Genki Sudo rolling with Pancrase fighter

Have no interest to see him if his comeback involves fighting kickboxers and 143 lbs fighters while his fans keep ranking him top ten at 155

i think JPN grapplers fall into 3 types.

the sub over position guy.

the clunky Judo based guy.

and

the wrestling guy with rudimentary to completely exotic submissions.

i havent really seen a pure BJJ oriented ground game from any Japanese.

Here's the Brennan/Murahama match.... I swear he looks like one of the old WWF wrestlers at the end. I think it was 2x4 Tim Dugan that used to march around like that.

Genki had a back injury if I remember right. He is one of my favorite to watch, grappling or mma. His political views are a little "different" but the man can fight.

Genki, come Back!!

junon: you wouldn't class Aoki's game as pretty BJJ orientated one?

i think even he has that dive for subs mentality.

"you wouldn't class Aoki's game as pretty BJJ orientated one?"

Judo and AJJ influenced IMO.

I see BJJers "dive" for submissions all the time. Shit, who has the monopoly on flying armbars and triangles? It's not the NCAA Wrestler's that's for sure.

"i havent really seen a pure BJJ oriented ground game from any Japanese. You have ignored this user."

Hironaka. Also Akira Kikuchi, although not a gi BJJ player, has a very "BJJ" mentality to his grappling. Secure takedown, get to superior position, stay tight, submit. Rarely takes any damage. Although he is retired as well :(

I had uploaded all those Ninja Warrior vids with Sudo on Youtube but after a few months, G4 had them removed. I'll do them again without "Ninja Warrior" anywhere in the description.

You could say that Yushin Okami has the pure BJJ mentality as well.

Takedown, methodically pass guard, mount, punches - if that ain't old school bjj thinking, I don't know what is.

I think the reason Genki spun his opent around before going for that leg lock was to get all the blood out of his opponents legs. That's clearly how he got the tap so fast.

Genki has a brownbelt in BJJ and spent a lot of time learning Combat Wrestling from Kiguchi. He also trained in several catch based mma styles and even wrote a book on training traditional karate in Okinawa for striking.

Artful.

ttt

RMACKD - Genki has a brownbelt in BJJ and spent a lot of time learning Combat Wrestling from Kiguchi. He also trained in several catch based mma styles and even wrote a book on training traditional karate in Okinawa for striking.

Well he had a magazine with a pictorial of him in holiday in Okinawa doing some traditional exercises. The magazine had a lot of info from other Okinawan karate instructors as well.

He also wrestled in high school for a few years which is I think why he is so much quicker on the takedowns and faster on the ground (combined with a larger gas tank) than the average submission grappler.

I hope he comes back - don't even care if its to take easy fights against kickboxers. His entrances and 'robot dance to takedown' were always a highlight.

Impressive

i'm gonna try that guard pass/opening next time I roll.

I expect to injure myself.

Awesome clip. Prince playing the background is an added bonus.

Why did he retire anyhow?

I would also like to see him comeback for the simple fact that he never seemed to realize or focus on serious fighting at the last stage of his career. Yeah, he fought Kid and that Heroes tournament but i want to see him fight top 10 guys more often, no more freakshow matches, entertaining as they are or fighting K1 kickboxing guys.

I do think the game has probably passed him by where he may struggle to be a top 10 guy today, the div is just loaded now. He still has a more rounded base that many guys though, i think he would need to sharpen his game and killer instinct up.

1 Like