Generation in the Bible

in the bible the word generation is used many times.....the part that interests me is when it is said that the end of time will happen before this generation has passed...now several times in the bible generation sounds like it is alot longer than our current idea of a generation, like an entire age....from what I have read from some other sources is that the early Christians all thought He meant it would happen in their lifetimes....what are your thoughts??

from what I have read from some other sources is that the early Christians all thought He meant it would happen in their lifetimes....

That kind of thing is very common. People often see end time signs as being apparent in their own lifetime. In part this is because the prophecies are rather ambiguous, and so can be applied to various situations. Hence it makes sense that they would read them into the world around them.

It probably also stems from a subconscious sense of self-importance. A lot of individuals have this desire to see their own time as being especially monumental in some way. That's evident in the manner people throw superlatives around so much. "This is the greatest war/tragedy" etc. They want to feel a sense of epic magnitude about the world around them. This was true in the ancient world as well as today. If you read ancient literature, you see a tendency for writers to magnify the events of their era, and make them seem more crucial than events which occurred before their time.

Preterists will tell you that it did happen in their (the apostles)lifetime with the destruction of the temple in 70A.D.

The greek word (can't remember which one is used)is translated as generation,nation,and something else that I can't remember off of the top of my head either in the Gospels(I think it's in Mark).

The greek word (can't remember which one is used)is translated as generation,nation,and something else that I can't remember off of the top of my head either in the Gospels(I think it's in Mark).

Are you thinking of 'genea'?

Yes IBI,genea.

Does anyone know the Hebrew word? If its Dor (dalet vav resh) then it means generation (as in Genesis 7:1, 9:12, 15:16, Exodus 1:6, 3:15, etc.). I don't know another word that means generation.

It is Dor or Dowr

then is means generation in the same sense as the other passages.

yeah what is the EXACT greek word in the text, and what does it exactly translate to?

As Fadiga mentioned, it has a variety of possible meanings:

Race, family, generation, tribe, nation, offspring, breed, stock, class, kind, birthplace, age, time of life.