Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks in October

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_17228.shtml#.UbfNWdjHTg0

Dana White says UFC targeting Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks for October event

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Though many were expecting the UFC Welterweight Championship bout between Georges St-Pierre and Johny Hendricks to head to Toronto, Ontario, Canada, this September, the UFC apparently has different plans in mind.

UFC President Dana White spoke with Canada's Sportsnet program "UFC Central" on Tuesday, and revealed that the UFC is actually targeting that fight for October instead of September.

That's in line with what White said they'd do with St-Pierre after his win over Nick Diaz in March, which is take him out of Canada for his next fight. The Montreal native has fought four straight times in his home country, and hasn't fought elsewhere since defeating Dan Hardy in New Jersey in March of 2010.

St-Pierre returned from a lengthy layoff due to a knee injury last November, defeating Interim Champion Carlos Condit upon his return. He then made one of his quickest turnarounds in recent memory, defeating Diaz in Montreal in March.

Hendricks enters the event on a six fight winning streak, a span which has included first minute knockout wins over Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann, along with wins over top ten opponents (at the time) in Josh Koscheck and the aforementioned Condit.

Penick's Analysis: If St-Pierre's really not headlining the September card in Toronto, things could be getting interesting in terms of which fights headline the fall events. There's every possibility that Jon Jones-Alexander Gustafsson takes the top spot in Toronto, though it would mean the third straight time a Toronto card has been topped by Jones. Or the Heavyweight Trilogy fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos could take that spot, which would push Jones-Gustafsson back further and throw off the timeline for a Jones-Anderson Silva fight. It's hard to say right now which way things will go, but we should find out soon enough as the UFC will have to begin booking those cards in the next few weeks.

Im super hyped for this fight. Might be the end of the reign of GSP. I like GSP but man how can you not root for Hendricks.

McCorkledbyMartialArtsMixed - 
CanadianGSPFan - 

Don't blink, guys. GSP takes this one swiftly and decisively. Phone Post

There is absolutely no way to not blink for 25 minutes.

hahah now thats funny i dont care who you are. Gsp wont take this swiftly. He might grind out a decision but he wont take it switfty.

I've been waiting for this fight for a long time, WAR Hendricks Phone Post 3.0

Yeah who the HELL says "dont blink" when talking about a GSP victory?

Moving it back so Jones can fight in September imo.

I'm hoping Hendricks can make GSP show us something different then his normal safe 25 minute title defenses! Regardless; WAR Hendricks! Phone Post 3.0

I wonder if Dana will wait and see the what the result is between Silva and Weidman in July before announcing this officially.

Remember when he said Silva called him and said he wanted one of the super fights but Dana wouldn't say which one it was...

I have a feeling Silva might be keeping his weight down for this fight vs Weidman to make the cut to 170 a bit easier for himself. I think he would rather cut to 170 and fight GSP than go up to 205 and fight Jones and since GSP has no intention of fighting silva at MW or at a catch weight, I can imagine that Silva would like to take the decision out of his hands and become the number 1 contender at WW so GSP couldn't say no.

This is all speculation obviously and silva has to beat Weidman first, (I personally think he will), but I do think he can make the cut to 170 by October if he had to.

Thoughts? Phone Post 3.0

Waiting on that super fight IMO Phone Post 3.0

McCorkledbyMartialArtsMixed - 
CanadianGSPFan - 

Don't blink, guys. GSP takes this one swiftly and decisively. Phone Post

There is absolutely no way to not blink for 25 minutes.

Zing.

Can GSP win this? Yes. Can he win it by 25 min UD? I don't think so. GSP will have to fight for this win...IMO. That's what makes this fight interesting.

Hendricks went to split decision's vs Grant, Pierce and Koscheck. His window to KO GSP is small...very small.

Hendricks went to split decision's vs Grant, Pierce and Koscheck. His window to KO GSP is small...very small.

tunaburn - Im super hyped for this fight. Might be the end of the reign of GSP. I like GSP but man how can you not root for Hendricks.

I don't root for Hendricks because he comes across as a tool.

Thanks for posting, it's a good article. VU3!

malryan - I wonder if Dana will wait and see the what the result is between Silva and Weidman in July before announcing this officially.

Remember when he said Silva called him and said he wanted one of the super fights but Dana wouldn't say which one it was...

I have a feeling Silva might be keeping his weight down for this fight vs Weidman to make the cut to 170 a bit easier for himself. I think he would rather cut to 170 and fight GSP than go up to 205 and fight Jones and since GSP has no intention of fighting silva at MW or at a catch weight, I can imagine that Silva would like to take the decision out of his hands and become the number 1 contender at WW so GSP couldn't say no.

This is all speculation obviously and silva has to beat Weidman first, (I personally think he will), but I do think he can make the cut to 170 by October if he had to.

Thoughts? Phone Post 3.0

If that fight did happen, it'd be the anniversary show in November surely? Phone Post

CanadianGSPFan - Don't blink, guys. GSP takes this one swiftly and decisively. Phone Post

Swiftly only happens with gsp knocked out in the first. Phone Post

DeWebb -
malryan - I wonder if Dana will wait and see the what the result is between Silva and Weidman in July before announcing this officially.

Thoughts? Phone Post 3.0

If that fight did happen, it'd be the anniversary show in November surely? Phone Post

I agree, I just think it'll be interesting if their is no official GSP fight announcement before Anderson fights in July. I think maybe it's a wait and see thing with Dana right now, if Silva loses, they announce GSP vs Hendricks and if Silva wins and comes out of it uninjured and ready to make the cut to 170, then Hendricks may get bumped out of the picture for Silva vs GSP in Oct/Nov.

I also just read that Jones won't be ready to fight before October as well, I doubt they would have 2 of their biggest champs fighting in the same month. Phone Post 3.0