Genki Sudo vs Tiki - What happened?

I didn't realise that these 2 guys fought their first fight against each other and that Tiki won a decision.

Any one know any more details on the fight?

tiki brought in a painting of genki and got in his head....

Tiki has a win over Genki? Holy cow did Genki have a broken leg going into the fight?

Modified rules iirc.

Genki was trying to keep Tiki from putting his chin on him.

I was there at one of the Genki vs Tiki fights (did they fight more than once?). This was back in the BHJJC days around 1998 or so I think. At the time Genki was always at BHJJC taking classes with everyone Bas, Ruas, etc.

Granted this was almost 12 years ago. At the time, Genki didn't have much striking skills, but was a monster grappler. They were both at 155 I think (because that's what I weighed and Genki and I were about the same size).

I don't think it was too long, but they both exchanged stand up for a short time and Genki shot in for a takedown, got him down and submitted him with a heel hook I think. It was probably less than a 3 minute match.

Maybe there was some controversy because I remember Bas grabbing the mic and speaking to the audience about something.

Now I'm not so sure about it, fuck. Again it was 12 years ago or so.

jman - 
I don't think it was too long, but they both exchanged stand up for a short time and Genki shot in for a takedown, got him down and submitted him with a heel hook I think. It was probably less that 3 minute match.

Thanks for the info - according to sherdog it was a Decision (Unanimous) win for Tiki..

Hmmm.

I remember Genki hitting a heel hook and Tiki tapping, then something happened and it wasn't allowed, then Bas grabbed the mic spoke to the audience, and complained about something, they started over and maybe then it went to a decision?

Shit I turn 40 next year and can't even remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember something like this happnening.

ttt for an answer

jman - Hmmm.

Shit I turn 40 next year and can't even remember what I ate for lunch yesterday.

LOL - i know that feeling..

I'm curious too. Genki is my all time favorite fighter, but this is one fight I have never seen.

TTT for old man moments

I have never heard of this fight... unless I did, 11 years ago or whatever :(

Genki had stank bref.

It's not listed on this site (mma.com), I wonder why?  Was it the modified rules?  Kirik/Chris/etc.?

Mistaken fight record in article from free encyclopedia “Wikipedia”

For reasons as yet unclear, there is mistaken information in Wikipedia (both Japanese and English versions) regarding one of the past fight records of Genki Sudo (against Tiki Ghosn). As for the Japanese edition, our office has tried to correct the error several times, but it seems to be being persistently re-edited. As a result, we would like to clarify the facts here as an official stance.

Fight mistakenly listed on Wikipedia

Event name: Extreme Shoot 2
Place: California, USA
Fight date: 6th June 1998
Opponent: Tiki Ghosn

Outline of the facts

On the website, the fight result is listed as a Genki Sudo loss on judgment. However, in fact it was Genki Sudo’s victory on judgment.

Details of the fight

This fight took place without open fingered gloves, with only open hand hits allowed, and under the three escape system, whereby you are permitted to grab the rope up to three times.

Genki Sudo had Tiki in a Heel Hold twice, and Tiki grabbed the rope and escaped twice. At the close of the game, the referee judged it a draw, but Bas Rutten, Genki Sudo’s corner man, raised an objection. The referee accepted the objection, and corrected his judgement over the microphone after Genki Sudo had left the ring. He officially declared it a victory for Genki Sudo. As a result of this, Genki Sudo obtained the winner’s medal. (Property of Genki Sudo/90mm diameter, 4mm thick)

-from Genki's official site

http://gsides.typepad.com/g_sides/2009/08/sudo-genki.html

^ lol

I bet Tiki keeps changing it back

Thanks for the info...

Holy shit my memory isn't as bad as I thought.

Jesus I even got the year and submission hold right.

Awesome. Bas is the man

jman - Holy shit my memory isn't as bad as I thought.

Jesus I even got the year and submission hold right.

Yippee for us old guys.