Gentle Ben Wants Mas Revenge

3 Likes

2 Likes

Ben Askren is happily retired from MMA but admits there is one fight that would draw him back in.

Askren retired following his submission loss to Demian Maia but then made his pro boxing debut and was knocked out by Jake Paul. After the loss, he confirmed his career would be over as he needed hip surgery and cited his age. However, ‘Funky’ says he would end his retirement and return to fighting to face Jorge Masvidal.
“It’s the only thing that I would come out of retirement for,” Askren said when a fan asked him about how a rematch with Masvidal would go.
Of course, Ben Askren and Jorge Masvidal fought back at UFC 239 in a massive fight for both of their careers. Askren was coming off his UFC debut win over Robbie Lawler while Masvidal was coming off the KO win over Darren Till.

In the lead-up to the fight, Askren had said if he beats Masvidal he would get a welterweight title shot. However, ‘Gamebred’ landed a flying knee in five seconds that KO’d Askren to hand him his first career loss. After the fight, Masvidal beat Nate Diaz to win the BMF belt and then had back-to-back title fights against Kamaru Usman, while also becoming a massive star.

Ever since UFC 239, Askren has made it known he dislikes Masvidal so it shouldn’t be a surprise to see him want that rematch. Although ‘Funky’ is retired, it does make some sense on paper as Masvidal is on a three-fight losing skid and a bout against Askren would be a massive fight for both men and another big payday. However, whether or not the UFC or Masvidal has an interest in making the scrap is uncertain, but Askren at least would be open to it.

2 Likes

Not To Be Confused With Big Ben

4 Likes

damn was coming here expecting Rothwell calling out Mas

I’d watch it.

11 Likes

No my Thrad Title was not misleading

• Cough * :slight_smile:

sarcasm cough :joy:

I would watch.

3 Likes

This needs to happen. Ben is infinitely better than street Judas. That was the luckiest shot in MMA which lead us into a reality where Jorge gets numerous title shots while being mediocre at best.

9 Likes

I can’t stand Masvidal but I think any 2019 version of Mas beats 2019 Askren. I think he’d beat him today too. Now if they had fought 10 years prior in Bellator I’d pick Askren all day long

1 Like

Colby vs Askren would of been a really fun fight stylistically.

4 Likes

Fun fight

1 Like

Colby would dominate him

1 Like

It’s Askren’s fault Masvidal became so popular. Fuck him

6 Likes

Make it happen, Dana.

Colby by KO. His first clean KO

The KO loss to Jake Paul sure didn’t help Ben’s cause either.

Same with the fact that he didn’t seem to take his conditioning very seriously late in his career. He was just in there for the money. I wouldn’t watch him for one more fight.

1 Like

Stay retired mate

2 Likes

Ill watch it. Masvidal isn’t really THAT good

1 Like