Get rid of the belts/titles?

What would happen if the UFC got rid of the titles and belts and fights only fought for their fight records? Would that help clear things up a bit or make them worse?

There are too many titles and too many MMA organizations.

I say that the UFC should just run tourneys and have belts for winning those, as they seemingly lose their champs anyway.

I actually mentioned this on another thread a few minutes ago. Their titles don't have much credibility at this point, although it does probably help to have them around when promoting a fighter to the casual fan. When you see someone wearing a big, gold, pro-wrestling style belt, you know instantly that he's supposed to be someone important.

Titles are essentially meaningless. The fact that Tito held onto the belt for yearsdidn't mean he was the best, as many thought (and as has recently been proven false). All that matters is who you fight and how you do against them.

Why not just get rid of events and just showcase the fighters themselves like boxing does?

"Why not just get rid of events and just showcase the fighters themselves like boxing does?"

Because there is no standard of arena, rules, or judging for MMA like there is in boxing. If you box in the States, Brazil, Japan, or Hawaii, you box under the exact same rules, box in the exact same size ring, and your bouts are scored (theoretically) under the same criteria and under the same 10-point must system.

If you fight in MMA in the States, chances are elbows are legal, but knees on the ground, stomps, and soccer kicks are not. You might fight in a cage or a ring. The judges probably use the 10-point must system and count takedowns and positional control more than submissions attempts.

You fight in Japan, let's say Pride and you most certainly fight in a ring, maybe with knees on the ground and soccer kicks and head stomping, but sure as shit no elbows. Effort to finish dominates the scoring, well ahead of takdowns and positional control. No 10-point must system. Bouts aren't even scored round by round.

Hell, it's not even country by country where MMA is different, every event is like it's own little mini-sport, with it's own arena, rules, round system, judging criteria, etc.

ttt

"It's not the UFC's fault that the fighters pull that shit on them. Zuffa makes some mistakes yeah but when it comes to this subject they get backstabbed by the fighters."

There was no friendship, BJ and Zuffa do not have a pact. Basically the UFC can either let BJ fight overseas or not let him fight overseas. For how much they are paying him, I'm sure he'll cry all the way to the bank if the UFC doesn't invite him back.

Does the UFC has fight contracts with the champs or do they only give them one fight contracts too and hope they will take the contenders on in ensuing fights?

Apparently, Penn's fight with Matt Hughes was the last on his contract.

The UFC has made a horrible mistake if they let a championship fight take place without an extended contract!

The only thing I dont like about titles is that in smaller orgs a fighter can come off a loss or even 2 and then jump into another org and be given a title. Even though MMA has a small talent pool, a guy wins 2 fights in the UFC and people are demanding a title shot.

Byron - never thought of that - why didn't they extend the contracts beforehand? :O

have tourneys all yr leading up to a finals/grand prix type of tourney for each weight class...next year champ has to fight weight back to title...

"The only thing I dont like about titles is that in smaller orgs a fighter can come off a loss or even 2 and then jump into another org and be given a title. Even though MMA has a small talent pool, a guy wins 2 fights in the UFC and people are demanding a title shot."

I agree. It just seemed really bush league to me when a fighter would win one "big" fight and be given a title shot.

Titles are great. Something for a fighter to work for. Lately it seems that they don't mean that much. In the case of the 205 pound UFC Title it is meaningful because it is between Belfort and Randy Coutour, two great fighters. Tito sat on his title too long with out fighting Chuck or Vitor Belfort.
Oliver Fig

Agreed. Too many organizations, too many titles/belts, too many weight classes, champs often don't even defend their titles before going to another organization. I too think they should go back to tournaments.