George Sot's decline is no surprise to smart fans

Listen guys, I never saw George Sot as a contender. Skill wise, he is on par with Gray or Frankie, but he lacks one thing.

It's not any big fucking mystery. Those of us who saw Spears starch him, him being rocked by Pellegrino, Lauzon, etc. knew that he had a suspect chin. A suspect chin will carry a guy with great skills so far unless he is able to avoid the shots.

He has A level skills but just a C level chin is all. Not the worst chin ever but not the best. About average for a fighter. This won't cut it.

Skill wise, he's top 10, but chin wise, he's top 30. Fact.

Not really anything earth shaking.

"Why did George suddenly become a non-contender?"

^^^What are those fans talking about. If he can't get a fight to the ground, he'll likely get outstruck and outpointed by decent strikers (Siver, etc.)

If he can't avoid heavy shots, he'll be starched even by the likes of Dos Anjos who has not shown remarkable KO power.

George Sot will win more high profile fights and he will be steamrolled by lower level guys that catch him good. It's really if anything a thing that makes his fights something less predictable and more exciting knowing that he can submit a guy at any point but if he gets hit good that it's all over. I would never bet on a G Sot fight and never have.

I would say its boxing defense more than anything.  Last night's shot came from a mile away and George didn't see it coming.  Had that landed on anyoen, they'd be on their ass.

Goerge is a tough fight for anyone at 155 but he'll never be champ.  

Awesome to watch though, love how slick his jiu jitsu is Phone Post

You don't know how to spell his name huh Phone Post

only surprising thing here is you considering yourself a smart fan

superCalo -
CarlWinslow - You don't know how to spell his name huh >

Pet peeve of mine when people dont go to the effort of learning to spell a fighters name correctly, its disrespectful, if you are going to comment about them at least know their name.

Yet you created a thread misspelling his name horribly? Phone Post

BJJ purist. Lacks wrestling and lacks power in his standup.

I disagree completely, it isn't his chin, it's that his ground game is A+ and his stand up is C+ and is rudimentary, that's why he got smoked by someone using good movement and working off of angles. Simple as that, Sot's biggest weakness is his standup, plan and simple and people are starting to expose it now, guess what, his wrestling isn't that great either. I am a fan of Sot's too, I really am, his top game is sick and his guard is incredible. The other weaknesses have caught up to him.

I just rewatched the fight, his stand up looked much improved. He just got caught.

It isnt his chin, its just he isnt that good. His ground game is good but his standup and wrestling are weak. That just isnt good enough to beat the top guys in the division.

superCalo - Thats a genetic thing, aborionals never engaged in unarmed combat tradtionally, they relied on the boomarang and the spear for hunting and warfare, as such they never evolved to have hard chins to defend against strikes & blows.
So George has that has a disadvantage before he even starts but he can make up for it by using good defense to not get hit and so counteract his genetic deficency.

George is of of Greek heritage. Ain't no Aussie blood in him!

I hate when people get knocked out by a shot that could KO a elephant and people right away say they have "suspect" chins. 

I don't buy this weak chin theory. Sotiropoulos got clipped a few times in the 1st & 2nd against Siver and battled on to lose a decision. Dos Anjos knocked out Sotiropoulos with a great shot that would of floored 99% of the light weights.

I'm not expert, but, my opinion is that George's weakness besides wrestling is his stand up is super predictable.

superCalo - 
CarlWinslow - You don't know how to spell his name huh >

Pet peeve of mine when people dont go to the effort of learning to spell a fighters name correctly, its disrespectful, if you are going to comment about them at least know their name.

george snuffaluffagus

I always knew he had a glass chin... I wish lauzon would have exposed him Phone Post

Most of what gets attributed to a poor chin is actually poor defensive skills. That shot that George took from Dos Anjos would have dropped just about anybody at 155. The difference is that fighters with higher level defensive striking skills would not have taken that shot.

Of course some guys are genetically predisposed to having a better "chin", but if you eat flush power shots on the jaw, most of the time that's not going to matter much.

agreed, ive stated this or a while now

hes overated

pmccor73 - I disagree completely, it isn't his chin, it's that his ground game is A+ and his stand up is C+ and is rudimentary, that's why he got smoked by someone using good movement and working off of angles. Simple as that, Sot's biggest weakness is his standup, plan and simple and people are starting to expose it now, guess what, his wrestling isn't that great either. I am a fan of Sot's too, I really am, his top game is sick and his guard is incredible. The other weaknesses have caught up to him.

He's a good fighter but he was overrated because the UFC hand picked his opponents to get him to contender status. Ok with me tho, I made good $ on his last 2 fights. Can't believe how big of a favorite he was against Dos Anjos, that line should have been almost even....