Genki Sudo retires

The fight against Jackson Page at K1 Dynamite was his lats professional fight.

Wonder why...

From MMAWEEKLY.com:

" With it's festive New Year's Eve atmosphere, Dynamite provides the perfect vehicle for Japanese fighter Genki Sudo's elaborately choreographed ring entrances. Sudo showed up for his date with American fighter Jackson Page accompanied by a dozen acrobatic dancers in a theatrical treatment, which suffused the animism and astronomy-based Mayan rituals of the first millennium with the contemporary bling of a Las Vegas production number.

When the bout finally started, Page rushed past Sudo's peculiar crab-walk and extended-rump defensive posture and quickly affected a takedown and mount. The wily Sudo however turned this to his advantage, squirming to work his legs round Page's head for a triangle choke and submission.

Somewhat anti-climatically, the fight had ended faster than the ring entrance. But Sudo was not done with the dramatics: In his victory speech, he first thanked the crowd for their support, then abruptly announced he was retiring from the fight game effective immediately. He later explained to reporters that a neck injury suffered earlier this year forced him to rethink his future, and said he now plans to spend some time traveling the world and writing."

Hope he gets his neck fixed and comes back someday that guys one of a kind.

wow, terrible news.Genki is awesome

Genki is one of the most exciting and entertaining fighters ever. I'm going to miss him.

Wow. Great fighter and a great showman. He will be missed.

that's too bad...

Genki= Hero

I'm a big fan of Genki Sudo, I wish him the best.

This reminds me... Are those tshirts with his tattoos on them still available somewhere? Can someone post a link?

'He later explained to reporters that a neck injury suffered earlier this year forced him to rethink his future, and said he now plans to spend some time travelling the world and writing.'

good for him, I'd hate to see him end up like Sakuraba

I miss him already. I would have been happy just watching him fight cans for a few more years. TTT

:(

I couldn't care less.

"I couldn't care less."

And we couldn't care less that you couldn't care less.

Sad to hear he is retiring. But he is still young, we will hear from him one way or another.

My favorite fight is done....I am truly sad to hear this

LOL@ Couldn't care less... what an ass

I could actually see Genki having cross-over potential for movies. He may even be able to bring something new to martial arts flicks. Who knows?