Gene Lebell vs Bruce Lee Judo Fight

How would it play out?

Ok I know all you hardcore JKD guys have already seen this, but I had never seen it until today, so maybe not everyone has. (I was looking for Ironside on youtube, I'm a Raymond Burr fan).

Just my 2 cents, I know Gene is a badass and in a grappling fight he'd have a good chance, but in a real street encounter, I think Bruce might have too much speed for Gene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTOlO8kG-w

Bruce Lee was a true martial artist... To say he has no grappling experience would be ignorant.

However, Gene has an amazing judo background and I think that he wouldn't have a problem taking down Bruce Lee and submitting him.

My $.02 Phone Post

Just lol

The Rock vs Cain in MMA, who takes it? Phone Post

Rafael135 - Bruce Lee was a true martial artist... To say he has no grappling experience would be ignorant.

However, Gene has an amazing judo background and I think that he wouldn't have a problem taking down Bruce Lee and submitting him.

My $.02 Phone Post

This Phone Post

MysteriousNinjaFromMars - My money would be on gene by being a bigger better grappler.

On the mats or the streets by the way. Imagine being tossed on your head onto hard ground, you would be completely fucked.

this.

If you are talking Judo fight of course Gene wins...If you are talking street fight Gena also wins.

cheesesteak - If you are talking Judo fight of course Gene wins...If you are talking street fight Gena also wins.

LMFAO cheese. Bruce fought in many real fights and would not even be touched IMO.

I feel like it's 1993 all over again..... a much smaller striker vs a larger grappler and people think the striker will dance around and the grappler has no chance..... weight, didn't that happen but in reverse? The little grappler beating the bigger strikers?

Gene Lebell is the guy who taught Bruce Lee the grappling he knew..... Lee was nowhere near as good as Lebell in standing grappling or on the ground.

Dig around and find the story of Lebell and Lee meeting and how they became friends. Lee wanted to fight Lebell, Lebell picked him up and started running laps with him in a firemans carry. Lee yells "put me down and I'll kill you!" Lebell replies "I can't put you down, you'll kill me!" Apparently then Lee couldn't hit Lebell....

Lebell was a national judo champ. Said he weighed about 160lbs, but won the heavyweight championships. Guy had legit skills.

There was a thread on here a few years ago where someone posted a bunch of vids of Bruce Lee training during the "golden age" in CA. They were pretty sad.

The Bruce Lee Fanboyism is still strong.....

keseki - How would it play out?

Ok I know all you hardcore JKD guys have already seen this, but I had never seen it until today, so maybe not everyone has. (I was looking for Ironside on youtube, I'm a Raymond Burr fan).

Just my 2 cents, I know Gene is a badass and in a grappling fight he'd have a good chance, but in a real street encounter, I think Bruce might have too much speed for Gene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTOlO8kG-w

LOL I didn't read the whole post and just clicked on the link.  Was a bit let down when I saw what the video was. I was gonna whine and bust balls becuase video wasn't a real fight...then I re-read the OP and realized I was a dink.

My .02 based off watching the video was that a yound Gene Lebel was much bigger than Bruce Lee...I think Gene might take it both in Judo and a Street fight.  Just becuase they are both so bad ass, but then size would be the determining factor, IMO.

Rafael135 - 

Bruce Lee was a true martial artist... To say he has no grappling experience would be ignorant.

My $.02 Phone Post

Uh, BL had no grappling experience. None. He read about it in books, he played around with Gene Lebell. He never entered a judo tournament, he never rolled with anyone. If you look at his top 'grappling guy', Larry Hartsell, it's clear that Larry is doing JJJ, or pre-arranged grappling.

So, it wouldn't be ignorant, it would be accurate.

Remco Pardo vs Orlando Weit maybe?

FinestScotch - 

You might be able to attempt an argument for a NHB match, but Judo?

The guys name is "Judo" Gene Lebell, and it's not one of those ironic names.

LOL, this!!!

Hmmmm, I wonder if Judo gene could win a judo match against a guy who didn't know any judo til he met Gene......

Skpotamus - I feel like it's 1993 all over again..... a much smaller striker vs a larger grappler and people think the striker will dance around and the grappler has no chance..... weight, didn't that happen but in reverse? The little grappler beating the bigger strikers?

Gene Lebell is the guy who taught Bruce Lee the grappling he knew..... Lee was nowhere near as good as Lebell in standing grappling or on the ground.

Dig around and find the story of Lebell and Lee meeting and how they became friends. Lee wanted to fight Lebell, Lebell picked him up and started running laps with him in a firemans carry. Lee yells "put me down and I'll kill you!" Lebell replies "I can't put you down, you'll kill me!" Apparently then Lee couldn't hit Lebell....

Lebell was a national judo champ. Said he weighed about 160lbs, but won the heavyweight championships. Guy had legit skills.

There was a thread on here a few years ago where someone posted a bunch of vids of Bruce Lee training during the "golden age" in CA. They were pretty sad.

^ pretty much says it all.

And Bruce may have had some good grappling experience but come on… You guys really believe he would beat Jean in a grappling/judo specific match? Phone Post

PINKsinglet - 

Remco Pardo vs Orlando Weit maybe?

Hmmm......

That poor melon.

I lol when I think about Remco looking at his head wondering if he should nail him again.

haha

Skpotamus - I feel like it's 1993 all over again..... a much smaller striker vs a larger grappler and people think the striker will dance around and the grappler has no chance..... weight, didn't that happen but in reverse? The little grappler beating the bigger strikers?

/thread.

Really read this, think about it and ask again how this would go.

Subbed for later

I suspect Gene at his prime was closer to 180 something and was (is) insanely strong. He was one of the best Judoka that the US ever produced. In a judo match? Is that a joke? Even in a "fight" Gene was doing karate, boxing, wrestling, ie MMA back then...

site errors AGAIN... sorry

lately triple posts? hhhmmmmm???

What some of the "experts" don't get is that real judo includes atemi (striking). (As Gene would be the first to educate you).

Everything Bruce did in the clip was 1000% legit judo.

The thread didn't say "Olympic judo".

We don't know how it would have really gone down. Bruce was a pro, and pros don't abuse their stunt people.

Yeah, Gene was good at "sport" judo and pro-wrestling, and knew a little karate, and had some pounds on Bruce.

But let's keep it real.