved around so much. Dude is a stud. Should've lost to Schlemenko though imho. 

Floppy Divac - 

Kinda strange career the way he's moved around so much. Dude is a stud. Should've lost to Schlemenko though imho. 

Should've won against Lyoto in the first fight.  It evens out.

Impressive list, should fight chimaev next

I think he matches up well to Izzy

BringBackHeadbutts -
Floppy Divac - 

Should've won against Lyoto in the first fight.  It evens out.

The shame of losing to Schlemenko is far worse than losing to that version of Machida, imo. 

Loved to watch him fight before his UFC days, enjoyed his UFC run, unfortunately haven't followed much of his career post UFC but imagine he's still one of the top guys great resume overall.

Love moose!

Hope he fight for LHW belt then fights Bader for HW belt!

He was a solid contender his entire career but was never close to a unanimous #1 at any point and he was treated as a bit of an uncrowned champ by a lot of fanaboys for a few years. In that way he was overrated. Definitely a great fighter. 

He like fedor and anyone making waves who who wasn’t an American wrestler or Brazilian guy really appealed to the weeb-leaning fanboys who didn’t have any Japanese guys to get behind anymore. 

1 Like

The older I get and more seasoned in watching mma, the less I care about champ status.  Champions seem to try to hold the belt as long as they can while fighting the least amount of times. 

I think UFC should do away with belts but instead do a seasonal belt where the season is 1 year long, so mma is always ongoing as it has been, but early January you crown the previous year's best fighters for the division as that year's divisional champion.  

This way, to be a continous divisional champion, you have to continue to fight and win as often as the previous year to maintain top status.  This way if Kamaru Usman was to fight 2 times in 2021, he woudn't be champion even if he wins.  Someone who goes 4-0 with 4 finishes would be the champion for that year, rightfully so.

why did the ufc let him go?

kungfugrip - why did the ufc let him go?

He left as a free agent iirc.

He went to whoever was going to pay him the most for his worth.

Awesome post, I saw the headline and was all "WAAAAAAH." Then read the content and was all happy.

Kirik - 

Awesome post, I saw the headline and was all "WAAAAAAH." Then read the content and was all happy.

I'm learning from rdotc who is really good at misleading thread titles so I'm starting to get good at fooling people with my real intentions :)

also has a win in k-1

He’s had an awesome career and is very skilled. Don’t let his losses and relaxed style fool you. Gegard is a stud.

1 Like

Got me.

Also, take a draw & a loss off his record & put them in the win column cuz he definitely beat Jardine, & King Mo off his back.

I’d put an asterisk my Macheater too.